Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: rhinophyma questions?

You should call them and then probably stop taking it just in case or until the doctor says it is OK. Hopefully it is nothing. My fingers are crossed for you.

Default Oracea

Hi Melissa,

Do you know how long it usually takes Dr. Cohen to get back to his patients? I left two messages to the receptionist last week and still haven't heard back from him. At the mean time, I agreed with your suggestion and stopped taking Oracea. It's been about 4 days now and the pressure had slowly disappeared. The sad part is that my nose is swollen again in the morning, so eventhough Oracea didn't reverse my nose to its original size and shape in 3 weeks, it somehow controlled the inflammation while I was taking the drug...

Hi Stefieny,

He's not always good at returning messages unfortunately. It is very frustrating. I suggest you speak to whichever nurse is on duty when you call again. When you call ask for Dr Cohen's nurse and tell her you are experiencing an adverse effect that you think is from the med he prescribed and you really need to speak with him. He returns phone calls after 7pm (usually after 8 pm)- when he is done with patients for the day.

That should work. Let me know if you still have trouble getting through to him.

Melissa

Default New to Rosacea Group

Hello to everyone. Although I have had problems with my nose for a number of years -- and not thinking much about it since my father looks like W.C. Fields -- a trip to France made me realize how pronounced my nose growth is. The France reference is because everywhere we went, I was stared at all the time and felt very self-conscious for the first time. Of course, now, I am very aware of it and have come to realize that people stare quite frequently and it has begun to challenge my confidence. In mid-December I started a regimen of doxycyline and metrogel. I'm not sure I see any definitive results, but one thing I need to do is take some photographs to keep track of the changes -- good or bad. Thanks for having another forum for me to hook into for (at least moral) support.

Hi Sputnix and welcome to the RF
    If you feel like it why don't you start your own thread in the newbie section?

There are lots of threads on rhinophyma. If you do a search using the search engine above you will find lots of info. Here are some to get you started:

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ght=rhinophyma

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...etin+bromelain

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ght=rhinophyma

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Default nose swelling

My nose has become red and progressively swollen
    I otherwise have moderate symptoms of rosacea. I'm having difficulty finding a doctor whowill take my condition seriously. So far one dermatologist recommended head & shoulders shampoo applied to the effected skin. Depression and anxiety have been a problem too.
    I'm new to the group. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Default Nose swelling

Hello:
    Antihistamines help my nose swelling. Might want to try that. Sorry to hear about your nose. I have nose swelling, too, and it's very frustrating!
    Regards
    Queta
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Surgery Has Helped Me!

It has been a long while since I've logged on here. But a recent post led me back here and I would like to share my experience with the surgery I had on my nose (November 2011).

When I last posted (January 2010), things were pretty bad. After that posting, I had seen pictures of very serious cases of rhinophyma online and I have to admit mine was not as bad as some of those cases. But one of the things that pushed me to have surgery came when I was in line at the grocery store and a little girl ahead of me in line with her mother did the -- what I had become used to -- big eyed sudden stare and turned around to her mother and in a not-so-subtle voice said, "Mom, that man has a funny nose!!" I'm not sure if that was the absolute moment but it was thereabouts that I realized something serious needed to be done. I was finding myself switching places with people in restaurants if there were children present (so I wouldn't be facing their direction) and avoiding places where my nose would be apparent. I finally got a referral to a different surgeon than I had in 2008, and when we met his first words to me were, "We can take care of that." My surgery was scheduled for the Friday before Thanksgiving and was done outpatient. It used a procedure he referred to as a "hot wire" to remove the layers of skin. He told me that I should expect to look like I had a serious sunburn. Since I had it done on the Friday before Thanksgiving, I figured that would give me some time to be out of the office and not necessarily have to go out anywhere for a bit. My spouse went with me and brought me home after the surgery (which was unbandaged). I didn't look at it until the next day and yes it looked like a very serious sunburn but in my case it didn't hurt. I was able to return to work a week later and without it ever being covered, continued to use bacitracin on it during the recovery period (about 6 weeks). By Christmas 2011, my nose was healed enough that I did not feel self-conscious with a roomful of people for dinner. But those were friends and they'd always been good about my nose.

