Page 84 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has had Vitamin D Levels Checked?

Nobody has shown results so far (save Dan). But nobody has been on it for that long.

From a different angle, though, modulating it may be part of the mix.

Maybe it only helps with Rosacea that happens naturally, and not with Rosacea that is caused from topicals/chemicals/medications??

Quote Originally Posted by tp912 View Post
    Maybe it only helps with Rosacea that happens naturally, and not with Rosacea that is caused from topicals/chemicals/medications??
    I suspect it works when the main problem is infection, either at the skin's surface or intestinally. I've pretty much proven to myself that mine is entirely intestinal, since antibiotics (and once, oregano oil) cause me to go into 100% remission for a short time, while topicals of any kind (tea tree oil, Eurax cream, Rosacea Ltd) do nothing whatsoever for me. It makes sense that it wouldn't help severe damage from steroid creams.

I'm on 1,000 IU and plan to go up reeaally slowly. 2,000 was too much. It's weird, the stuff makes the "warm room flush" (something I normally tolerate pretty well) a lot worse, so I have to be extremely careful about what time I take it.

1,000mg Solgar MSM
    25mg diphenhydramine
    Rosacea Care moisturizer, tinted ZincO
    I avoid multi-vitamins and most other high-dose vitamins and supplements, oil-based supplements (like omega 3/6, A, and E), nitrite preservatives, sugar, fruit, milk, exercising in a warm room

Less is more!

Default updates?

any updates from Dan or Mystica?

I've been taking 10,000iu/day for a about 5-6 weeks now (before that 5000-6000iu/day on average plus sun exposure) -- tested a couple weeks ago at around 58ng/ml -- trying to get above 100ng/ml.

Also taking 30mg zinc, 250mg magnesium, vitamin k2, probiotics (reuteri pearls and culturelle), lactoferrin, nattokinase, occasional bromelain, and some herbal antimicrobials (candida-clear) -- aim is to improve immune system and eliminate chronic inflammatory conditions like rosacea/CFS through healthy gut flora, anti-inflammatory diet, and high Vitamin D blood serum levels.

huge fan of coolinginflammation blog, along with primal living blueprint (low-carb, no grains, good fats, moderate exercise)

so far not many side effects from vitamin D, aside from some muscle aches, grogginess from time to time, seems like low-carb helps keep inflammation/die off side effects to a minimum.

eric

How much would be the normal dose for someone with problem skin to take?
    31 year old male from Puerto Rico
    Skin type: oily

Clinique Mild Liquid Soap
    Clinique Instant Mineral Relief Powder
    Clinique Almost Powder Makeup SPF 15
    Metrogel 1%
    DERMAdoctor Acne Control Serum
    DERMAdoctor Born to be Mild for seb derm
    SOLODYN 65mg:
    Supplements
    Digestive Enzymes Veggie caps
    Probiotic 60 Billion
    Zinc
    Selenium
    Dry Vitamin E
    Vitamin D

Quote Originally Posted by Erikson View Post
    How much would be the normal dose for someone with problem skin to take?
    Keepin it brief - Work your way up to 8,000-10,000iu per day

Quote Originally Posted by tp912 View Post
    Keepin it brief - Work your way up to 8,000-10,000iu per day
    Thank 4 the info!!
    31 year old male from Puerto Rico
    Skin type: oily

Clinique Mild Liquid Soap
    Clinique Instant Mineral Relief Powder
    Clinique Almost Powder Makeup SPF 15
    Metrogel 1%
    DERMAdoctor Acne Control Serum
    DERMAdoctor Born to be Mild for seb derm
    SOLODYN 65mg:
    Supplements
    Digestive Enzymes Veggie caps
    Probiotic 60 Billion
    Zinc
    Selenium
    Dry Vitamin E
    Vitamin D

Quote Originally Posted by eric_in_va View Post
    any updates from Dan or Mystica?

I've been taking 10,000iu/day for a about 5-6 weeks now (before that 5000-6000iu/day on average plus sun exposure) -- tested a couple weeks ago at around 58ng/ml -- trying to get above 100ng/ml.

Also taking 30mg zinc, 250mg magnesium, vitamin k2, probiotics (reuteri pearls and culturelle), lactoferrin, nattokinase, occasional bromelain, and some herbal antimicrobials (candida-clear) -- aim is to improve immune system and eliminate chronic inflammatory conditions like rosacea/CFS through healthy gut flora, anti-inflammatory diet, and high Vitamin D blood serum levels.

huge fan of coolinginflammation blog, along with primal living blueprint (low-carb, no grains, good fats, moderate exercise)

so far not many side effects from vitamin D, aside from some muscle aches, grogginess from time to time, seems like low-carb helps keep inflammation/die off side effects to a minimum.

eric
    I remember Dan saying that you need high carbs to stop the side effects from D3.....secondary porphyia (sp?).....he even said taking glucose would help....but your experience is the opposite....your eating low carb w/o much side effects at a high level of d3....seems like there is no understanding this LOL!
    Dx 1998

