Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finacea experiences

Default Finacea experiences

My derm has recommended that I start Finacea, but I am a little worried about it.

There's one thing in particular. I know that Finacea is used for acne, and is supposed to cause dead skin cells to come off (its keratolytic effect). Well, I feel I have kind of 'thin' skin, and so am concerned that this might worsen my rosacea.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Plus, the 'stinging' that people report - does it really not worsen the rosacea? I can't get my head around the idea that something that stings is going to help.

Oh, also - which is better, the gel or the cream? Any experiences with that?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMediumDog View Post
    My derm has recommended that I start Finacea, but I am a little worried about it.

There's one thing in particular. I know that Finacea is used for acne, and is supposed to cause dead skin cells to come off (its keratolytic effect). Well, I feel I have kind of 'thin' skin, and so am concerned that this might worsen my rosacea.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Plus, the 'stinging' that people report - does it really not worsen the rosacea? I can't get my head around the idea that something that stings is going to help.

Oh, also - which is better, the gel or the cream? Any experiences with that?
    Medium Dog,

I have been using the cream for about 4 weeks, at first it really stung, so much I wanted to wash it off straight away.I perservered and each day the stinging became less intense.I finally had no stinging at all after 6 days of usage.

I actually find now that when I apply it is has an almost calming effect on my skin.My reason for using it is mainly for acne treatment, however it does seem to knock down the rosacea redness on my cheeks a little ( not at first though )
    The funny thing is, on the instruction leaflet it says " can help with rosacea but we are not sure why" or words to that effect.

MD

Thanks Mirradoga.

What sort of skin type do you have - i.e. is it sensitive? Can you use acne products (like, say, salicylic acid) on it pretty freely? Just trying to get an impression as to how your skin might compare.

Good that the stinging went away after a few days, though.

Thanks Mirradoga.

What sort of skin type do you have - i.e. is it sensitive? Can you use acne products (like, say, salicylic acid) on it pretty freely? Just trying to get an impression as to how your skin might compare.

Good that the stinging went away after a few days, though.
    My skin is quite sensitive, i.e cannot use any soap to wash, it has to be extra sensitive cleansers . Can you give an example of a salicylic acid product ? I have used Skinoren but this was too harsh and made my cheeks and nose very red, I believe Finacea is a milder version of skinoren.

MD

OK, not being able to use soap gives me a fair idea.

(Clean&Clear are pretty widespread products with salicylic acid in. If I were to use them I'd be a gonner.)

What about the exfoliating effect that Finacea is supposed to have - have you found anything with that at all? Not sure exactly what you'd be looking for, but...

OK, not being able to use soap gives me a fair idea.

(Clean&Clear are pretty widespread products with salicylic acid in. If I were to use them I'd be a gonner.)

What about the exfoliating effect that Finacea is supposed to have - have you found anything with that at all? Not sure exactly what you'd be looking for, but...
    I cannot use any of the "off the shelf" acne cleansers, they are way too harsh.

With regards to the exfoliating effect of the skin, Finacea maybe be doing this but it is not easily apparent, i.e my skin does not seem to be flaking or peeling. Maybe it works in a more gentle way. One thing I will say that my skin does seem clearer and fresher after using it.

BTW- you know you can get this from your GP, so it may be a lot cheaper than your derm ( unless they are NHS )

Give the cream a try, you can always stop after 7 days if the stinging does not subside.

MD

I have been using Finacea gel for several years. For the first few weeks it stung, but didn't make the rosacea worse except for the cheeks. My cheeks could never get used to it because they continued to sting and it dried them out too much, so I only put it on my nose and chin. Most of my pimples were only there anyway, not cheeks. Do you have them on your cheeks too? One dermatologist I used to have said she did the same thing - just put it on nose and chin. It did really help the redness but lately hasn't been helping the redness so much anymore. It usually keeps pimples down, except for a couple stubborn ones.

Thanks bealjanier.

Is there anything about the skin of your cheeks that explains why it couldn't handle the Finacea? Like, are they generally more sensitive or anything?
    Plus - was it something that could have been countered by moisturizing, or was it irritating and drying?

...thanks again

Another thing - do you guys flush? If so, does Finacea make this worse, at all?

Hi there,

I have been using finacea for 16 months with very good results. it does still sting a bit sometimes but overall my skin is very good.

I very rarely have paps now which is fantastic as I used to have loads before starting finacea.

I think it has an anti inflammatory component that helps.
    I also use purple emu's super rich moisturizer which may counter any drying effects.
    dx early 2006.
    current stategy;
    finacea (on occasional spot), 20+ x IPL and 17+ low level PDL (n-light)