Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remeron as an anti-histamine (helped with redness from touch)

Default Remeron as an anti-histamine (helped with redness from touch)

Remeron is the only thing I have tried that helped with the red blotches and redness in response to touch.... I do not know why? None of the antihystamens (Zyrtec, Singulair) have helped with this for me? What is special about Remeron?

I have heard that it acts as an antagonist to the H1 receptors? but don't the typical antihistamines do this as well?

Mirtazapine is a strange drug. There are effects on rosacea which can't be explained simply by modification of the autonomic nervous system of blocking of histamine.

I had the same experience as the original poster. There is a drug called ondansetron used to prevent severe stomach cmplaints after cancer therapy, which acts on the same 5-HT3 receptors as remeron, this has also been used for rosacea. So there must be something there which helps some people aswell...

dont the "normal anti-histamines" act on these receptors as well?

Remeron is not only a H1 receptor antagonist, but, lik Lamarr says, works on different levels with rosacea. It also has anti-inflammatory actions in some way (don't know how this works exactely) and indeed mild antihistamine actions, but not as strong as some of the stronger conventional antihistamines.

I take Xyzal as an antihistamine (and also remeron) and Xyzal works better and stronger for my allergy related symptoms. But remeron is something special, for those who respond well to it.

Remeron has been a godsend for me, thank you Nat for posting about it, I never would have known to try it if you hadn't posted about it.

For me, it does an astonishing job of shutting down almost all my flushing. Now, instead of having horrific flushes daily that last for 8 to 12 to 24 hours, I've been getting about one flush every two weeks instead.

I'm hoping those will decrease too over time.

I would definitely be in deep doo-doo without Remeron. I wonder, does anybody know if it works better for women than for men? My hot flushes were in large part due to estrogen withdrawal of menopause, and it shuts those down, but I wonder what effect it has on men.

To people considering trying it, I recommend you allow two weeks for the initial drowsiness to pass, for me it went away almost completely and now just gives me a good night's sleep without the horrible nightime flushing that used to plague me.

Hope this helps,

-WC

HI wrickled clue,

I am sooooo glad for you the remeron is helping you. For me is has also been a godsend. I don't even consider stopping ever again with it, unless completely necessary. Remeron (mirtazapine) is indeed registered as a helpful drug for menopausal flushings. But I am only 29 and nowhere near menopause and for me it is still very helpful. It's actions have not so much to do with menopause itself it seems, but more with the chemical reaction int he brain that starts the flushing. My doc Dr. Tony Chu says it is a remarkeable drug for severe flushings, and it's working actions are not yet fully understood. It is a mild antihistamine, anti-inflammatory but it also changes something int he way the central nervous system normally sets of flushing responses.

Like Wrinkledclue says, be aware of initial drowsiness. The body needs to adjust to the drug, so give it some time for this. In a month time things will usually be much better. Take it before bedtime (it helps to sleep which is not useful during the day). One side-effect that you need to be ware of is weight gain. Not too much or drastic, but still; it is likely to add some pounds on it. So watch your food intake and excersize. The drug has antihistaminic actions, which make you more hungry. The lower the dose, the worse these side effects are (since the antighistamine actions are stronger in low doses and above 30 mg the noradrenaline actions start getting bigger, minimalizing the drowsiness and hungre). I take 30 mg at night. But Dr. Chu also prescribes 15 mg a night, mostly I belief. For me the 30 mg is better; still helps with the flushing, but less side-effects.

Best wishes Natalja

Wow I am definitely asking my Dr about this at my next appointment.

so I'm guessing it is a drug that builds up in the system, other wise taking it at night time wouldnt help throughout the day time....

it didnt seem to help to much with the flushing at 15mg, but it helped with redness from touch. You think 30mg would be better for flushing maybe?

ps.- natalja, what helped ur stinging the most (if you had any)?
    Last edited by nbapoker; 25th December 2008 at 12:50 AM.

I have had some slight weight gain with the mirtazapine (remeron). But nothing that can't be atributed to increased appetite. If you are good at controlling this and can get some exercise in there aswell you should be ok with the weight gain.

I have no other side effects from it, it doesn't even make me drowsey anymore i can take it at anytime of the day.