Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steroid cream=rosacea

Default Steroid cream=rosacea

Hi there, Im new to the forum! I have used steroid creams on my face for years on and off. About 7 weeks ago I had bad skin rash that looked like a red mask. GP referred me to a dermatologist who said no more steroid creams. He has given me 3 months of lymecycline antibiotic and said it will flare up for a while.

Since then Ive had good and day days - Ive been on the antibiotics for 6 weeks now - But lately the flare ups have been horried, really red on my cheeks, around the eyes, I look slightly swollen too. I am scared this will never go away? Should my derm have tapered my off of the steroid creams slowley as I think I have steroid cream withdrawal flare ups?

How long will it be before these falre ups subside?

Thanks

I don't know how to search threads and post the links- sorry- but if you do a search for steroid rosacea/steroid induced rosacea you will find some helpful info.

Your derm definitely should not have had you stop the steroids cold turkey. I also stopped mine and then had to go back on after about 6 or 8 weeks, just for about four days, to calm things down. Then I used it once a day and Protopic once a day. A few days later I stopped the steroids again (Desonide for me) and just stuck with the Protopic once a day. I did that for about a week and then started going to every other day. I switched to Elidel a couple months ago and still use that a few times a week. You might want to talk to your derm about that option- or something along those line. Stopping cold turkey will definitely cause flares, including swelling, but if you can handle it and tough it out, it should start to clear soon, especially if you are on antibiotics.

A lot of the advice here involves time, patience, and some mild cleanser and moisturizer. I use Cetaphil wash and CeraVe lotion, but I also have skin allergies, so you might be able to handle things I can't.

Good luck and do a search. There is definitely a lot of helpful info here!

~J

Thank you. Yes, I have searched and there are lots of helpful posts. I am torn between carrying on cold turkey or asking the derm to give me something steroidal to help. The flare ups are very hard and to be honest Im struggling to cope with the look - I am off of work with it sometimes.

Did you still get a flare up with the way your derm tappered you off? Im a bit worried cos the flare ups seem more and more often - I have no idea how long to expect this for you know? If its going to be another week or so fine but any longer and Im going to struggle

Thanks again x

Default Steroid induced rosacea

Hi all i posted last night in the how to cope question,,tells a little bit of my story.
    Today after three weeks of being locked up and off work due to severe flareup i went outside,,with my sunscreen on of course.lol

I had a brain storm..I have seen my derm reg for years and although she is good i read here now lots about steroid induced rosacea and i think that is what i have..I have used elocom 0.1% fluroate for years mostly on my scalp for itching.and off and on on sides of my face when i get itch.When i flared this time i used it on the sides of my face and chin again for relief. When i stop using i get bad burning and itching and now realized i get it in the places i used the steroid, Duh.

Although diagnosed with rosacea i don't think my derm and i ever really discussed steroid induced,,she also prescribes this stuff for me to use on scalp only. I truly believe this is it, makes sense of course ,,only reading the posts here did i realize that is what it could be,,thanks again to this forum..
    .I am on tetracycline now almost three weeks.1000mg a day.SO i thought today I will try to wean off steroids,,since i am on tetracycline already maybe a good time to do it...,went to store and baught hydrocordisone 0.5% to lower dosage of steroid and some zinc oxide.I read somewhere that zinc is also good in healing process I hope i am doing the right thing. i have the protopic and stuff but not sure if that is really the right thing to do either,i have been using that for a year as well along with benzo peroxide 8% (solugel) spot treatment on pimples only on nose and chin..no wonder i am in a mess..I want to try nothing only moisturize with my cetapphil.. I guess that is ok Is it?

I know it wont be easy i read the horror stories on steroid withdrawl, but now is good time as ever,,I really don't want to go cold turkey just wean off and see,,,Anyone here have any suggestions as to application of the zinc?? Can i mix it with my moisturizer??i did buy the Zincofax fragrance free 15%..I was trying to look for Dr Marvin Rapaport's abstract on this steroid induced to no avail..says you have to pay to read it!!! but i read some really good ones on some case studies of patients and they all used zinc as a healing agent if i find them i will post..Wish me luck...maybe i will get brave and post some pictures..

