Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zinc sunblock comparisons

Default Zinc sunblock comparisons

I am looking for a new sunblock as I don't think I can tolerate my Dermatech any more. It is a combination Titanium and chemical.

Preferably I would try to try a zinc block, with no added chemical sunscreen agents.
    Years ago I tested Lindy Sy's Zinco, but found it heavy and greasy and it made my skin boil.
    My rosacea was very active then, so I don't know if I would have reacted to everything no matter what it was, or, if I do indeed have a problem with zinc.
    My skin is reactive now too, so no doubt this won't be easy.

If I can buy ( hopefully test first) a product locally, that would be best, as on line international shipping costs are usually hefty.

QUESTIONS:

The products I have found in Australia are:

Skinceuticals defense ( very costly)
    Megan Gale, tinted and untinted. ( Does the tinted roll into little balls after a while?)

Has anyone tried both of these? Which is the least greasy?
    Additionally, if someone has had experience with Linda Sy's Zinco as well as these, what is the comparison?
    Are they all quite heavy?

Thanks!
    Previous Numerous IPL.
    Supplements: Niacinamide, Vit K2, low D3, Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Very low dose B's. Low dose zinc (to correct deficiency).
    Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
    Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
    Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
    Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

I'm new to this forum and only joined beacuse I read about someones very positive experience with Megan Gales invisable zinc (tinted). I use the tube. I'm not a big fan of things that touch the skin multiple times as you apply it.

I bought it and love it. It is heavy though, but I hate things on my face and hardly wear make up and can tolerate this. I use a mineral powder foundation over the top just to make the colour look a little better and less shiny.

My face has inproved 50% in the last week and this is the only thing I have changed.

Ok, I tested the megan gale zinc moisturising sunscreen. I couldn't stand the heavy, mask like feeling.
    Then I couldn't get it off with my gentle cleanser and had to use something stronger, which left my skin a bit parched and irritated.

Melissa, how do you manage with that heavy duty vanicream block you speak about?
    I have visions of you needing to go on an archeological dig to shovel the stuff off.

Meanwhile, back to the drawing board for me.
    Previous Numerous IPL.
    Supplements: Niacinamide, Vit K2, low D3, Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Very low dose B's. Low dose zinc (to correct deficiency).
    Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
    Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
    Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
    Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

I hate those heavy zinc sunscreens. It feels mask like and it reminds me too much of diaper rash cream!
    I've been using Clinique City Block Sheer with the tint, and the Eucerin Extra Protective moisture lotion is good too. Both use titanium dioxide and zinc. I'm not an expert on the other ingredients, but they work great for me, and I don't feel like I have a thick layer of goo on my face.
    Good luck with your search!

Hi Jenny,
    I actually feel like the sunblock is soothing to my face when I apply it and as I am cycling (the main time I apply the Vanicream) I am sweating a lot so I keep reapplying. After 7 or 8 hours when we get back I use baby wipes to get off the top layer gently and then I rinse my face with water and Eucerin cleansing gel and I keep gently rinsing with water and then I take a shower. After my shower I moisturize my face and apply a lighter sunblock like Linda Sy if we are going out to do something else.

I don't rub it off and I don't get it all off completely but it doesn't irritate my skin at all and I don't react to it so I'm OK with it. The vanicream that is all over my body however is much more annoying. The baby wipes before the shower help but even after I use a washcloth and scrub my body in the shower I still feel it on me LOL. But again, I figure it is good for keeping my skin baby soft so

The sun is really my enemy regarding rosacea so I will do whatever I need to in order to keep myself protected and able to enjoy outdoor activities.
    Would I love to find a sunblock that went on and off more easily? Hell yes but I react to every other sunblock that is not zinc oxide/titanium dioxide. I have about 30 tubes of Neutrogena spf55 soft touch that I keep meaning to bring to my sister and brother in law and my parents as I can no longer tolerate it. It was fine for a few months but now I break out in an itchy rash all over with any chemical sunscreen. Very frustrating as those are much easier to take off

I hope you find something that works well for you.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Hello,

I've tried the Linda Sy Zinc O and the Megan Gale Invisible Zinc (I don't like tinted because I'm afraid of staining my clothes). I found both products to be really good and I can't tell the difference between the two. I don't find them greasy and I haven't seen any negative effects on my skin. Because i'm in Australia I've switched to the Megan Gale stuff because it doesn't require shipping. Also the Linda Sy is 14.5% zinc oxide and SPF 20 but the Megan Gale is 18% zinc oxide and spf30+ so I figured that it would be better all round. I wear it to work every day (apply after washing and moisturising) and I remove it by washing with Cetaphil just before bedtime - I don't think it gets it all off (I can usually feel a tiny bit that gets left around my nostrils) but it doesn't seem to be a problem and its not visible. Since I started using it daily, I think it has helped my skin a lot. I'd say the tinted products would be similar.

Shell

Apprently Linda Sy closing shop. She has some great products like the oatmeal cleanser, jojoba oil and of course the Zinco. I can use the Mineral Secrets liquid mineral makeup with SPF by Skin RX as my sunblock. I alternated between that and Zinco anyway. But I'm not sure what cleanser to look into. I like using oatmeal..
    take care,

John

Why is she closing?

Have we confirmation of this dismal intelligence?!

LindaSy to close? I couldn't be more put out if the Ben and Jerry's factory blew up, with the chief designer for Dr Martens' shoes inside it.

I must buy a lifetime's supply of the stuff before it is too late. (That'll be about 10 tubes. (Which reminds me of the joke about a fella who wins a year's supply of Bovril: one jar.))

Say it ain't so!

Angry

It seems she is retiring..I was hoping she would stick around until my rosacea retired...
    take care,

John