Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Finacea experiences

Default Finacea experiences

I've been, as others say, lurking here a bit reading your posts and identifying with almost all of them.
    I have sub-type 1 Rosacea, with occasional papules ( oh so painful too ), and have had this since my teens ( am 55 now ).. My skin is very sensitive. I have a tube of Finacea that I started using but got scared off by the stinging.
    I will try again, and apply it neat instead of mixing with a moisturizer, as I am only supposed to use it once daily at night. I'll try a lesser amount as well and pat it on.
    Fairly benign products that I've used along with this are Toleraine Dermocleanser and Toleraine Soothing Protective Moisturizing Cream, both are by La Roche-Posay. Both of these products do not contain ingredients that are known irritants to sensitive, Rosacean skin.
    I live in Colorado where the sunlight is intense and the air is dry, dry, dry and windy, hence the need for a richer cream moisturizer.
    Thanks for all your sharing and ideas.

Hi -

I've found that when washing my face I splash it with cooler water and patting it dry gently. I wait a few minutes and apply 50:50 Finacea and SPF15 together and put it on. I don't feel stinging this way. I have used Finacea alone by itself (again splashing with cooler water and drying face) but finds it dries my skin if used too often. So, I really only use it in the morning with my SPF mixed in. At night, I occassionally use a hydrating retinol or nothing at all (maybe a slight spritz of toner). If I put too much on my face - I get t-zone oily and clogged pores.

Good luck. Let us know how Finacea works for you.

Yvette,

Do you mind sharing which SPF15 product you are using? So many of us have problems with stinging from chemical sunscreens. My skin is so fair and fine (thin) that I have to pay attention to keeping the skin barrier intact or else I get redness from irritation as well as papules.
    This makes me wonder if I should go ahead and mix Finacea with a little moisturizer.
    I did not apply Finacea last night as I am still trying to heal my skin from a round of using salicylic acid ( Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash Cream ) to dry up some papules. That process worked quickly but it left me a little pink and scorched.

Thanks,
    chris

Hi there -

I have Trish McEvoy SPF 15 Oil free and also have SkinMedica SPF30. Both work good for me. I totally second that many SPF's break me out. If I feel pinching or an itching sensation shortly after application - generally I get a few pimples. Finacea does help since I use it during the day with the SPF.

Yvette

Smile Finacea experiences

Yvette,

Thanks for your response. Is the Trish McEvoy product the tinted moisturizer? The counter artist at Nordstrom told me that this product is being reforumulated and will be available again in Spring 2009.
    Does it contain octyl methoxycinnamate or octinoxate as the sunscreen? This ingredient stings the heck out of my skin.
    One of my online friends at Skin Type Solutions Forum shared his experience with Finacea and Differin with me. He uses both products but alternates them nightly. For instance he uses a pea sized amount of Finacea one night; Differin the next night; the third night he does not put any active product on his face
    He got this idea from his dermatologist and, from the looks of him, it is working well.
    Last night I put Finacea on over a light layer of La Roche Posay Toleraine Soothing Protective Moisturizer and this morning I had no redness, pinkness or burning.
    Since I don't have Differin I am going to use some Replenex Smoothing Serum on my face tonight. This serum has a small amount of retinoid in it in a moisturizing base with green tea polyphenols too. I'll probably use a little Toleraine Cream under it because I have not been successful with avoiding stinging from retinoid or prescription retinol products.
    For sun protection I have been using Anthelios SX Spf 15 Daily Moisturizer again with the Toleraine Cream underneath it. It has worked well for me here in Colorado where we are more than a mile closer to the sun.

I'll let you guys know how this routine is working. I am so hoping for a good response because treating Rosacea, as you well know, is tiring at times.

Thanks for all your posts!
    Chris
    PS. I don't work for La Roche Posay, I am a registered nurse and have found that their products are the least irritating to my very sensitive skin. Before this I had a chemistry lab in my linen closet from all the products I tried and tossed. Also my husband, who has resistive and less sensitive skin uses my tossed outs and looks great!

Hi oldskibunny,

No, the Trish McEvoy SPF15 is an oil free moisteriser - not tinted moisteriser. I'm not sure of the ingredients at the moment, but will check the box and get back to you. I always products and box ingredients before buying, so I can see if there are any potential irritating ingredients in it. The moisteriser is white, thin, and basically has sunscreen and glycerin and such. The SkinMedica SPF30 has a few antioxidants in it - green tea, caffeine, and such. The regimen your friend is doing (alternating topicals nightly) is good.

Let us know how Finacea goes for you.

