Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to stop early rhinophyma

Default How to stop early rhinophyma

Any advice here on this issue? I can find nothing anywhere on this. All that is out there is laser treatment to cut off excess tissue once it is severe and causing disfigurement.

I read Accutane can help which I took and it worked or helped while on it but left me with worse flushing so going back on it is not an alternative. Does anyone know if Accutane will continue to work or at least help/lesson things over the long term even once finished?

Anyone else read or know of anything that will stop the progression? I keep reading that early prevention is the best treatment, but then they say nothing works to stop it as it is the end stage of Rosacea...and Co2 is the only thing to help it once it reached that stage of disfigurement? So figure that one out. I also keep reading that lasers are possibly helpful but then as many times as I read that I also read that lasers can make Rosacea worse and have in cases from posters.

Any literature anyone has read or knows of would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying the Rosacea Ltd at the moment and also taking Oral Zinc. I wonder if Antibiotics are worth a shot for this?

Also dealing with severe Neuropathic pain from Rosacea which I have struggles to find answers to...All that keeps me going these days are the stories from people who put severe Rosacea into remission (it has happened) and words from a Rosacea Dr that "nothing in rosacea is irreversible". Here is kepping hope alive
    Last edited by RedFaced; 21st January 2009 at 09:12 PM.

Default Early rhinophyma

Hello
    Sorry to hear you're having a rough time. I have early rhinophyma. I have actually managed to improve my swelling through diet, using antihistamines, and a mast cell inhibitor nose spray. My latest addition is a high dose of quercetin/bromelain, a nutritional supplement that has been shown to inhibit mast cells (in animals, not humans.) It seems to be helping but I have to wait and see to be sure. Some people have been helped by low level red light therapy. For me the red light therapy works great on my chin, forehead, and eyelid swelling but makes my nose worse...so go figure. Anyway, good luck to you and keep us posted with any questions.
    Regards
    Queta
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi there, thanks for the response.

Could you elaborate on your diet, what brand nose spray (is this a prescription etc.) and also what specific antihistamine you are using? Thanks again.

I am also wondering about Dapsone. Have you inquired about this at all for Rhinophyma? It would seem to make some sense as Dapsone is used for resistant Rosacea and also for Leprosy - if you look at Leprosy patients and late stage severe Rosacea patients, there are some similarities (swelling of common facial regions).

I am also wondering what you have been told if anything in terms of if you are able to get your flushing and rest of your rosacea under control would that also hault the Rhinophyma.

Thanks again

Dr Crouch's last Q&A touched on whether treatment with IPL might help at all.

It is well worth reading:
    http://rosaceagroup.org/QandA/Dr_Pet..._Interview.php

Default Early rhinophyma

Quote Originally Posted by RedFaced View Post
    Hi there, thanks for the response.

Could you elaborate on your diet, what brand nose spray (is this a prescription etc.) and also what specific antihistamine you are using? Thanks again.
    Hello
    I am using the over-the-counter anti-histamine chlor-trimeton 4 mg once per day. The nasal spray is also over-the-counter and is called NasalCrom. My diet is very boring and strict. No spicy foods, no citrus, no dairy, no sugar, no gluten, no alcohol, and reduced carbs. I have to say that the quercetin/bromelain combo is really helping my nose swelling. Check out my thread on that topic in the oral products section.

Good luck..don't worry. My early rhinophyma has actually regressed due to all the things I am doing to correct it.

Cheers
    Queta
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hey - thanks again for the reply.

May I also ask where you read or heard about the Nose spray helping Rhinophyma? I would be interested to read up on this regarding the Mast cells etc.

BTW, I was on Accutane for 9 months @40 mg last year which stopped the Rhinophyma but now it has started again about 6 months later.

Too bad I could not go back on Accutane because it ended up making my flushing worse but I have A LOT less oil on my face now which is great and hopefully helping the nose (knock on wood that the oil does not come back). Just watch your dose and flushing because there were a number of poeple I came across who has worse flushing after Accutane.

Hey - look what I found...you are a smart cookie if you came up with the connection and treatment yourself.

http://www.rosacea-treatment-clinic....hinophyma.html

How much of a difference has the spray made for you?

So I found one here in Canada called "Cromolyn Nasal Mist" I am assuming this is the same thing?

How often do you use it? How many times/sprays per day?

Thanks again

Hi, here is somethin useful links regarding the nasal spray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group.../message/57650

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromoglicic_acid

Also, Red Face how long have you had rosacea for?