Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anti flushing meds

Default anti flushing meds

I am curious, what kind of flushing does anti flushing meds work on? fight or flight flushing only or evening tired run down flushing, heat flushing, omg I think I'm gonna flush flushing, laying down flushing, food and drink flushing? As you can see I am a pretty flushy person. Clonidine and propanol are the drugs I am talking about, do they help with all the kinds of flushing? And if so wouldn't they be like a cure to all of our problems?

They help for stress/anxiety related flushing and they certainly help for the 'oh dear I am think I am going to flush/damn it I have' situations.

so not for the other kinds of flushing?

These drugs would reduce flushing only associated with the area of your nervous system that the drug is suppressing.

Some people, use beta blockers to avoid stage fright and tremor during public performance and auditions. The physiological symptoms of the fight/flight response associated with performance anxiety and panic (pounding heart, cold/clammy hands, increased respiration, sweating, etc.) are significantly reduced, thus enabling anxious individuals to concentrate on the task at hand.
    So for example propranolol which is a beta blocker might reduce any flushing you experience due to overactivity of the sympathetic nervous system. Beta blockers inhibit these normal epinephrine-mediated sympathetic actions.

I went to the doc yesterday and she said not to take them, that they would make me dizzy and tired because I am small, does this make sense?

Maybe but maybe not. The only way to know for sure is to give them ago. I get tired quicker during exercise but on a day to day notice the benefits outweight the negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by cbebe28 View Post
    I went to the doc yesterday and she said not to take them, that they would make me dizzy and tired because I am small, does this make sense?
    Everyone's different but why not try a very low dose to begin with? There's propranolol 10mg tabs. And you don't need to eat them everyday if you don't want to. You can take them only occasionally.

When I asked her she basically said no to prescribing them, also I asked her for solodyn and she prescribed me minocin twice a day, I didn't fill that prescription, because I wanted a lower dose, but she said she wouldn't give me something she didn't know about... doctors suck sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by cbebe28 View Post
    When I asked her she basically said no to prescribing them, also I asked her for solodyn and she prescribed me minocin twice a day, I didn't fill that prescription, because I wanted a lower dose, but she said she wouldn't give me something she didn't know about... doctors suck sometimes...
    Then she should do a little research on it before she says no. I don't want to sound glib but you need to find a new doctor. There is nothing wrong with not knowing everything but as a doctor (or any professional who wants to do their best) you should always be learning new things in order to help your patients to the best of your ability.

I am sorry you are dealing with a narrow minded and/or lazy doctor. Definitely do yourself a favor and find one who can and wants to help you.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

i agree, i would either offer your doctor some literature on beta blockers and their uses, or find another doctor who is more knowledgeable. there are a shocking number of doctors who still believe that beta blockers are only useful for lowering blood pressure!!
    my experience on beta blockers, which i have been taking for about eight months now for a heart arrythmia, was that i was quite tired for about a week. after i took them, i could sleep for hours. now, they have no side effects at all.
    also, i am not a doctor and don't have any biochemical understanding of beta blockers, but i believe that they are fairly unharmful. clonidine certainly comes with a lot more "risks." but there are millions and millions and millions of people on beta blockers. i have very low blood pressure, and the beta blocker did not really cause it to go any lower. you could always compile some information to take to you doctor that explains its usefulness for people suffering with overactive sympathetic nervous systems.