Thread: Tylenol cools the body

Default Tylenol cools the body

Like many with rosacea, I've always run hot. Warm rooms in winter or a hot summer's day have always been two of my biggest triggers. About a year ago I realized that perhaps antipyretics (fever reducers) would be helpful. These include aspirin, your NSAIDs (e.g., ibuprofen), and Tylenol. They work by reducing the temperature set point in the hypothalamus, so your body does less work to cool itself (i.e., less flushing) at any given temperature. Nowadays, I take a 650 mg, 8-hour timed release Tylenol capsule whenever I know I'm going to be in a warm environment. Whereas before I had a difficult time tolerating rooms over 70 degrees, my comfort tolerance is more like 72 degrees now. It doesn't sound like much, but I think we all recognize that's a huge difference!

Even over-the-counter medications like Tylenol, aspirin, and NSAIDs aren't harmless, so be careful and let your doctor know you are taking them. Aspirin and NSAIDs can cause stomach and kidney problems. Too much Tylenol can be harmful to your liver.

I always thought I "ran hot" as you say because of the constant heat eminating from my face. However, every time I go to the doctor and they take my temperature it comes up slightly cooler than 98.6 degrees. Obviously my internal temp is not running hot just my facial skin temp. Would tylenol have any effect on the skin temp?

Interestingly, I am also usually half a degree to a degree under the "normal" temp of 98.6. This is likely typical of rosacea sufferers as we are always trying to stay cool (wearing less clothes than others, for example). Tylenol acts in the hypothalamus, and not directly on the skin, but the result is that your body feels cooler, which also affects your skin. Whether your natural temp is above or below 98.6, which is just an average, the effect should the same.

Hi rcheeks and thanks for the info.
    Any reason you prefer Tylenol (acetaminophen) over ibuprofen or aspirin?

I know the latter two can also reduce inflammation but also irritate the stomach and affect blood clotting which doesn't happen with Tylenol. I also know that ibuprofen can affect the kidney (mainly if there is an underlying kidney problem) and that is not likely with Tylenol or aspirin unless taking large doses for a long period of time.

Does Tylenol work best at cooling your body vs the other 2 types of antipyretics?
    Lastly, have you tried lower doses of acetaminophen or do you need the 650 mg timed release for best results?

Thanks,
    Melissa

btw 2 degrees (farenheit) is a huge difference!

Hi,

I also experience this problem of low body temperature sometimes.
    when my temperature is higher than normal, I usually get very pale and feel cold all the time. Sometimes (not often) I have these days in which I am very flushed, have headaches and feel warm all the time (as if I have some internal heat that my body is trying to release) and eventually discover that my temperature is around 36 Celsius (96.8 F). On these occasions I usually take paracetamol (same thing as Tylenol) and it helps a lot. I have to take 2 tablets (total of 1000 mg), since one does not seem to affect me.
    When my body temperature goes back to normal, I no longer feel warm and the flushing goes away gradually .
    My GP explained to me that the paracetamol regulates the body temperature no matter if it's higher or lower than normal.
    I don't know if it would cool the body if it's already at the normal temperature.

Yael.

Retired Moderator

I just wanted to add that the decision to utilize Tylenol versus the alternatives must be weighed carefully.
    It's all a choice and I am not trying to disuade anyone, just trying to inform.
    This is an article that while not a peer reviewed journal by any means, is interesting. Myself and my family are all fairly active social drinkers. We don't have tylenol in the house and I don't go near the stuff. If I never drank, I wouldn't mind it, but since I do, why take the risk is my philosophy.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...r-failure-plus

Hi Rob:

Good article, I've heard about the dangers of drinking alcohol along with tylenol to damage your liver. but I really didn't know that just by consuming tylenol often w/o the alcohol could also be dangerous. Good to know, best to stick to aspirin etc althought just like everything other side effects. I remember hearing about a case of a man who drank a 6 pak of beer later felt a headache and took 2 tylenols. ended up in emergency and had permanently damaged his liver.
    using elidel at night, taking atelenol, had 2 vbeam laser treatments, 46 year old female