Thread: Exercise

Default Exercise

I am wondering if its good or bad to exercise when you have got rosacea? I love to run and go to the gym and as we all know exercising means a big flush, can the flushing get worse if you exercise?

The key is to try and control the conditions so as to optimize your workout and minimize your flush. That is keep the environment cool and drink cold beverages keeping yourself well hydrated as you work out. I find it helps my rosacea to work out but I always have cool air circulating as that helps me and I rarely flush when I workout this way.

When I cycle, run outside I have a tendency to flush a bit more but as long as there is air circulating it is never too bad but in the dead heat of summer I would not recommend working out outside. It is all about optimizing your conditions so you can get the cardiovascular benefits without worsening your rosacea. I actually find it helps my face because after a workout my skin looks better and if I had any p&p's before they always look a bit reduced after.

Good luck!
    Melissa

Allright! thanks!

My theory was something like that, i usaually work out when it is a little cooler outside becasue i find it more comfortable and pleasent. if itīs winter outside then itīs the same thing but the other way around?

In the cold weather you need to be careful of rebound flushing. That is, while you are outside the cold air may keep you from flushing but when you come inside the difference in temp can cause a flush. For me that is particularly brutal in winter. The indoor heating wreaks havok on my face and when coming inside from the cold it is even worse. Also, some of us have Raynaud's in addition which is exacerbated by the cold.

I would say be careful of all temperature extremes and see how you can tolerate it. In the winter I mainly workout inside where I can control my climate and again, for me, most critical is having air circulation and keeping myself cool.

Best wishes,
    Melissa