Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Finacea experiences

Contributing to the finacea experiences:

It's working wonderfully for me so far.

Type: I have some bumps (papules, I guess) but mostly redness and some swelling/burning during flares. My skin is normal to slightly oily. I am very pale--mostly Irish descent.

Finacea experience: yes it definitely burns when I first put it on. This is especially true during the first handful of applications (I use it only at night before bed). My routine has been: pat my face dry after washing, massage in finacea, do something distracting for 20 min while it burns, then put a moisturizer on afterwards. The burning/itching (I would describe it as more of an itching than burning) is reducing each time I use the finacea. The box says something to the effect of "it might burn or itch. keep using the product, you will get used to it and then it won't be a problem". This seems to be true for me so far.

The crazy thing is, I can actually see redness reduction--once I didn't rub it in equally all over and there was actually a fingerprint on my face (like a reverse sunburn, if you've ever missed some sunscreen). I also haven't had a flare since I started taking it.

I use Aquanil cleanser and a lotion called DML. Both are available at drugstore.com. I've been using them for years--they were recommended to me by a derm. I wash my face in the morning as well as at night before the Finacea.

I also recently switched from Amoxicillin (500mg 2x day) to Erythromycin (250mg 2xday).

I did try Metrogel, and found it too harsh--NO reduction of papules for me, and the most intense burning I've ever felt in my life. Red to the point where I took 50mg benadryl and got the epipen ready because I thought something was wrong--6 hours after initial application. I've also tried several different topical antibiotics (and unfortunately steroids at first, prescribed by a yahoo doctor before I knew better)--I was never able to tolerate any of it. Ever. In fact I've been on an oral AB for cystic acne/rosacea since I was about 17 since I was never able to deal with a topical other than finacea.

So my vote is "yay" for finacea.
    Hope this helps those looking at taking it...as always, YMMV

Smile Finacea experiences

Thanks for posting your experience; it helps me hang in there too.
    The bumps on my forehead have been gradually clearing, leaving some red spots where they've been. I do find the stinging starts to subside within a few minutes of applying Finacea. I am using it only at night and do apply some CeraVe Moisturizer after the Finacea has dried, which does not take very long.

Thanks, mutant frog???! What a great name??!!

Oldskibunny

lol you are welcome and thank you for the compliment oldskibunny!

Question

Ok...this is disheartening...

Was doing wonderfully with the finacea...sang it's praises....and still, as of today, no PAPULES,

But yesterday I woke up with run of the mill ACNE in various spots on my face.

Has anyone had just a regular, run of the mill breakout with finacea before? Could something in the formula be blocking my pores? Or is this a pustule?? It's not any redder than usual in between zits/bumps/whatever, which is kind of weird for me. Usually any bumps are accompanied with a sea of redness all over my face.

Have not switched anything in the last week, so it is either hormonal (which I find unlikely) or something in the finacea.

Thoughts? Opinions??

I am going to try putting the finacea on only 1/2 my face for the next week or so and nothing on the other side, and then compare the two. That might help me tell whether it's finacea or not....

Cool Finacea experiences

Yes, MF ( still dig that name! ) I have had a problem with papular type bumps on my forehead and cheeks arising while using Finacea. The acid also has made my very sensitive skin even more sensitive and I blistered on two separate occasions after exposure to extreme cold. I was wearing a ski mask one time.
    So, my dermatologist suggested using no more acidic products, like Finacea, retinols, retinoids, or any anti-aging type product.
    Am now using metronidazole cream 0.75% twice daily, Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, Cetaphil Daily Moisturizing Lotion, SPF 15, and Cetaphil Cream. I use the Cream because I live in ultra dry and windy Colorado and need as much barrier protection as I can get.
    Many of us who participate on another forum ( skintype solutions forum ) have found that using gentle products, avoiding too many "active products," ( including those containing botanicals or tea ), protecting the skin barrier from irritants, and being aware of "triggers" has been helpful to many of us. I am a Rosacea Sub-type 1, so try to keep the flushing and blushing down by doing yoga and stress management.
    Doing yoga gets my focus off my face and into feeling calmer all over.
    No more Finacea for me! But my sensitivity range is very high, so this does not mean it won't work for more resistant skin types who may benefit from an acidic product.

Christine aka Oldskibunny

Hi Christine,

Thanks for your update. I found Finacea too irritating too and haven't used it for a few months now. I use Evoclin (clindamycin phosphate foam) in the morning and then moisteriser and makeup. At night, usually I wash and a few times a week I'll use a mild retinoid. Differin and Atralin agree with my skin. Other nights, I wash and that's it. My skin has been better since stopping Finacea.

Thanks again for sharing. Take care.

