Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: had 2nd v-beam today

Default had 2nd v-beam today

same power of 7 joules but much more purpura...not sure why. my only guess is I think he did more pulses.

anyway, i'm hiding at home again scared at how I look. I didn't fall asleep until 5am this morning I'm so scared.

i had to cancel a therapist appointment, not getting my mail, and not mailing letters that need to be mailed :-(

god....how pathetic am i.....

if anyone has just had a v-beam and wants to talk for support via e-mail, please don't hesitate to reply.

paperbag

I get vbeam treatments for my birthmark at 10 joules. Put sunscreen on it and keep it moist with moisturizer.

It might be worth getting them to turn it down to six next time. When I have it on six I still get purpura in most of the places that get hit and yet it fades relatively quickly with less swelling,etc. (obviously different machines vary).

As it is then you just have to ride it out. Watch some movies, read some books, look on the internet

Hi Joe
    Don't stress. It is absolutely normal to look awful after Vbeam (for me anyway LOL) and I just relax, catch up on reading and movies and make lots of popcorn I look at it as a type of minivacation with myself. And you will heal so do not get crazy stressed. Remember you healed just great from the first VBeam and you will from this one as well. Just be patient!

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Default hi thanks for replying

hi everyone

thanks for replying.

i always worry...i can't stop it.

the first v-beam was much different in response. It started off slightly bruised, then actually looked almost completely cleared after a week, then gradually got redder again, then gradually faded.

this time the bruise is darker purple in color. no scabbing, but a darker color bruise.

7 joules is a good setting for me. i have tried 9 before and was purple for a month...not red or pink but really purple.

i don't know why it is more bruised this time, except as i mentioned last time the doctor did 4 zaps instead of 3.

all the areas i wanted treated were treated, so that is good.

my main concern is from the previous 2 v-beams i had with another doctor. i switched doctors because the first doctor really bruised me to the point of scabbing. and he had his physician assistant doing the laser. my main worry is that she wasn't trained enough, use too much power. I dunno. I am really worried about 3 small circles of redness that may be from the v-beam that weren't there before. that is, permanent circular indentations in the skin.

this is so sad, because when i started off....all I had was one main spider vein in my scar, which was readily visible, and some very faint spider veins running along the side of the scar. those didn't even bother me, just the big spider vein in the scar. these were discrete, linear veins. now where they have been treated is diffuse red. i just don't understand what is going on. i have areas of redness that weren't even red before the v-beam that i'm now having to treat with the v-beam. and i gave the last treatment 7 weeks to fade, so I don't think it's residual v-beam redness, although it could be.

Smile V-Beam

Quote Originally Posted by paperbag View Post
    hi everyone

thanks for replying.

i always worry...i can't stop it.

the first v-beam was much different in response. It started off slightly bruised, then actually looked almost completely cleared after a week, then gradually got redder again, then gradually faded.

this time the bruise is darker purple in color. no scabbing, but a darker color bruise.

7 joules is a good setting for me. i have tried 9 before and was purple for a month...not red or pink but really purple.

i don't know why it is more bruised this time, except as i mentioned last time the doctor did 4 zaps instead of 3.

all the areas i wanted treated were treated, so that is good.

my main concern is from the previous 2 v-beams i had with another doctor. i switched doctors because the first doctor really bruised me to the point of scabbing. and he had his physician assistant doing the laser. my main worry is that she wasn't trained enough, use too much power. I dunno. I am really worried about 3 small circles of redness that may be from the v-beam that weren't there before. that is, permanent circular indentations in the skin.

this is so sad, because when i started off....all I had was one main spider vein in my scar, which was readily visible, and some very faint spider veins running along the side of the scar. those didn't even bother me, just the big spider vein in the scar. these were discrete, linear veins. now where they have been treated is diffuse red. i just don't understand what is going on. i have areas of redness that weren't even red before the v-beam that i'm now having to treat with the v-beam. and i gave the last treatment 7 weeks to fade, so I don't think it's residual v-beam redness, although it could be.
    Hi Paperbag,

Did you have the v-beam treatments to help with rosacea?

I am interested in getting some v-beam treatments to minimize the redness from rosacea. If so, Do you know whick type of v-beam was used? and did you notice the treatments helping reduce the redness? From all the things I have read on people who had v-beam treatments, most of them report swelling or bruising after, but it always goes away after a while. Hope you heal fast.

Smile

Hi Paperbag...
    I can completely relate to your fears!
    I had my first vbeam yesterday for rosacea/redness. The doctor treated the entire face, though most of my redness is concentrated in the cheek area. I don't know what setting she used, though it was a Candela Vbeam machine. I ended up with about 15 dark purple/red bruises, each the size of a pencil eraser, all over different areas of my face.
    Strangely, the darkest ones are on my lower cheekline, which isn't red at all.
    I'll be thinking good thoughts for you as I hope to heal quickly myself!
    I'm applying the arnica gel three times a day and trying to keep moist in this crazy, drying NY winter weather.
    Good luck!
    nell

chris b: I had the VBeam for treatment of a red scar, but I use this forum because it is very supportive, and I have a hard time finding a good scar forum. Also, a lot of people here use Vbeam, and this is what I use. I've done it many times in the past. Recently I've had 4 Vbeams and am still red. Two with a previous doctor and two with a new doctor. The new doctor seems to help more, but it's still red. What I'm worried about are the small indentation created by the first doctor. They look like small holes from the Vbeam head piece. I know the Vbeam is flattening the raised part of my scar, which is good, but it's indenting the level parts. The bruising has gone away after 1 week. Now again it's another waiting 2 months to see if anything fades.

akamaiamama: I totally understand what you mean. It's confusing why doctors use the V-beam on parts that don't even bother you. I try to go over with the doctor beforehand with a mirror where I want treatment, but it really scares me because I'm afraid of doctors. It's like they see things you don't, and then it just creates more problems for you because you have more spots to cover, when you didn't even worry about those places in the first place.

To be honest, I don't think arnica gel or vitamin K or anything makes these spots heal faster. I think it is a waste of your money. I've tried arnica and vitamin K and really saw no difference, and was frustrated I wasted the time and money. I've also been told my laser doctors that they don't recommend those, and they think the only reason for those creams is to make money for the companies who make them. The only thing I can suggest immediately post operation is ice to reduce swelling. Have you tried using a humidifier to keep your skin moist?

anyway, I greatly appreciate that I am in your thoughts. that was very kind of you. this scar has really ruined my life and I appreciate any kindnesses.

I am basically back to where I was before the second V-beam with the new doc. Now I just have to wait another 5-7 WEEKS alone in my room by myself to see any results. fun.

Well I think you need to get out of that room of yours. By isolating yourself you run the risk of making things seem worse than they are. My advice would be to just go out, go see some friends, a movie, anything really.

If you are worried about going out before the marks fade then perhaps give it another week or so but really no one is going to comment and if they do so what, just tell them what you had done. Most people are just interested and will commiserate with you. Best of all you can scare small children out shopping with their parents

Default if you don't where I've been....

....you don't know where I'm coming from.