Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flushing at night

Quote Originally Posted by Mknlvi View Post
    Another update (can't believe it's 4 years now since last post!).
    I stopped sleeping upright last year because it was too awkward and eventually caused some back pain. When I slept as normal laying down the night flushing started all over again. After looking logically at this for a while it comes down to simple heat buildup of my face when it comes in to contact with anything during sleeping. (It can take only a couple of minutes or half an hour for this to start). It doesn't matter how cold the room is. I looked at chillows etc but they are too cold when first used (this can cause a flush itself) and then heat up like a normal pillow after around 2 hours. So I searched for something that lasts a full 8 hours of sleep.
    Then I read this:
    https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily...82325384633076

The article mentions research has shown 15c is the ideal temperature to narrow blood vessels in the face and reduced inflammation in hospital patients.
    That got me looking around for a water temperature controlled pillow that can be set to 15c and does not change from that set temperature all night.
    I found someone who actually made one at
    https://makezine.com/2014/07/10/my-t...cooled-pillow/
    but from there it appears to be dead.
    Then I found a kickstarter product called 'Moona smart temperature controlled pillow' it is coming out in June and costs $400.
    The only product I could find out in 2017 was called chillpad, it is a quilt cover, not a pillow but can be temperature controlled and costs around 300 in the uk. I ended up buying it out of desperation and it works. I use it as a pillow with the rest of it hanging over my bed rest and my face is basically kept the same temperature and it feels refreshing. 15c is the lowest setting it goes. This now allows me to sleep and have 8 hours without flushing and waking up still swollen in the morning. It's a lot easier than sleeping upright.
    Just wanted to say: really appreciate your time to update + this information. I'm fortunate now that I can sleep lying down again (for a while there it was agony ... sleeping at a regular hour was out of the question...) but if I start having trouble again I will remember your idea of temp-controlled pillows.

So glad you can fall asleep normally now without having to deal with the sitting upright crap.

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    Just wanted to say: really appreciate your time to update + this information. I'm fortunate now that I can sleep lying down again (for a while there it was agony ... sleeping at a regular hour was out of the question...) but if I start having trouble again I will remember your idea of temp-controlled pillows.

So glad you can fall asleep normally now without having to deal with the sitting upright crap.
    How did you fix being able to sleep lying down without flushing?

Quote Originally Posted by redtere View Post
    How did you fix being able to sleep lying down without flushing?
    Not sure exactly what, most likely combination.

-Coming off of all peripheral vasoconstrictors (clonidine, beta blockers)
    -fish oil, evening primrose oil, upping my magnesium (helping circulation + anxiety)
    -stacking antidepressants (effexor + mirtazapine + deplin)
    -botox every 3 months
    -plaquenil
    -heat desensitization (eg, keeping temp high .. 78F after shower, pointing a heater at my torso whenever I sense I'm getting cold, etc)

I definitely had to come off of peripheral vasoconstrictors though (esp. for my nose)