Thread: Yet another accutane question

Default Yet another accutane question

I here it's good for early rhinophyma, so I am curious agout how it works if anyone knows, they say the nose swelling is from damage lymphs vessels, can lymph vessels ever repair themselves, or is it once they are damaged, they are damaged? how does accutane help with stoppng the swelling? anyone know? I have tried to look on line but can't seem to find anything

Retired Moderator

Cbebe-
    I don't think you and I agree on something. I am not very convinced a lymph/rhinophyma link exists. I have only ever found one reference to "a failure to clear" lymphatic fluid. A more common assumption is a hypertrophic growth of the sebaceous glands. As some people with rhinophyma have no rosacea symptoms, I personally agree with those that think they are two seperate but connected diseases. (Just as many rosaceans suffer from seb derm but not all do and not all seb derm sufferers have rosacea.)

Try this to start- http://rosacea-support.org/treating-...-accutane.html with regard to accutane and rhinophyma.

Rob

I don't know but my nose swells all the time especially when laying down, and it swells also when it is not flushed, I am just wondering if infact my lymph vessels are damaged from all the flushing, can they repair themselves ever, or do they stay that way? and if it is the lymph vessels will accutane help with my condition? I find it weird to be having this symptom so soon after getting rosacea, when I see people that have had it for years and never encounter swelling

Retired Moderator

Darned Cbebe, I wish I were smarter! I did some reading awhile back on the lymphatic system in general but was more focused on lympatic tissue in the arms and lymphadema (the swelling of a limb) usually related to removal of lymph nodes related to breast cancer surgery.

I don't know where the heck it went but I did find a link to a rare form of rosacea that was described as a lymphadema of sorts of the face.

Let me see if I can hunt it up.

I guess though, unfortunately, I don't think the accutane would serve much purpose for a lymphatic issue though.

Rob

Retired Moderator

Okay- here is some lympadema info, rhinophyma, etc.

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thes...lymphedema.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7...?dopt=Abstract

http://www.vgrd.org/archive/cases/2004/md/md.htm

And here is one where they utilized accutane to treat facial edema:
    http://dermatology.cdlib.org/141/cas...ial/patel.html

If you search for rosacea lymphedema you may find some more info. Also try Morbihan's disease which is mentioned in one of the links above.

There is also several website groups that lymphadema is made up of and maybe researching there may give you more insight?

Sorry I'm not more useful but I think you might be on to something from what you describe. I regret that from what I read about lympadema, once the lymphatic system is damaged (specifically after surgery and or radiation) it is not ever "fixable". However, your comment about lying down was especially interesting as with people who have it in there arm(s) they are advised to keep them elevated.

Good luck and I hope this gave you some avenues to investigate. I will be interested to learn what you find.

depressing but thanks!

I had severe nose flushing/swelling for six months straight. A couple of times the pressure inside caused it to bleed slightly. It was hell, along with the face flushing.
    At about eight months it lessened to a degree, meaning it wasn't every day and every night.
    When it happened though, it was awful.

Red light therapy was good at first, but then caused pressure in my face and increased flushing over the next five days. The pressure was painful. I had to have very short sessions.
    After this wore off, I achieved a reduction in the severity of flushing. More noticeably in the nose.

Also around that time, upon going to bed, I would start off upright and gradually slide down my three pillows until I was in a 'sleepable' position. All the while sucking on an icecube. As that was about to be finished, I was more relaxed and more likely to fall asleep before a massive nose flush started.
    At first, they could still happen, but over the months they became less.

I still flush and have to control my face all the time, but the changing of position from standing to laying down has been made easier now.
    Also, during the day, I suck on an ice cube as soon as I feel the sense of flushing about to happen.
    I believe that because I was able to break the cycle with this tedious, but effective method my symptoms have been reduced. Note, I say reduced, not gone, as I am still a wreck.
    It is a relief not to have a huge swollen honker all the time.

I am not certain, but isn't yellow light good for lymphatic drainage? I note Dr Goldberg also mentioned this for rosaceans.
    Previous Numerous IPL.
    Supplements: Niacinamide, Vit K2, low D3, Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Very low dose B's. Low dose zinc (to correct deficiency).
    Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
    Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
    Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
    Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.