Default steroids

hi

Well this is day three now for me,,steroid withdrawl from elocon 0.1% furoate
    used on chin and sides of face for little red hives bumbs or whatever those nasty critters i hate em,,mine always itch severly,,even if i only have one!!! Been using along time too...never used on cheeks or nose though,,i have had a flare each day and didn't reach for my elocon although it took everything i have not to...i have been on tetracycline for three weeks and the flares keep coming.. tonight my chin and around my mouth area was so bad it did swell..very burning and itchy,,so i used my protopic intead and it helped for sure...my cheeks are coming along good p&ps are going fine,,but guess what the areas where i used the steroid are still flaring with avengence...i used a cold wash cloth,compresses on face,,,and i think i went through 5 today i have been flared for three weeks now not much relief,,,This is my worst flare ever to date must say!! I will still continue to use protopic and my tetracycline for now,,,i have also tried some zinc ointment too and it helped.. But i am determined to get off that nasty elocon..

i use tetracycline 1000mg a day maybe 6-8 weeks taper off as condition improves
    cetaphil face wash
    cetaphil lotion for sensitive skin
    3%erythromycin in cetaphil lotion topically twice a day
    was using solugel 8.8% benzo peroxide but am trying to wean off that too

I also have a new addiction to FANS i baught three this week they are helping my skin cool down... i did buy one to bring back to work with me ..i can see their faces now when i walk in with my little fan,,,lol ..have been off for three weeks with this condition actually it was my summer holidays but never got out much in three weeks..the flare is so bad
    oh well what next!!!

Hi newfiechicadee,
    sorry to hear what you are going through

I know the weaning off period is the worst
    but at least you are on the right track
    and hope the tetracycline works good for you

Besides not mixing it with food or dairy
    also avoid taking any multivitamins(they all contain zinc) or antacids
    at same time as they both contradicted with tetracycline.

Hopefully you've read all of J-Mills posts
    since he is probably the most knowledgeable here on the subject of steroids

and as J-Mill said
    the one good thing about 'steroid' rosacea is that it is curable
    by avoiding steroids - it just takes time to recover.

So keep your hopes up!

mfm
    Last edited by man_from_mars; 17th August 2008 at 05:00 AM.

Hi Newfiechicadee,
    I agree with MFM that you are on the right track- and also that J-Mill has a lot of great info out there, so definitely do a search on steroid rosacea and you can get some good support/advice.

There have been a few studies that show Protopic can help with steroid rosacea. I think the subjects used it for 2 weeks straight and had marked improvement. It definitely helped me get over the worst part- swelling, burning, redness, itching, but I do still have some flares from time to time (not nearly what they were in the beginning). If you can handle the Protopic I would say go with that, and try to use it in place of the steroids. As I stated above, I used the Protopic and steroids together for a few days and then dropped the steroids and stuck with the Protopic. I saw great improvement within a week or two. Unfortunately the Protopic really started to irriate my skin and cause regular blemishes, but switching to Elidel helped tremendously. I still use Protopic every now and then if I get a stubborn spot, but for me the combination of Cetaphil wash, CeraVe lotion, and Elidel has helped me enjoy more good days than bad.

Good luck. It's a long, tough road, but it will get better. I'm about 8 months out now and still have issues, but I'm definitely enjoying more good days than bad at this point.

~J

Default thanks a bunch!!!

hi guys

thanks so much for your input,,,its been a rough three weeks as you guys understand
    i had to go get some ativans to calm me down and they do help,,,i know they also can be addictive but i am usually good with them take when i absolutely got to..I have to return to work tommorrow and its a big step for me,(after three weeks),as i know anything will make me flare ,,but i have to do this,,I am a lab technologist and work in a hospital luckily for me most of who i work with are quiet understanding of my condition thank god...And i am very lucky to able able to take those xtra holidays ..not like some who if they don't work they don't get paid,,i know i am quiet lucky that way...The protopic has helped tremendsly and i apply a little zinc around my hairline thats where i get these allergy bumps,,,i had 5 ipl sessions 4 weeks apart about 2 years ago,,,and again lucky our mcp provincial insurance covered it it if you are under a derm care,,i waited two years to get to do this though because there is a waiting list...i never had much problems or down time and i thought it was the best thing i ever did,,,but sometimes i feel i get these sensations on my chin hot cold stingy that only happened after treatment,,,really only complaint i have..i have had rosacea about 20 years now maybe it is steroid induced not sure.. but hey who knows,,i used elocon cream on my face for years when i was in my 20,s but just realizing now 15 years later duh and thanks to the forum people i understand this condition more and more,,,,again thank you for your reply it means so much to me
    I have been obsessed with this site since i had this flare,,many nights until 3.00 am reading and reading,,,Mybe someday i can help someone else....

For give my english sometimes as i speak more newfie than proper english!!!
    SOmething like this!! How ya gettin on today By'e....

Quote Originally Posted by newfiechicadee View Post
    I have been obsessed with this site since i had this flare,,many nights until 3.00 am reading and reading,,,Mybe someday i can help someone else....
    same here! I've been trying to wean myself off this forum too...hasn't worked yet though