Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: rhinophyma questions?

Default Still No Change...

I had surgery on my nose due to advanced symptoms of rhinophyma in late November 2011. It is now nearly a year later and there is no sign of the rhinophyma returning. From my personal perspective, the surgery was quick and easy and in looking back, it was exactly as the surgeon described - it looked like I had a sunburn on my nose following surgery. And I was also lucky that I never took any pain medication following the surgery. I admit that this was my personal experience and can't say this would be the case for anyone else, but I'm also comfortable thinking that IF I see any return of the rhinophyma, I can have some simple surgery to take it away. I just wish that I had known about the possibility of surgery long before I had the surgery.

Good luck on your quest!!

Default What was the degree of your physical symptoms?

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnix View Post
    I had surgery on my nose due to advanced symptoms of rhinophyma in late November 2011. It is now nearly a year later and there is no sign of the rhinophyma returning. From my personal perspective, the surgery was quick and easy and in looking back, it was exactly as the surgeon described - it looked like I had a sunburn on my nose following surgery. And I was also lucky that I never took any pain medication following the surgery. I admit that this was my personal experience and can't say this would be the case for anyone else, but I'm also comfortable thinking that IF I see any return of the rhinophyma, I can have some simple surgery to take it away. I just wish that I had known about the possibility of surgery long before I had the surgery.

Good luck on your quest!!
    Can you tell me how acute your symptoms were before you got surgery? One of the things that I have been trying to figure out since I started to show the affects of Rhinophyma, was how soon after the physical symptoms show up can you start to get surgical/laser or other treatments besides medication. Right now I am on Tetracycline and it is having no affect. The physical change in my nose is almost a daily event.

Default Symptions

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
    Can you tell me how acute your symptoms were before you got surgery? One of the things that I have been trying to figure out since I started to show the affects of Rhinophyma, was how soon after the physical symptoms show up can you start to get surgical/laser or other treatments besides medication. Right now I am on Tetracycline and it is having no affect. The physical change in my nose is almost a daily event.
    If you'll look back at my post in January (same thread), you'll see that I mention making all kinds of adjustments to avoid being around/seen by young children (not a parent). One of the things that I didn't describe about how bad it had gotten was when I shaved: I had to lift one side of my nose to be able to shave underneath that spot. The odd thing is that I don't recall when all began growing, but at the worst point before I had the surgery, it seemed to have basically stabilized. I can't imagine the change being daily because mine was gradual over a number of years. But in looking back at some old pictures, it probably took about 5 years or so to grow and then pretty much stopped growing. I also had really bad acne - just making it worse. Although I don't know whether it was just the surgery or the doxycycline that I've been taking for a couple of years, but that hasn't returned. It was finding the right surgeon who saw it as a medical issue - not a "cosmetic" issue - to recommend rhynoplastic surgery.

Default No doubt, geography makes a differance in diagnosis and treatment

If you'll look back at my post in January (same thread), you'll see that I mention making all kinds of adjustments to avoid being around/seen by young children (not a parent). One of the things that I didn't describe about how bad it had gotten was when I shaved: I had to lift one side of my nose to be able to shave underneath that spot. The odd thing is that I don't recall when all began growing, but at the worst point before I had the surgery, it seemed to have basically stabilized. I can't imagine the change being daily because mine was gradual over a number of years. But in looking back at some old pictures, it probably took about 5 years or so to grow and then pretty much stopped growing. I also had really bad acne - just making it worse. Although I don't know whether it was just the surgery or the doxycycline that I've been taking for a couple of years, but that hasn't returned. It was finding the right surgeon who saw it as a medical issue - not a "cosmetic" issue - to recommend rhynoplastic surgery.
    Thanks Sputnix. I really appreciate that you have taken the time to respond to my questions. I have seen my GP again today and she agrees that I probably have Rhinophyma. She is referring me to a dermatologist but sadly, where I live in Canada that appointment won't be for another six months or so. Who knows where I'll be with my symptoms by then. She did, however, after much agitating by me, agree to prescribe Accutane (20 MG) as it seems to be the medication of choice for treating Rhinophyma. I suppose that when I finally see the Derm, they will tell me if that was the right med or not. If surgery or other treatments are required or desired, it will likely be a slow road as public healthcare, although a benefit to many, is slow to act.

