Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quercetin/Bromelain helping swelling

Default Quercetin/Bromelain helping swelling

Hi all
    Just to let people know that the combination of Quercetin/Bromelain is helping reduce my swelling symptoms (I have phymatous rosacea). I'm not sure if it would help those with other symptoms but it really seems to be helping me with mine. I made sure not to change anything else so I could give it a fair trial, and yesterday my friend commented on how great my skin looks. It's taken about 3-4 weeks to really start showing an effect, and my digestion has improved as well. I think it would probably be most helpful for those of us who have digestive problems that appear to be related to our symptoms. The only thing I'm concerned about is that I am borderline low thyroid and it can be a thyroid inhibitor...so if other people have thyroid problems they might want to be careful. Anyway, at this point it is helping me. I am taking QuerCelain by Vitamin Research products. I take 2 tablets on an empty stomach three times per day...20 minutes before eating. Two tablets contain 442 mg Vitamin C, 34 mg Magnesium, 666 mg Quercetin, and 200 mg Bromelain. There was some early research that linked quercetin with tumors, but that has not been replicated in later studies but people might want to do their homework before starting this regimen. Nonetheless, I wanted to share because at this point I am very pleased with how my skin looks and the significant reduction in facial swelling.
    Blessings and all good things,
    Queta
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for this information Queta. I am new to the forum. I have swelling mostly in my cheeks, nose and eyelids and I'm also hypothyroid (Hashimotos). I have always wondered if the swelling was more related to my thyroid rather than the rosacea - but it's so hard to know and at this point it doesn't matter. My main symptoms are burning, swelling, ocular, redness and flushing triggers are heat, exercise and wine. IPL has helped my swelling some but it doesn't last (and obviously doesn't help the ocular rosacea eyelid swelling). Do you have nose flushing/swelling? If so has the quercetin helped with this? Will do my research on the thyroid issues b/f starting but the little reading that I have done with regard to quercetin - I've been very impressed.

Again thanks for sharing.

Jen

Default quercetin/bromelain helping swelling

Hello
    Yes, I have nose flushing and swelling, but more swelling than flushing. Many times my nose will appear pale but will be enlarged. I also have swelling in my forehead, cheeks, chin, and eyelids. The quercetin/Bromelain combo I'm taking has helped those problems. Another thing which helps my chin, eyelid, and chin swelling is red light therapy. It makes my nose more flushy but improves the other swollen areas and my overall skin texture. Anyway, the quercetin/bromelain continues to help my nose swelling. My nose used to swell a lot, especially in the morning but it has dramatically improved now that I have been taking the quercetin/bromelain 2 capsules 3 times per day on an empty stomach for about two and one-half weeks.

As far as the hypothyroid and swelling thing, I know what you mean about being confused about what is causing the swelling. About 4 years ago I went to a doctor and complained that my face was puffy. He did a lot of tests and decided that I was a little low thyroid (based upon a radioactive re-uptake test) and put me on Armour thyroid. It was awful for me...it made me lose my hair, turn my hair gray, lose a lot of weight, and make my face really puffy around the jawline. I looked like Richard Nixon. I was soooo depressed. At that point I went off the Armour and my face very slowly went back to normal but I still get the puffy around the jawline thing during certain days of my cycle. So I'm a little worried about the quercetin/bromelain interfering with my thyroid. I think I'll keep taking the quercetin/bromelain for another month and then go into the doc and have a thyroid test done again. Anyway, for me thyroid swelling seems to happen under the jawline-making me have a round face whereas rosacea swelling is eyelid swelling, nose swelling, chin swelling, and forehead swelling. My rosacea swelling also leads to a change in the facial texture (more enlarged pores, etc.)

Well, that's my two cents' worth. Let me know how you decide to proceed, but considering you have Hashi's please be a little careful!

Take care,
    Queta
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have looked into taking quercetin several times over the years, but never got around to actually doing it. In light of your results with a reduction of swelling Queta, I thought this was something I would like to try.
    I am not absolutely sure, but it appears that neither product is sold in Australia. At least not without a bunch of other ingredients added.
    I wonder if there is a restriction due to the studies performed on the thyroid.
    I'll make a few phone calls today and see what I can find out.

Something I would like to ask. Do you know if there is quercetin in green tea? I take the tablets. I found one website which said there was, but others didn't mention it at all.
    I know apples contain it, but probably not enough.
    Previous Numerous IPL.
    Supplements: Niacinamide, Vit K2, low D3, Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Very low dose B's. Low dose zinc (to correct deficiency).
    Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
    Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
    Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
    Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

Default Quercetin/Bromelain

Hello
    I did a little checking and noticed that there is quercetin in green tea but I couldn't find out how much. I ordered my quercetin on-line; I don't know if you can get it delivered to Australia or not. I know the jury is still out about how safe this is but docs do use it in the States for bladder cystitis. I'm a little worried about the thyroid issue but like I said I'm going to try it for a month and then get my levels checked. I just wanted to share my experience because I think it's important for people to have as much info as possible and then make up their own mind.
    Cheers
    Queta
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hmm I have some quercetin powder to be used mixed in a topical cream, I might try it out.

Some time ago, I was very interested in trying Calcium Dobseliate, as a one off trial has shown pleasing results. It isn't available here though and also, it is illegal to import it, so that idea went out the window.

A scientist told me that quercetin is similar in structure and might have similar effects.
    Topicals only work if they can penetrate the skin. It might be worth calling your pharmacist Valby and asking the best way to go about it.
    Previous Numerous IPL.
    Supplements: Niacinamide, Vit K2, low D3, Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Very low dose B's. Low dose zinc (to correct deficiency).
    Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

I called one of our main Health shops yesterday to enquire about Quercetin and Bromelain. I was told they are script only and I would need a consultation with the naturopath.
    A costly, pointless endeavour.
    When I mentioned the thyroid studies, the woman had never heard of them.
    I think it is back to the trusty pharmacist for me and see what he has to say.
    Previous Numerous IPL.

Thanks Queta for all the info. I am planning to take it for a month and then will get my thyroid checked. The endocrinologist I see is a firm believer is supplements ( Dr. Kenneth Blanchard - he's very well known with a few good books out) so I plan to call him to get his 2 cents. Will post again if I get any good info related to thyroid concerns.

Jen

Default Quercetin

Quote Originally Posted by badhairday View Post
    Thanks Queta for all the info. I am planning to take it for a month and then will get my thyroid checked. The endocrinologist I see is a firm believer is supplements ( Dr. Kenneth Blanchard - he's very well known with a few good books out) so I plan to call him to get his 2 cents. Will post again if I get any good info related to thyroid concerns.

Jen
    Hi Jen
    Thanks so much! I'd love to hear your endo's opinion.
    Queta
    Ralph Waldo Emerson