Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: had 2nd v-beam today

Quote Originally Posted by paperbag View Post
    if you are using vasline, why not use bacitracin? since you had so much done, be safe and use a petroleum jelly with an antibiotic in it. or if you can't get bacitracin, use polysporin.
    I have tried those in the past and found I reacted to them so I just do the vasaline as I have NO reaction whatsoever and after a tx I seem to react to everything for about 2wks or so.

Phlika.....do you have a link for that moisturizer you are using? I am always looking for anything to try that won't set off my skin....mineral oil has been the only thing I seem to not react to these days....but even if I only put a tiny on and blot it off with a cloth it doesn't work well under foundation

Edit: geez I am such a dunce sometimes....I just realized I have been spelling purpuric wrong in my posts! and signature!! Oops....me a bad speller
    Last edited by Lookout; 23rd January 2009 at 03:58 PM.
    Dx 1998

Phlika......I tried finding it on the web and it's there but no ingredients listed would you mind posting those?

I wonder if this is available in Canada? If so I could have my spouse stop at the drug store before he comes home this weekend....otherwise I could order it online....but need to see the ingredients first to be sure I could even try it.

Thanks for your help!
    Dx 1998

As far as moisurizers go, I really like the Toleriane facial fluide. You can even get it directly from amazon now. Gosh I hope that company does not go out of business.

Phlika, I suffer mainly from permanant redness with some flushing and blushing, but its mostly perm redness that is giving me a problem.

The Simple lotion is nothing special but for some reason I can tolerate it. I will have a look at the ingredients and post them up tomorrow . Dr Chu often recommends neutrogena and (eucerin if you have seb derm). I would wait a few weeks before trying anything new, you don't want to risk upsetting your face.

Hozer-well then I am not sure that purpura will be necessary. Have you tried other lasers/IPL?

Phlika,
    I think I have had about 30 or IPL (maybe 20 or 25), I can't remember...with 5 or so docs/practioners. It has helped to some degree...maybe. I have had to V-beam treatments with the perfecta, using the cooling device, without result. But I don't know the energy level and duration. I had the doctors office send me my file so I can compare levels, but I don't have it yet. All I can say is that I did not even get red after the V-beam so I am guessing (and hoping) that he didnt use enough energy...and therefore leave the possibility of more energy/shorter duration being beneficial.
    But you are saying I don't need purpura to treat perm redness? I don't know. However, I have been thinking about asking him do some spots at different levels/duration and monitor the spots. The treat at the setting that takes it almost up to purpura, but not quite. That way I could start treatment anytime.

Thanks Phlika .....I appreciate you posting the ingredients when you get a chance.

Hozer, I react to toleriane facial fluid.

My main complaint is perm redness.....I did 4 Vbeams & experienced lot's of swelling, redness and long downtime after each tx with a few bruises (10-15) spread out over my entire face. It did nothing to improve the perm redness.....that is why I am doing the purpuric now to see what happens.....IPL just doesn't work for me on the perm redness did many of those (15 or more).....I would think VBeam is the best choice but maybe YAG......
    Dx 1998

I got my file and it says 7 J/cm^2, 10ms, 4 pulse. It was with the perfecta. So this seems consistent with a typical non-purpuric level of treatment. Should I request more energy and or a shorter duration? How would one discuss this with the doctor? Both treatments were the same although I mildly suggested that we amp it up on the second because I do not even have redness. It would seem there is some room to increase the settings without too much of any issue.

For those who had some bruising at 7 J, what was the pulse duration? At 10ms it wouldn't seem to bruise, but maybe at less than 5ms it would? Should I request something like a 7J with 5 ms?

try 1.5ms, this is a common purpuric setting

I am thinking of stepping into it rather that going straight for 1.5ms. Suppose 5ms or 3ms works good for me, then there may not be a need to go to the full purpuric setting to see results. Just thinking out loud at this point.

Default What I've Experienced.

I was clicking through threads as i like to do and came across this one. It hits alot of important observations so i thought id comment. I have constant redness that spans all of my cheeks.
    Over a year ago when i was just realizing that there was a serious problem with my face i quickly jumped online, found a medspa advertising bbl (IPL), and began treatments every 2 weeks. Fast forward 3 months, i had dumped much of my own cash into ipl treatments that essentially put heat into my face and yielded virtually no results. The post treatment flushing was intense, longlasting, and at no point during treatmnet did i perceive progress. I kept up for 3 months because i thought this IPL technology was the end of the road, that there was nothing more effective. I became desperate.
    Then i learned of the Pulsed dye laser, specifically the Vbeam. At this time i have had 5 Vbeams with only the 1st being entirely purpuric.I will lay it out here for you what i believe and have seen. Bruising is key to results, albeit the results will not show through until approx 2 months. But i have had 4 nonpurpuric at 7.5 and they just weren't worth it. My rosacea had actually become raised just due to the volume of blood vessels, along with orange peel texture. After the 1st purpuric had cleared up, my texture was notably improved and the red had turned to pink. Thats results.
    In my experience, IPL just pisses things off, Pulsed dye lasers on purpuric setting is the answer. A doc that wants to treat at bruising levels is being straightforward and realistic- a doc that shys away from bruising is aiming to get you in for repeat treatments until who knows when to rack up a huge bill. Purpuric vbeam has also helped my eyes.