Sputnix, can you tell me whether you had the choice to have surgery or other corrective treatments sooner, or whether that was a personal choice? do you know whether surgery and/or laser therapy is possible in the earliest stages or only when they are more serious. Thanks again
    Last edited by Dan B; 10th October 2012 at 01:37 AM.

Vbeam laser has been the rhyno choice for last 5years. There is a prefered pulse rate for rhyno over blemish/cosmetic surgery. However the downtime will be extensive. Course your insurance co. will say all laser is cosmetic and thus not covered. My two cents is you're better off walking into a derm office and just wait till he/she looks at you. Gonna cost but I'd expect they prescribe cream/ointment which will help with early rhyno. Oral antibiotics didn't help me.

PicMonkey Collage.jpg

I have always wondered why my nose tip is so round and why my nose looks so... odd. It has no shape!
    Non of my family memembers have this kind of round nose. Not sure if you can see it well but my nose tip is very round.
    I read about Rhinophyma and everything made sense! My skin is so sensitive I have to use baby shampoo - embarassing, I know.
    My mom tried absolutely everything on me, but my skin is allergic to even the products that clean dirty skin.

So my question is, do I look like I have Rhinophyma ?

Quote Originally Posted by xXGuddyXx View Post
    PicMonkey Collage.jpg

I have always wondered why my nose tip is so round and why my nose looks so... odd. It has no shape!
    Non of my family memembers have this kind of round nose. Not sure if you can see it well but my nose tip is very round.
    I read about Rhinophyma and everything made sense! My skin is so sensitive I have to use baby shampoo - embarassing, I know.
    My mom tried absolutely everything on me, but my skin is allergic to even the products that clean dirty skin.

So my question is, do I look like I have Rhinophyma ?
    I'd like to know how you made those pics. Looks really stylish, especially the right one with the background text. :P

But no, doesn't look like rhino. People can have big noses without any freaky condition being responsible for it. Unless it keeps growing / more and more bumps appear on it there's no reason to worry imo.

Hi Sputnix,

it is great to have someone having gone through the rhino thing with success at the end to come back and share his stories.

If you are still browsing around this website, I hope you can answer some of my few concerns as well.

Did the surgeries you had take care of the "even thickening" of the skin as well? I know the surgeries are able to remove bumps(thicken skin on top of normal skin) but if the thickening of skin is even and all over the nose, can it be treated as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefieny View Post
    Hi,

I am new to the group. I came across Redfaced's posting when I searched for Rhinophyma on the web. I was recently diagnosed with a mild case of Rosacea, but my nose is already in the early stages of rhinophyma. It was hard to believe in the beginning because there are very few female Rosaceans that experience this subtype of Rosacea, especially when I only in my early 30's and have a mild case. Unfortunately, my nose seems to be getting a little bigger each month and I am afraid that the condition will get worse if I don't start treatment. I am curious if anyone here with early stages of Rhinophyma found a good treatment for it. Also, if anyone knows of a good dermatologist in NYC who has an in-depth knowledge of Rosacea, please let me know.
    I also just found out yesterday that I may have rhinophyma, and Very mild rosa era, I am a 55 yr old women, I am in shock, they measured my nose and I go back in 8 wks to see any change, I will get a biopsy to confirm

Default Can you get it without having redness?

HI Rider,
    I'm sorry you are going through this. Did you get a result back? Also did you get another opinion? I've been to 2 derms and 1 plastic surgeon who say I do not have it..although I'm still unsure. I'm 48 and 6 months ago developed sebaceous hyperplasia out of the blue all over. Ithe was after I was on accUtan for 2 1/2 weeks. I got off of it. Anyway..I have seen my nose get bigger and rounder in the tip over the last few years. I started really seeing it in selfies. I was like..what's the deal with my nose?! Doctors say..it's aging..your nose drops, your face thins out. No one believes me. I know my own nose. Anyway..I feel it's swollen in the morning but not for long. It's not red. I do have mild acne..always have. Everyother day popping pustules on sides of nose, I get blackheads on nose etc. I can squeeze something out of every pore. Very oily. But..I always have been like tbis. I'm a fair redhead with sensitive skin. I just don't know if I have it..but I know my nose is larger and got more bulbouse. So frustrated.