Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to stop early rhinophyma

Quote Originally Posted by lamarr View Post
    Mepacrine relieved my nose swelling, i believe i was begining to see growth on one side. That has stopped now. Before this i found anti histamines helped some, but i had to take like two of the 24 hr ones because the effects only lasted like ten hours... I ended up taking 5-6 of the 4 hr ones. 6 was the max dose er day.
    Hey Lamarr, I looked up that medication and it is not available over here in Canada. How has your rosacea been? Still in remission (flushing etc.). Did you ever sort out a way to help rid the left over broken caps and risidual redness?

Retired Moderator

I think this link may be useful on the Mast cell and Nasalcrom info. If this is old news, sorry!

http://rosacea-support.org/rynacrom-...-beconase.html

What are the early signs of rhinophyma? I mean, I obviously have seb. dermatitis and it's worse around my nose but I haven't noticed any blotchiness apart from the sebum that gets build up on my t-area (worst area is, yes, my nose). I don't think anyone in my family has got rhinophyma... I got a rather big nose tip naturally, so I definitely wouldn't like it to become any bigger haha.

Well, I'm no doctor or expert, but I would imagine that transient swelling, redness, enlarged pores, thickened skin and slight changes in contour would be the start.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFaced View Post
    Well, I'm no doctor or expert, but I would imagine that transient swelling, redness, enlarged pores, thickened skin and slight changes in contour would be the start.
    Doesn't those symptoms almost always occur in seb. derm?

Quote Originally Posted by isitrosacea View Post
    Doesn't those symptoms almost always occur in seb. derm?
    I have never heard about swelling or thickened skin with Seb Derm. (someone correct me is this is wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by Mknlvi View Post
    I have never heard about swelling or thickened skin with Seb Derm. (someone correct me is this is wrong).
    Correct. I had these problems with thickening, enlarged pores, etc. I had redness around my nose and redness in the cheeks so my dermatologist said it was sub derm, and he was so very very wrong. He even tried to tell me "well, close up, peoples noses tend to look like this". Not the greatest doctor. It sounds like rosacea.

Quote Originally Posted by beansprout View Post
    Correct. I had these problems with thickening, enlarged pores, etc. I had redness around my nose and redness in the cheeks so my dermatologist said it was sub derm, and he was so very very wrong. He even tried to tell me "well, close up, peoples noses tend to look like this". Not the greatest doctor. It sounds like rosacea.
    I never have any flushing... and I got white gunk (sebum) coming out of my pores in the t-zone and in the hairline. I got dandruff in the scalp, no redness. I got a toenail fungus which is usually related to seb. derm. Is the dead skin problem just as usual in rosacea as it is in seb. derm?

My face never looks like this:

Last edited by isitrosacea; 9th February 2009 at 10:44 PM.

It seems that I can't edit my previous post, so I'll post a new one. Usually my face looks something like this:

No constant redness, but for some reason my nose area gets very oily, flaky and sometimes reddish.

I don't know...maybe best thing to do is to see another derm for an opinion or also, take a close look at picutres of yourself from a few years back and see if you notice any changes in the shape and/or size of your nose.