Thread: Supplements before and after IPL

Question Supplements before and after IPL

Hi all,

With the help of some of your comments and encouragement, I’m getting up the courage to try IPL. I have a patch test next Tue and then my first of three treatments is Nov 26, right before Thanksgiving.

I see a hol doc, and take many different supplements under her direction. I gave a list of all of these to the derm, and he didn’t really see problem with any of them. I did a search here to try to find what supplements to discontinue and resume and when, but can only find bits and pieces.

I see many comments about discontinuing blood thinning supplements and medications, such as Fish Oil and Ibuprofen 10 days prior to treatment. What is it about the blood thinning that is a worry—bruising? The only other thing I could find was that supplements that prevent angiogenesis are good for after the treatment.

I take Cortisol, which has really made an improvement for redness, inflammation, and burning for me. (See post “Cortisol Therapy” in Oral products.) My hol doc recommends discontinuing that for a about a week prior, since I want the redness and inflammation to be there for the treatment.

I would appreciate advice from those of you with IPL experience . . . Which supplements should I discontinue before treatment and when (and why)? When can I start the supplements again and when? What is good to prevent angiogenesis?

Also, should I discontinue them for the patch test?

Many thanks,
    Melissa
    LaRoche Posay Toleraine products
    Zinc, Selnenium, Omega 3&6, B complexes, Vit C, Cal/Mag, Probiotics, digestive enzymes
    Mirtazapine, Lyrica, Ibuprofen
    MetroGel .75% or Finacea occasionally
    Avoid sugar, alcohol, low gluten, low dairy

IPL destroys blood vessels by coagulating the blood inside - that's why blood thinners are counterproductive.

For the same reason, it's good to take vitamin K before IPL - vitamin K helps blood to clot.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

You also want to stop things that can strengthen blood vessels such as grape seed extract for the reason that Steve mentioned.

Hi Melissa,

I would suggest to d/c the supplements that might thin the blood or strengthen the blood vessels for about a week before and a week after IPL/laser treatment.

Good luck with your treatment!

Best wishes,
    Melissa