Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lyra yag 1064

Default night flushing

Yes Dr. Johnson thinks that the night flushing is probably the reason I'm not getting remission. In my case I've just come back from an appointment with an internist who has a speciality in hormones. I went to her looking for bio- identicals, which I've heard about for years and still kind of think of as maybe snake oil, but figured its been a long time since I had a check up so what the hell. Was pretty impressed by her. She also treats men. She took a lot of blood and is going to check for all kinds of things- pitutiary (know thats spelled wrong) pancreas, adrenals besides my estrogen etc. You might want to look into this. Its become the newest rage on Oprah (who I never watch by the way) but I did watch this particular episode and some of what they said does make sense. But, you know with women doctors always tend to blame everything on our hormones.
    I find that coating my face with balmex ( very attractive) at night helps a bit. I also keep a fan going on my face. Sorry I can't be more helpful- My room is like a meat locker , and I have a fan on my face and still flush at night. During the day only flush in hot rooms. Those night flushes really suck.
    Arlene

Arlene

Sorry a little off topic but have you looked at the sticky on hormones. It is an interesting thread:
    http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ead.php?t=9327

Arlene,
    If you could break those night flushes then you would be further along is that it?
    My doctor prescribed alphagan P for me to use as a topical (supposed to be similar to sansrosa I think) and it is supposed to work for 8 hours or so in preventing a flush. And supposed to be without rebound effect.

I have not really given this a proper try because you are supposed to apply it an hour before you think you will flush and I always wait too long till I am flushing since I cannot predict when I will be flushing. Anyway, not important but just wanted to give you another possibility. If you ask your doctor to prescribe alphagan (it is an ocular glaucoma med) and apply it topically an hour before bedtime it might help prevent the nighttime flushes you get and break the cycle. Just a thought.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Melissa,

Are there are side effects from this topical alphagen that you know about - any down side? I've never heard of this and have severe night flushing. Is it typically prescribed for rosacea - or is your DR. a bit more cutting edge?

This sounds interesting.

Thanks...

Jen

Hi Jen,
    That is the million dollar question IMO. Are there any negative effects to taking this. My derm thinks no and says in the studies (so far) there have been none. Keep in mind however this is fairly new and the studies are still in progress.

To answer your question about getting a prescription it is off label use but my derm is the one who suggested it not me even though I knew about it. He was very optimistic about this treatment. I guess I am hesitant to give it a real try mainly because I just cannot predict when I will flush and it is optimum to apply an hour or two before you flush. I am going to apply tomorrow before a birthday party I am attending because I know it will be warmer than I like. I will report back on how it goes. Fingers crossed

Best wishes,
    Melissa

PS If you print out the sansrosa studies and bring to your doctor you will have a better chance at getting him/her to prescribe it.

I have had the ND:Yag (gemini) with Dr Crouch and I found it to be most useful at treating the intensity and duration of the flush and any pain associated with it.

You should find this thread useful as a few of us listed out our settings (bearing in mind we were using different machines):

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ight=coolglide

Melissa- thanks for the information- but like you I can never tell when I'm going to flush- know for sure it will be at night let me know how you do please
    Arlene

Default Nd yag

Philka
    Would ,ove to give this another try , especially with a ktp (know Melissa is there with me) Unfortunately not able to find anybody around here who does it.
    Arlene

I will let you know how it goes Arlene. I am going to apply the alphagan today and see what happens.

And ditto on the Nd Yag 1064 practicioner. There are none in our area that will do this for rosacea Very frustrating indeed. I think VBeam only works so much for flushing and burning and Nd yag 1064 is the way to go for flushing and burning -especially burning which is the most troubling symptom for me.

arb,

I hope you can break the flush cycle and get remission. You deserve it..
    I know how hard it is to travel for laser treatments. I also traveled for the Lumenis One and incurred a huge credit card debt with all the expenses for travel, hotel and tx. I told myself that if I saw or felt ANY improvement I would max out my credit card at $20,000 and keep going. But after 10 treatments and no improvement I had to quit, cut my losses and try to payoff the debt.

I haven't had any IPL or laser for about 8 months and I'm gonna give the Lyra YAG a try in 2 weeks. I'm gonna ask for mild settings (paint mode)? and hope for the best.

Arlene and Melissa, since this doctor is on the east coast I will keep you two posted on any successes..
    Feel free to email me privately for more info.
    take care,

John