Default Update

I will try and make a very long story as succinct as possible:

About a month ago I went to my mom's rheumatologist because my derm had diagnosed me 6 months ago with what he thought were rheumatoid nodules under the knuckles of a few of my fingers. Mind you they weren't hurting or anything which is why I put off going to the rheumatologist. My derm wanted me to get them biopsied but I declined. Anyway the rheumatologist didn't think they were rheumatoid nodules and didn't think I had RA (very happy about that) but ran a blood test to make sure. The results showed all was normal except my vit D levels which he didn't even mention to me as it was not on his radar obviously since he was looking for RA. He mailed me my results and when I finally looked them over I was surprised to find the 25 hydroxy vit D was 20mg!! Remember back in July it was 64.4 and I was taking 5000 IU's of D3 a day since last spring. So I was very surprised at that and thought the result must be wrong.

I called my derm and asked him to fax me a prescription for another blood test so I could repeat the vit D and also wanted to check my kidneys, liver etc just in case since I couldn't figure out why I wasn't absorbing all the D3 I was currently taking. The second blood test showed all my values were awful. Not at all similar to any blood test I had ever taken. I called my internist who thought that they mixed up my results or something (LOL because my internist is always so serious and proper and here he was telling me in his serious and stern voice that these couldn't be my results). The vit D was now 22 mg.

So I asked my derm for another Rx to repeat the blood test again and in the meantime I asked for RX vit D. He gave me 50,000 IU's of D to take every other day for a while. In the meantime I spoke with Dan (thanks Dan!!) and as usual he was a huge help. He told me not to take the Rx vit D as in the USA all Rx D is D2 not D3. So he told me to take about 22,000 IU's of D3 a day which I started doing. (My internist was not on board with this but I agreed with Dan so that's what I did).
    This all happened last Thursday - when I got the bad blood test results and also started taking megadoses of vit D.

I was nervous about my second blood test results so I couldn't wait the 2 weeks I was supposed to and repeated the blood test on Monday. I was way more anxious about the other results and not so much the D anymore and certainly didn't expect the D level to rise much in 4 days. Anyway, my results came in the next day and not only were all my values good again (something was really wrong with that 2nd test) but now, my 25 hydroxy vit D was 88.1!! What the heck was going on as I only started the megadosing on Thursday and took the repeat blood test on Monday So, on the advice of my derm I cut my vit D supplementation down. His advice was to go to 3,000 IU's D3 (LOL these doctors are so conservative) but after consulting with Dan I decided to take 9,000 IU's for a while and repeat my blood in another 2 months or so.

So, not sure what is going on and how is it possible for the D blood levels to change so fast but thought it was important enough to mention here as an fyi if it could help anyone else. I would suggest that anyone supplementing or concerned with their vit D blood levels to make sure to get it tested in the winter because in the summer even with sunblock the sun gets through a bit and your levels could read higher in the summer and lower in the winter. I have no doubt that my Vit D was 20 mg when I got the results of my first blood test a month ago though it had been in the mid 60's in July and all my vit D supplementation during that time period had remained constant at 5000 IU's D3.
    So, your D levels might be lower if it's winter by you and it is important to get a value during this time of year so you can see where you are when you aren't outside as much.

Sorry for the long winded post but hope it is helpful.

Melissa

That is really scary Melissa! Also so interesting and frankly terrifying that even despite supplementation you had dropped so drastically in the winter! I'm glad things have improved now but thanks for this post as I didn't even realize that levels could change so drastically- especially with supplementation, I always thought they would just remain steady or rise ever so slowly!!

Additionally I see you mention the nodules that you had under your fingers?? Did they ever figure out what those were?? One day my feet swelled up dark red, it was scary and they were throbbing extremely painfully (I've just been diagnosed w/ likely raynaud's as I know alot of other people have here too, I've had it I believe sense childhood but it has worsened over time) and blister/nodules were left in my toes afterwards, but they were very painful. They went away in time thankfully, but I still have a sore from one of them, also my raynauds (if that's whats causing it) is still full force with my toes that go numb and my dark red, to very purple almost at times black feet, and then also my hands when placed under warm water go extremely red and my finger tips tingle.

SO I'm going to get a ton of testing done in a few days (Vitamin D level included), and also for my flushing, (I have finally at last found a Dr. who is interested and realizes there is something very wrong with how bad my flushing is and wants to help, I'm sure the fact that I was in a very deep red painful flush in his office helped matters ) and then afterwards when I go see my Doctor again he said he will likely send me to a rheumatologist but for now he's running a ton of testing so we can get to the bottom of this.

I purposely have not supplemented w/ Vitamin D yet despite following this thread as I wanted to find out what my true baseline levels were. So I will post those when I find out, if yours were 20 and you were supplementing w/ 5000 IUS I'm wondering what mine will be?? Is it possible to have negative numbers??

Well, thanks for this post again. I will keep this thread updated when I find out my D levels!
    Last edited by bluesky; 5th March 2010 at 06:58 AM.