Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-flushing meds

Default Anti-flushing meds

Does anyone know of any good medications that help with facial flushing?

Also, ive heard that beta blockers help with flushing, what type of flushing does this help with and does it create a rebound flush and if it does how can this be prevented?

Thanks heaps

Lots of members report good results from Clonidine and some are helped by Remeron; I recommend you do a search of the Forum for these meds and read what people have said about them. Hope this helps!

Good anti flushing meds for most:

-clonidine (gives rebound flush, so you need to take this drug long term and every 8 hours).
    -propranolol
    -mirtazapine

-antihistamines (Xyzal for instance).

You can take them individual or all together. They all work on different receptors and have different mechanisms, so they usually make the attack on the flushing more effective when you take them all. Best to start with one and then add another in that case, so you can monitor well how your body responds to every single one of them.
    They all help me.

Side-effects you should be aware of are generally light headedness and dizzyness in the beginning. Will wear off after a while, when your body adjusts.

Best wishes,
    Natalja

Natalja,

Thank you very much for the reply,

I am currently taking about120-160mg of propranolol a day.
    You mention that you take both propranolol and clonidine together at the same time, do you notice this to be much more effective than when just taking one of these drugs?
    Like how much more does taking them both help flushing?

Thanks heaps

Will these anti-flushing meds help with the kind of flushing that just happens every day, due to your bodily rhythms (if you know what I mean. Just, that time of day when you seem naturally more flushy)? Or do they just help with social flushing?

Hi,

I am no doctor, but if I understand it correctly the named drugs work all on different receptors to attack the flushing response. Clonidine helps (for most) not only because it lowers the blood pressure, which in its turn helps to keep your blood stream more 'centralized' in your body, and less in the extremeties (fingers, toes, face), but it also does something with the central nervous system. That's why clonidine is registered as a helpful drug for menaupasal flushings.
    Propranolol works differently: it is very helpful for the 'fight and flight' reactions and flushings: it helps to limit the amount of adrenaline that the body produces: a hormone that can be the set of for flushing. It is also a blood pressure lowering drug.
    Mirtazapine is an antidepressant and works in a very different way (not completely understood yet). It is also registered as a drug to prevent or aleviate menopausal flushings. But it works differently from clonidine.

I find that clonidine and propranolol together work better then one of them. Dr. Tony Chu often prescribes them together for that reason to patients who have a severe flushing response. They help me with the general flushings and more specific flushings, although a big amount of stress still makes me flush, but not as quickly as it used to and it is also gone again sooner.

Hope this helps,
    best wishes Natalja

Natalja,

Thank you very much for the replies, what type of flushing would you say that clonidine helps with? like does it help with flushing from foods, heat, stress,sunlight or what?

Also, how did you get your Dr. to prescribe the two of them together? some dr.s are very reluctant to prescribe one of them, let alone them both?

Also, what type of flushing does Mirtazapine help with?

Thanks heaps,
    your help is much appreciated

Jason

Talking

Hi Jason,

as far as I can tell clonidine seems to help with the general flushing respons. It might also be extra usefull for women in menopause, but that is not the case with you I expect ; )

Propranolol works on different receptors and helps with general flushing but also specifically with the adrenaline-related flushings (when you are nervous or stressed etc).

For food related flushing I take an antihistamine (Xyzal).

I got all my medication prescribed by a good London dermatologist: Dr. Tony Chu. My Dutch GP knows about me visiting him and supports his sugestions, so it has not been difficult for me to take this much medication at the same time.
    I know for many on the forum it might be a bit controversial perhaps to take this much, but for me it helps me a lot and I have taken the IPL and laser route earlier, without relief. So for now this gets me thorugh the years while we wait for a cure.

(I take clonidine, propranolol, mirtazapine, Xyzal and diclofenac). I also get blood tests every now and then to check my blood levels, lover function etc.

Best wishes Natalja

Natalja...

When you say you take 0,75 mg 3/4 times a day , do you mean 75 mcg x 3/4 times a day or do you split the 75mcg dose into 3 or 4 throughout the day.

75mcg taken 3 or 4 times a day seems a lot more what other people who have posted here take.

Just curious,

Penny

Another question:

Does Dr. Chu really prescribe clonidine and remeron together?

I've been reading that the two should not be taken together. Or is it that the interaction between the two is not relevant to its effect on flushing, and thus can be taken safely by a rosacean?

As if this wasn't confusing enough....I also read on another forum that the two together are actually BETTER in terms of reducing flushing.

Confused here....if anyone has some information on this, I would appreciate it.

Thank you!