Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chemical Peels for acne scarring

Default Chemical Peels for acne scarring

I searched the forum and the prevailing view is that chemical peels are a no-no for rosaceans, i.e. peels can aggravate rosacea. But, I suspect this applies for those with sensitive skin. I don't have sensitive skin. I have had p&ps (which Finacea has been a miracle at eliminating - I love the product) and permanent redness in parts of my face (but limited flushing - more like blushing when embarassed). Here are my questions:

1. If one doesn't have sensitive skin, would it be okay to try a chemical peel to reduce acne scarring?
    2. Has anyone on this board without sensitive skin had any experience with using chemical peels?
    3. If reasonably safe for me, it comes down to which one to use. Any feedback on that?
    4. Through my research, it seems that TCA is the one that has the best result for reducing acne scarring. Anyone have any experience with it? I would certainly start at a low strength (8% or possibly 12.5%).

I came across an informative commercial website: makeupartistschoice.com. Its products have had very favorable feedback on makeupalley.com so I think the company is reputable. It is also nice that the products are reasonably priced. I thought this webpage was informative: http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/pages/whichpeel.htm

Of possible interest for those with sensitive skin is the Non Acid Enzyme Peel which is marketed for those with sensitive skin. Has anyone used?

Finally, the company markets Rosehip and Hibiscus Scar Cream http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/p...nic-451-7.html
    I have read that rosehip oil works well at reducing acne scarring. Any feedback on this company's product or rosehip oil in general?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Last edited by GuyinLA; 21st August 2008 at 04:58 PM.

Hi

I dont have any direct experience but this may be of interest to you:

http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/new...&elink=article

When I bought my born to be mild I signed up for updates from her site.

Phlika, thanks. The webpage seems to be geared more for raised scars. But, some of the treatments seem to deal with all scars.

GuyinLA,

Could you please clarify what you mean by scarring? Do you mean the slight indentations some people get from bad acne, or are you talking about hyperpigmentation with or without a slightly altered texture?

If you are talking about the latter, I have heard that lactic acid is the better choice.
    Incidentally, last year, I ordered a bottle of lactic acid toner from the Godiva site ( horrendous to navigate, but excellent service). I bought it because it supposedly contained an effective form of licorice extract which was touted at being safe and great for fading melasma and hyperpigmentation.

I did test patches for a few days and as there was no reaction, I kept extending the areas where I applied it. Long story short, even though I had no pain whatsoever, not even a tingle, a few days later, my skin started to peel off. I had no idea it would do that. I thought it was just a toner. I used it in phases for about three weeks. It did significantly fade P&P marks and also smoothed out my skin in general, including the texture damage I have often spoken about.

On the down side, it left my face, quite pink, bordering on red. But then, I have very fine, translucent skin and I think I over did it.

Most people who used this 'toner', were acne sufferers.

This was my experience with a type of peel. Unfortunately, I can't advise you on the other products you mentioned as I have never considered them.

I am currently using rosehip oil, mixed with jojoba. I have some pretty bad marks left in one area. Too soon to know if I am going to get any improvement yet, but I will keep you updated.

Just another thought. Some time ago, when I asked Dr Soldo what I could do about my texture damage, he recommended PDT. I have a feeling he didn't appreciate the type of damage I was speaking about, getting the feeling instead, he might have felt I was talking about sun damage.
    That aside, I wonder if it might be good for acne scarring?
    Someone on the forum underwent such treatment within the last few months. Perhaps they could tell you about their experiences.

Also, Dr Soldo's nurse/receptionist ( not sure of her position), Jessica, can be contacted via this forum. You might like to ask her advice about peels etc.

Hi GuyInLA,

For sensitive skin, TCA or any glycolic peels aren't recommended. Even lactic acid (derived from milk) is often too harsh. Salicylic peels are good for sensitive skin and also help reduce acne scarring. Have you seen a Derm. for evaluation?

I just had a salicylic peel at my Derm's office to stop/clear an unexpected breakout on my chin and part of my jawline. I should have been following my Derm's full skincare recommendation, and if I did, I may not have had the breakout. I was on Accutane last year (end of April) and have been off since early January this year. Clear skin since month two/three of Tane - so over a year. Anyway, post Tane, I've been using Finacea like you, but I've been diluting it part with moisteriser and using it morning only. I thought it would be too drying over time to put directly on my skin, so I diluted it. I wasn't using it at night (or any other topical) either. Unfortunately, I'm very prone to breakouts on my chin (hormonal) and need to be more diligent. Anyway, my newer Derm. said mild salicylic peels are the way to go for sensitive/Rosacea but acne prone skin. She did the peel right there in her office. Of course, everyone's skin is very different and you need to discuss with your Derm. to determine if you are a candidate for a peel.

The salicylic peel I had this past Monday (one light layer on my entire face and three light layers on my chin) has stopped the breakout in it's tracks. My skin looks nearly like it did last week - thank goodness. My chin is lightly flaking yesterday/today and the rest of my face is uneffected. Also, my skin wasn't even red after treatment, in fact looked better (salicylic acid is anti-inflammatory). I will be getting another peel or two in the next few weeks intermittent of my next Vbeam.

Hope this helps.

Yvette

mistica, I have slight indentations/rough texture (not ice pick). I don't have hyperpigmentation. My skin is fair, which I understand responds best to chemical peels. As I wrote above, my skin isn't sensitive.

Yvette, thanks for responding. Couple points:
    1. I don't have sensitive skin. Your response seemed to be addressing sensitive skin.
    2. Thanks to Finacea, I no longer break out (so far anyway - I have only been on it for a couple weeks). I'm going to be optimistic and assume my break outs are in the past. Knock on wood.

You're probably quite right about seeing a derm. I'd have to be referred by my primary care doctor (I'm in a HMO). Wouldn't be a problem, but appointments can be a month or two out in the future. I guess I'm a little impatient. Also, these peels are cosmetic for many people.

I have some light indented scars either from rosacea p and p's or from acne. One doc that I saw said he could do glycolic peels for that. I said even with rosacea? He said yes. There's one opinion for ya!

PDT that Mistica mentioned works for acne treatment but nothing for scarring.
    Dx: Feb 2008
    Tx: Nucelle (Mandelic Acid) products, Finacea, Doryx 100 mg, Nicomide, Grape seed Extract 200 mg, Propranolol 80 mg, Spironolactone 150mg, Probiotics

Hey GuyInLA,

I'm sorry I missed the part you said your skin isn't sensitive. Well, then you may be able to handle a peel that is a little stronger, however, I'd only have a reputable MD or PA (physician's assistant) look at your skin and evaluate it. If you can't get in to your usual Derm. - maybe ask for a referral to another? Or, is there a very reputable Medi-Spa (has to be good word of mouth) near you? This could be an option, but I'd shoot for the MD route as a first choice. By the way, peels are very popular the past year or so (article in Allure - September edition) and having a short series can lighten/reduce scarring, hyperpigmentation, wrinkles, acne, etc. Oh, and yes, Finacea is the "bomb" for curbing acne at least for me..... I haven't found anything better yet.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Yvette