Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IPL & Differin

Default IPL & Differin

A very quick question that I should have asked my dermatologist earlier today.

She's prescribed me Differin to try for the seemingly eternal, very stubborn blackheads on my nose. However, I'm in the midst of IPL treatments (I've had 2, I have my third scheduled in about 2 weeks).

The derm doing my IPLs is a different derm than this one. Anyway, I forgot to ask her if I should hold off on starting to try Differin, a (relatively) mild retinoid, until I've finished my course of IPL. Can you do both at the same time?

I know you should save real medical questions for the docs (and if I get over my laziness I'll just call her), but this seems like a question that isn't specific to a patient and would be the same for everybody. Maybe one of you has used/done both and knows. Thanks!

Retired Moderator

Honestly, why take the chance? Why not just wait the two weeks?
    I have used Differin and it may make you peel a bit, especially when you just start and will definitely make your skin more sensitive to light.
    Rob

As rob said I would wait.

Sounds good, and that makes a ton of sense. Just FYI, I'm very conservative about what I use on my face and when I use it, so I wasn't about to jump into dumping a new, harsh substance on my face in the middle of IPL! I just thought I'd double check.

I've never used a retinoid of any kind before and I'm somewhat nervous to use it under any circumstances, let alone while getting IPL. However, I've heard Differin is at least a bit more mild & I'll only be using it on my nose when I start once a week, maybe kicking it up a little bit if I get used to it but probably never using it even close to every day.

Thanks again for the advice!

I have horrible experiences with 'topical A' and IPL.
    If you remove a layer of skin, it is likely to react badly to react to IPL.
    The same thing happened to me when I tried a toner, which contained quite high levels of lactic acid ( amount unknown to me at the time). Also, as Rob mentioned, 'topical A' makes the body light sensitive.

The advice I have been given as to when to discontinue 'topical A', ranges from four days to two weeks prior to IPL, depending on who is giving the advice
    Personally, I would wait until you have completed IPL.

A word of warning, all topical A's can increased redness, so definitely test patch carefully.
    Previous Numerous IPL.
    Supplements: Niacinamide, Vit K2, low D3, Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Very low dose B's. Low dose zinc (to correct deficiency).
    Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
    Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
    Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
    Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

An additional thought.
    Have you considered a less aggressive product for your blackheads?
    Such as salicylic acid?
    Also, it would be worth asking Webbie how she is going with her Nucelle regime ( mandelic acid). Last time we spoke she was finding it helpful. Hopefully it is still working for her.
    Previous Numerous IPL.
    Supplements: Niacinamide, Vit K2, low D3, Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Very low dose B's. Low dose zinc (to correct deficiency).
    Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
    Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
    Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
    Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

Hi -

The few Derm's I've gotten IPL's and Vbeams suggest stopping any peeling type agents 3-4 full days before the procedure as well as any antibiotics. After the procedure, you should wait until your skin isn't sensitive or irritated, which can vary from a few days to a week or so. You can call your Derm. to advise.

Yvette

Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dardanelles View Post
    Sounds good, and that makes a ton of sense. Just FYI, I'm very conservative about what I use on my face and when I use it, so I wasn't about to jump into dumping a new, harsh substance on my face in the middle of IPL! I just thought I'd double check.

I've never used a retinoid of any kind before and I'm somewhat nervous to use it under any circumstances, let alone while getting IPL. However, I've heard Differin is at least a bit more mild & I'll only be using it on my nose when I start once a week, maybe kicking it up a little bit if I get used to it but probably never using it even close to every day.

Thanks again for the advice!
    Couple of things. I have used Differin with great success. Just for me, I really like it. I get little pimples on my oily forehead along my hairline- or as I age, what was my original hairline anyway.
    So, I have used it for awhile in that area. Point is, it is very mild really on me as I have an oily t-zone. It can be very drying I am given to understand. Doesn't smell, no residue which are good points. I have used it on my nose for the blackheads as has my wife. Works much better than salicylic acid and frankly, I am not convinced that salicylic acid was any less harsh than differin on me anyway.
    Anyway, you be the judge and do whatever makes you comfortable. I will only point out that using differin once a week won't likely achieve anything. Differin and retin-a work (and forgive me as I haven't read this in a long time so my memory may be off) by normalizing the shedding of cells from your oil glands. It keeps the pores unblocked so to speak. Anyway, it must be used regularly for it to work. I would say a minimum of every other day.
    Unfortunately, used extremely intermittently won't have any desired effect as it is a cumulative effect when used regularly- it's not a liquid pore strip. You can read the info in the box, google it or look at their website. It will give you better detail about it's method of action than I can possibly remember.
    However, I will again warn you that you may experience some mild peeling and as Mistica wisely mentioned it can very likely make you pink. The peeling and redness usually subsides with regular or so they say.
    So, I don't know if this stuff is for you but it has worked well for me but my skin isn't particularly sensitive and still consider the good advice you received above.
    Yours,
    Rob

Hi -

I'm not a Dr., but what Rob says about using Differin once a week is pretty true. You likely need to use 3-5 times a week for the skin to benefit - exfoliate the skin and unclog the pores. Granted if you are using mild exfoliants already you need to decide "which to use" as both will very likely aggravate and over exfoliate your skin. Differin gel/cream is made for more sensitive skin as is Ziana and Atralin. Generally, Derm's prescribe Differin first as it's usually well tolerated for those that don't have uber sensitive skin. Everyone is different though - we all have different types of skin and what it can tolerate or not. I recommend doing a test patch first (for a day or two) and if all is good, try using a very light amount on your face 2-3 times a week to see if it goes well. Use very gentle skin care and cleansers - to keep the skin barrier hydrated as much as possible.

As always, check with your Dr. about any concerns you have. Good luck.

Yvette

I should clarify as I worded that terribly, but I meant to say when I do begin using this prescription, I am meant to use it once a week and work my way up assuming my skin tolerates it. I understand using it once a week in the long term will not really do much good. I'm a bit nervous to try it, and I probably won't for a month or two when I'm done with IPLs, and then we'll see.

Thanks for the advice!