Yvette

Last week I used Finacea on Thursday night and used it with Toleraine Soothing Protective Moisturizer applied first. I felt the Finacea through the moisturizer but it did not sting or burn as much as in the past.
    Friday night I used Replenex Smoothing Serum 2x, a retinol and green tea product, along with Toleraine Moisturizer again. Again, little burning or redness.
    Tonight, Monday, I will use the Finacea and Toleraine again, followed by Replenex tomorrow.

I got this idea from a friend on another forum who also has problems with stinging and burning from active products, including sunscreens. This routine of alternating actives and starting slowly has worked for him for some time. He uses Differin instead of a retinol product, but I am not that advanced yet.

So far I like this routine and I like starting slowly.

Finacea has been very helpful at alleviating p&p's and their associated burning, itching, and redness. If I use it daily it has been good at gently exfoliating my skin, but in the dry climate where I live it can also irritate the skin barrier. This leads to another cycle of you-know-whats.

I am hoping to work up to using the active product cycling routine twice a week as my friend does.

christine

Thumbs up Finacea experiences

I have finally locked in to a good topical skin treatment program.
    After reading more about Finacea at www.finacea.com and joining the "Skin Savvy" group, I investigated some of the products that are recommended by the two dermatologists on the site.
    Am now using Finacea in the evening only ( as prescribed by my derm )
    AM Routine:

Wash with CeraVe Cleanser ( ceramides help protect the barrier function of the skin )
    CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion (very light lotion )
    Olay Complete Defense SPF 30 for sensitive skin
    L'Oreal True Match Foundation SPF 17 (spf from titanium dioxide)

If I didn't live in Colorado, where the UV Index is usually high, I might just try using Olay Regenerist Daily Regenerating Serum, Fragrance Free (niacinamide helps reduce flushing) followed by the L'Oreal Foundation.

PM:
    Olay Foaming Face Wash for Sensitive Skin ( a soothing gel cleanser that is fragrance free )
    Finacea ( a pea sized amount dotted all over and then patted in )
    CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion
    I do wait until my skin is dry before applying Finacea. The CeraVe helps me to spread the Finacea a little more widely. It does sting at first, but this decreases and goes away.

The P&P's on my forehead are backing off finally and my skin is looking clearer and less pink.
    IMO, guarding the barrier layer of the skin seems most helpful and prevents some of the stinging, burning from Finacea. I also read that it is very typical for Finacea to sting at first and that this may continue for a few weeks ( wow! ), but those that hang in there eventually find that this stops. This prompted me to bite the bullet and go for it.

After two years of looking for a good routine, I am happy with this one. I am pleased with the results I am getting from Finacea, though I won't rule out needing some VBeam treatment down the line.

Sorry for such a long post.
    Bunny

Bunny

Hi oldskibunny,

Glad Finacea is working for you so far. If you find the stinging/burning/itching doesn't subside - please discuss with your Derm. about discontinuing. Unfortunately, I waited a bit too long.

I've been using Finacea for almost 10 months. I recently realized it's just too strong for my skin - giving me more like contact dermatitis or inflamed pore bumps than anything. It still burned/itched this whole time when using. When I finished Tane this year, basically I could put anything on my face and it would work. Accutane was still working in my body so I wasn't seeing any adverse reaction from using the Finacea for several months. Finacea is 15% acid and guess it's just too strong for me. I discontinued it a few days ago. My Derm. wants me to use a mild vitamin C product in the morning and Paula's Choice 1% BHA lotion at night and see how that works for me.

Just wanted you to know. Please keep in touch and let us know how it works for you.

Yvette

Smile Finacea experiences

Thanks Yvette! I will def keep an eye out for this. I appreciate you sharing your experience and I hope it gets easier for you.
    I am trying to keep my skin barrier as intact as possible at the same time that I am using an acid product like Finacea. I think the CeraVe products help, as does eating foods like eggs ( for the cholesterol which goes into creating cell membranes and the barrier layer in skin ), fish, and plenty fruits and veggies for vitamin C. Challenging but doable!
    The suggestions for mediating weather extremes - as best as one can - is also helpful. I keep reading how topical ceramides help keep the skin healthy. Have tried Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Capsules, but like CeraVe because it's effective and less expensive. Avoiding intense sunlight, heat, and cold/wind is a challenge here in Colorado because there is plenty of all. Also can do, but it takes reminding myself to do it and not be as casual as I used to be.
    I often think we get into trouble with trying to use acids to eliminate the P&P's which then creates more inflammation and then more P&P's. In the old days I was all about drying up my skin and now I realize that this causes me more harm than good.
    Hope your skin will be nice to you!