Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Only In Winter....

Hey thanks for your help guys.

Ive also been recommended a antihistamine cream, because some girl told me she used it on her nose for winters redness... worth a try only 3 pounds.

I earlier tried some oral antihistamine my brother had, an hour later and most my redness is gone strange...i'm ecstatic . Still a little redness on the nose. Panda eyes as they say, are now gone.

Ill keep you guys updated.

Also... i found this
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/allergy/AN00693

seems you can have a allergy to cold winds. Mabye this explains my increase of nose size in winter too.

what is an oral antihistamine? do you apply it to your skin? or is it like benadryl?

Quote Originally Posted by GracieTiger View Post
    what is an oral antihistamine? do you apply it to your skin? or is it like benadryl?
    Oral antihistamine is one which you drink, or take in pill form. Face was red again this morning, took some and it was reduced alot again an hour later. The brand is Zirtek. Thou im sure the oral benadryl will help in the same way.

Got the benadryl Skin Allergy Relief cream this morning so shall keep you updated on the combo.

Update: The Benadryl cream increased the redness on my nose a lot and didn't benefit the rest of my face, so i discontinued use.

The Zirtek continues to keep the redness decreased, about 75% when indoors, and about 40% when outdoors including blotchy patches (due to winter winds). Also faster recovery from temperature change induced flushing.

I'm doing my best to find another product that i can use in a combo with Zirtek allergy relief, any idea would be welcomed.

Red face Only in Winter

A large part of the reason I ended up with permanent pink patches on my cheeks, nose, and chin was because I didn't protect my face with a scarf or cover consistently while I was skiing. It's what we called the "freeze-thaw" effect: Your face freezes as the lift goes higher; your face freezes more as you fly down the slope; then at the base, where it is warmer, your skin thaws a bit only to freeze again as you go up.
    So this is mostly about blood vessel expansion and contraction in response to temperature changes.
    I have the same ski mask Melissa got from REI ( where I also got mine ), but I look a bit like Darth Vader when I wear it. It works, but I was hoping to find one this year that is not so scary looking. Wool is def out!
    A company named Turtle Fur also makes nice, soft neck gators.
    bunny

Hey Bunny,

LOL I was wearing that REI mask the other day and said hi to my neighbor and she looked at me and didn't recognize me and my husband said Cynthia it's Missy and LOL LOL she said:
    I didn't know if I should hand over my wallet there for a minute

I find that the lands end gaitor is OK if it is not too cold as it is very soft and I just pull it up over my face. Only problem is that it is a bit loose so I sort of have to hold it in place if it is windy. But it is much less scary than the REI mask!

Best wishes,
    Melissa

PS Sorry about the pink patches on your face. Have you had any laser for them?
    I cannot even consider skiing anymore due in part to rosacea but mainly the chilblains.

Default Only in Winter

OMG and LOL back, Melissa!
    I so get that someone could use that mask to scare another person into tossing out a wallet and then making a run for it! LOL! Your story made me laugh because I so get how scary you look when you wear it!! My 6 year old niece wouldn't even look at me while I was wearing mine when we were skiing.
    I've had several treatments of VBeam, but there are two areas on the apples of my cheeks that just keep turning into.....ha, ha....apples! They are even sensitive to touch. Once I am through the next season of skiing I'll get laser again.
    Sorry you've given up skiing! I have found that wearing layers of fleece under my ski jacket and pants has been the best invention ever! I love fleece because it is so light and so warm. Wonder if that would help you?
    When you get to REI again, check out the Turtle Fur gators and hats. They are very soft and stay in place beautifully. I wish they made a face protector! I may try one of their scarves this year to see if I can use it for my face.
    bunny