Yvette

Thumbs up Finacea experiences

You're welcome, Yvette.

It's heartening to learn that we share a common experience with Finacea. I know of a few other people who have had this experience too. Knowing that this is a side effect kept me from pushing ahead and continuing to use this medication. Well, not really, because the two events where my skin blistered convinced me to stop.
    You are fortunate in being able to use Differin. Do you use it to keep blemishes away and keep your skin clear? Which Rosacea sub-type are you? I am sub type 1 and since I've gotten older P&P's are not the problem they were when I was young. Which moisturizer is working for you? From your spelling of "moisturiser", I would suspect you are in Britain or some other place where people speak proper English.
    I should probably move these questions to another thread where they don't distract from the Finacea experience.
    I am going to give my Finacea Rx to my brother who has Sub type 2 Rosacea and more resistant skin.

So far my skin feels good with the metronidazole cream and Cetaphil.
    Be well!

Christine

Hey Christine,

I'm mainly, subtype 1 as well. I have redness in my cheeks and nose, which IPL's and Vbeams have lessened it some. I do get hormonal acne on my chin/jawline/forehead - so a tad of sub type 2 as well. I use the Differin or Atralin to keep the acne mild and it also helps with anti-aging. I'm 40 so using a mild retinoid does help tighten and firm the skin too. For moisteriser, I sometimes use nothing, or maybe a light amount of Kinerase Pro-Therapy lotion on the drier areas. I haven't found a "holy grail" moisteriser that I can slather on my skin without getting too greasy or breaking out! I do have Metrogel but I don't use it consistently. I'm glad Metrocream and Cetaphil are working for you.

I live in California near San Francisco. I see you live in Colorado. Are your Winters cold and Summers hot?

Thank you for sharing too. Having feedback and input on these and other topics are really helpful to everyone. I've learned lots here! You take care too and talk soon.

Yvette

Default confused!

so i've been reading all the posts possible on this finacea thing, and every time it seems people start out loving it and end up discontinuing it! I'm at the same place myself, I have subtype 2 (p&p's, periods of flushing, transient red itchy spots when triggered) and have tried metrogel (irritated me & made it worse), clindagel (didn't seem to do too much either way) and now I'm trying finacea. I started out testing it on one cheek and it didn't sting too bad and seemed to not make things worse. I got a couple red spots that went away quickly and afterwards experienced smoothness and calm skin. I coupled the finacea with a touch of jojoba oil and started using the combo all over my affected areas. after 3 straight days of the regimen my skin looked awesome. it was chill, no bumps, clear and felt less irritated generally. by day 11 or 12, I got lumpy bumpy skin, increased stinging upon application, and a couple of serious red papules which haven't responded to the finacea. the jojoba makes my skin feel great, it reduces the flakiness, but I worry it is blocking my pores. Also, the finacea may be too harsh for me and i'm just now realizing it because the clindagel has worn off.

I'm not sure what to do but this trial and error is exhausting. I use neutrogena healthy skin spf 15 foundation to cover redness and pimples. Nothing helps the lumps.

All moisturizers I've tried break me out or cause me to get irritated which is why i'm using the jojoba. no one else seems to talk about jojoba, so i'm not sure it's the right choice. i can't take antibiotics cause i'm trying to get pregnant.

Any advice would be helpful!

To update,

I still use the finacea. I find it helps best for redness on my cheeks, and doesn't seem to cause breakouts there. So i use finacea on my cheeks and forehead, then I use metrogel on my nose and chin. Weird, but it works. I found metrogel initially to be WAY too irritating, it seems the only places i can tolerate it are sort of the bottom part of my tzone. I usually get bumps/papules on my nose and sometimes on my chin...everywhere else is just RED. So that breakdown has been successful for me. I think its really weird, but the derm was telling me it wasn't unusual at all.

I get really irritated with anything that has J oil in it. But i have heard others sing its praises...

I've also found that using the good skin line from Kohl's (for red/irritated skin) seems to work REALLY well. I use the moisturizing cream and the cleanser only. Before that I was using Aquanil (similar to Cetaphil) and found it ok...didn't do any harm, but wasn't really adding anything either.

Though after having to stop a BCP, my rosacea has gotten NOTICEABLY better, so I am getting ready to try stopping topicals (and continuing the oral AB, since i need it for dermatitis as well). I realize that's not helpful since you're not on it/trying to get pregnant...but i'm excited ;) Fingers crossed!

Spironolactone might also help in the future if your rosacea is hormone related...although it doesn't help you while you're trying to conceive. Sorry

Christine/Skibunny--i too find yoga helpful I went from trying it once or twice to being a total convert, I love it!