Thread: Early sign of Rhynophyma

Default Early sign of Rhynophyma

I was diagnosed with rosacea in OCT 2008. I believe I had it for years but never considered it as rosacea. The affected area is confined to my nose and the sides, where its extremely oily, red, pores very visible and getting papules on a daily basis unless I take doxycycline.
    I started to notice some skin thickness, bumps and rough patches on the tip of the nose. I am sure its rhynophyma and I need advice on the treatment options available to me. Accutane is probably the most effective option but I also have very dry eyes due to ocular rosacea, so I am not very sure about Accutane. Laser on the other hand seems a little drastic since the bumps are not visible unless at very close distance. What else can I do???? Can IPL address the problems I have?

Thanks

I think that is one of those questions that is impossible to know the answer to. Dr Crouch has talked about this subject in one of his Q&A's I will see which one.

With regards the accutane i wonder if it is worth looking into whether you could try to very lowest doses? The trouble with IPL is that it can make the skin slightly oiler for some time afterwards.

He answers a couple of questions about this topic in this Q&A, one near the beginning and one about half way down:
    http://rosaceagroup.org/QandA/Dr_Pet..._Interview.php

thanks phlika29. will see what my dermatologist say~

I have early rhinophyma. I have actually managed to improve my swelling through diet, using antihistamines, and a mast cell inhibitor nose spray. My latest addition is a high dose of quercetin/bromelain, a nutritional supplement that has been shown to inhibit mast cells (in animals, not humans.) It seems to be helping but I have to wait and see to be sure. Some people have been helped by low level red light therapy. For me the red light therapy works great on my chin, forehead, and eyelid swelling but makes my nose worse...so go figure. Anyway, good luck to you and keep us posted with any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by David147 View Post
    I have early rhinophyma. I have actually managed to improve my swelling through diet, using antihistamines, and a mast cell inhibitor nose spray. My latest addition is a high dose of quercetin/bromelain, a nutritional supplement that has been shown to inhibit mast cells (in animals, not humans.) It seems to be helping but I have to wait and see to be sure. Some people have been helped by low level red light therapy. For me the red light therapy works great on my chin, forehead, and eyelid swelling but makes my nose worse...so go figure. Anyway, good luck to you and keep us posted with any questions.
    Did you have flushing as a symptom of your nose or just swelling without any flushing/flareups.