The best part of this story for me was when I go to the grocery store and there are kids present. I no longer avoid aisles if they are there. As a matter of fact, they don't even see me anymore; I'm just another person walking down the aisle with a grocery cart. To put it mildly, the surgery has changed my life. I know that there is the possibility that the rhinophyma can return, but I am comfortable with the thought that I could have the surgery again. I hope that I don't have to but if necessary, I would go through the event again. I was lucky that I didn't experience any significant pain (as a matter of fact, I didn't take any of the pain medication prescribed after the surgery).

That's my long story. What I also realized through this is that with my rhinophyma, a dematologist was not going to be able to do anything for me - this was no longer just a case of serious rosacea. I needed a surgeon that could do the right thing (and the surgeon I saw in 2008 wanted to do skin grafts, which - for me - would have been the wrong thing). And finally, the ultimate message to convey here: get plenty of input and alternatives to what you can do for your individual case. If a doctor can show you photographs of the results of the surgery he/she has performed, even better.

I hope this helps anyone with this condition.

Thanks for sharing your good news!
    Regards
    Queta
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Certain that I have Rhinophyma and scared to death

I have just recently come across the Rosacea Forum while searching feverishly for information on Rosacea, specifically; Rhinophyma. I am looking for a little guidance (disguised as reassurance) on what I can expect in the future, treatment options, etc., as I have not found anything yet that seems to match what I consider to be my early onset symptoms of the condition. By that I mean that I seem to be beyond the stage of red and swollen and I have moved into the thickening of the tissue. I have developed a sizable "lump" on the right side of the nose with angry red veins shooting through the enlargement. There is noticeable thickening extending from that point back toward the corner of my eye. Additionally, the tip is enlarging and turning red. From what I have read, type three progresses slowly, however, the "visible" changes described here have occurred in less than 2 months. It is not yet noticeable at a distance but can be clearly seen up close.

For a bit of background, until I recently seen family doctor, I did not really know what Rosacea was, outside of the typical basics that I have come across talking to friends with mild forms of the condition. For myself, I did not think that I had an issue with it - little did I know. Although I always seemed to flush easily, particularly after a vigorous work out, hot showers or after being in windy or cold conditions, I never considered this to be a serious issue but rather a simple question of skin type. To the best of my knowledge, outside of what I considered to be run of the mill acne, I did not have the symptoms routinely considered type 1 or 2. It is worth noting that for some time now, perhaps a couple of years or slightly more, I have been having issues with my nose burning easily while in the sun (or what I thought was burning). It would sometimes blister, peel, etc. Having spent 35 years in the Army, I thought it was just a symptom of a face that has seen too much weather and was showing its age - clearly I was wrong.

I finally had what I believed to be a full Rosacea episode about 6 weeks ago and went to see my GP to have it checked out. She agreed that it was Rosacea and with little follow up on background, close visual check etc, prescribed Metro Gel. I used the gel for about 4 weeks or so and although the redness in my cheeks went away, my nose continued to burn like heck. I went back two weeks ago and informed her that I was still having trouble with my nose and that I thought that there was something more at play than basic Rosacea. She then prescribed Tetracycline (again without follow up questions on symptoms, changes in shape or texture that I may have noticed), which I have been taking ever since along with the Metro Gel. I have noticed little difference with the medication and my nose continues to burn and the shape and texture continue to change.

My apologies for the long post. After having looked at some of the examples on the internet of people with Rhinophyma, I guess that I am feeling a bit "out of it" by the prospect of my future and what ending this may have. I have seen many things in my 35 years in the military and I have been in a few uncomfortable positions, but none has made me feel so exposed, uncertain and, dare I say, frightened. Any advice on treatment options would be helpful.