Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possible unwanted effects of IPL

Default Treatment intervals

Hi Sonja,

My IPL treatments were spaced at different intervals. Initially, I had them at three, four and once at six weeks. I kept a diary, detailing everything. What I did each day, what I ate, how the redness was etc.

We decided that at 2 weeks, I started to slide and it was felt, if a patients slides too far, they stand a chance of losing what they gained. Dr Soldo is a believer in this. ( He is not my doctor).
    Anyway, my treatments were then set for every three weeks. This helped to a degree.

Fast forward, after about 18 months, when I was just tidying up odd patches of redness and a few capillaries, I had some treatments at 11 days. Not full face treatments.
    My doctor insisted it was ok to do this and because I didn't suffer any ill effects, I only questioned it a couple of times. I was improving so much, I didn't give it much thought at all. I have to say though, if I could detect even the slightest sign of unrecovered skin on my face, I would move my appointment.

When I returned after one year for touch ups, we spaced treatments at 3 weeks. And again, when we were just tidying up patches, we did them at 11 to 14 days.
    Again, no noticable side effects. If I could turn back the clock, I wouldn't have done this.

Fast forward to 2006 and I developed more pigment on my left cheek. It had bunches of veins running through them and the doctor over treated them. What I mean by that is, he turned the energy up, even when I kept saying it would be too high. I grazed slightly.
    I had 3 weeks break and when I returned, he did the same thing again. I grazed again and in addition, near the hair line. This area kept getting outbreaks over and over again, which didn't help either.
    It was these areas which first developed the texture damage.

I want to point out here, that I was badly grazed 7 years ago. I am talking about thick, black grazes in the shape of the crystal. This happened twice. It caused terrible hyperpigmentation, but no texture damage at all. In fact the texture was improved.
    I am not advocating such a treatment to improve texture though!!!

The damage on the top of my nose occurred after a 5 and a half week interval. I attribute this to a double pass, which shouldn't have been done. Not on my skin. Additionally the energy was too high.
    The damage on the right cheek occurred at that same session. Energy of that one shot was too high and it caused a huge welt, which deflated into abnormal skin.

As you can see, it isn't easy trying to decide what caused the damage and what is the ideal time spacing between treatments.
    Perhaps damage occurs due to an accumulation of treatments? Although as you can see, Lissak, only had one treatment. And that particular case is not the only one.

To sum up, I would wait at least 3 weeks inbetween treatments. Examine the skin carefully. If you can detect any 'film' on it, or it doesn't feel right, leave treatment for another week.
    The more aggressive a treatment, the longer it takes to recover. Personally, I don't recommend aggressive treatments. They are likely to cause additional, unwanted trauma.
    Make sure your doctor examines your skin carefully before a treatment. If you are concerned about any areas, make sure he pays attention to them.
    I should have done this.

Sorry for the long reply, but sometimes they are more helpful than brief answers

By the way, how is your skin now??

Thanks Mistica~

Right now I am sore, red, and a little flushy. Still more red and swollen in the mornings.

I wait three weeks between treatments, but may wait four next time based on your advice.

My IPL nurse usualy does a double pass and then goes back and targets problem vessels.

Do you remember what joules were used on you?

Thanks for your insite,
    Sonja

Default Settings

Hi Sonja,

Sorry to hear you have not had more improvements yet. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!
    You may find, you suddenly improve a lot. That is what happened to me in my good IPL days.

Yes, I do remember most of the settings. In fact I have a hand written file of my own, complete with diagrams and results etc.
    The reason for this is, I have melasma, although it has faded greatly over the years with the help of medication. (That comes with risks too).

My face is divided up into different areas of energy, depending on how dark the pigment is.

I was treated with the Vasculight IPL, one pass only ( apart from the time the doc forgot and did a double pass on my nose, which caused the damage).

Different machines are calibrated differently, so appropriate joules might be vastly different. This even happens between machines of the same model.
    The lumenis one is different again.
    Additionally, the individual patients skin type, determines the settings, especially the joules.

I have had one treatment with the Lumenis One, back in May. I only had one pass with the 640 filter.
    23 Joules. I was told that was in the very lower range, but I have olive skin and seeing the lumenis one was new to me, I wanted to tread carefully. (In comparison, I might have had 39 to 40 joules with the Vasculight).
    Hurt alot, but oddly enough, I had completely recovered within an hour. I was told recovery is quicker with the Lumenis One, but really I don't know, as that was my first experience with it.
    I felt I gained improvement with the nose flushing. That was after only one treatment, compared with several with the Vasculight, which did nothing for it.
    My problem is, I have become resistant to the Vasculight, but there is no guarantee I will respond wonderfully to a full course of Lumenis One treatments.

I have been told, by several sources, that the Lumenis one ( in the right hands) is far more efficient and can produce more benefits with less risk to tissue. Improved technology.
    Again, I haven't seen studies on this, but hopefully it is safer. It would be interesting to know which machines caused damage in other people.

Which machine are you being treated with?

Jenny

I am being treated with a Palomar Medilux machine.

I am trying to get to the bottom of what causes the flushing until I can get to a Lumenis One Machine.

I am starting by seeing one of the best hormone Docs in New York, as I feel my flushing is hormonally related. I am 31. How old are you? I know estrogen drops in the evening, so this could explain the evening flushing.

Do you follow any particular diet?

Take Care,
    Sonja

Did you remove the images they don't show up on imageshack?

Hi,

Sorry I did remove them, as imageshack wouldn't let me upload an additional image due to size. I did not want to pay to join.
    I will be posting a hand drawn image soon which details the other damage I have suffered. Taking a photo at this time will not be of any use as my face is currently very red and swollen in some areas. This tends to disguise problems.

I can re-post the previous ones at some point if people are still interested.

I prefer photobucket for uploading and sharing photos

Default Drawn image of damage

Hi,

Despite my good intentions of producing a quality hand drawn image, I have failed miserably. It proved to be far more difficult than I had imagined.
    Still, I don't like promising things and then failing to deliver, so here is my attempt.

Keep in mind that that some of this damage has been greatly alleviated by the use of Retinyl Palmitate.
    Such as the crystal lines. They have all but gone. The orange peel effect is still there to a degree though.
    So is some loss of elasticity.
    This can be better seen on the actual photo I posted, but since removed. I will post it again shortly.

My nose is by far the worse damage I have suffered. Fortunately, it doesn't look as bad in real life as it does in my hand drawn image. .........(at the moment. I have fear it will deteriorate).

By vidamal

God, that image is larger than my last gigantic one.
    I think I had better get someone else to do the posting in the future, as I can't seem to get the hang of it. Sorry

If one of the moderators wants to make size adjustments, please go ahead.

These are the photos I removed previously.
    Hopefully I have achieved clickable thumbnails this time.

When these photos were taken I did not have nose damage.

As noted in hand drawn image above, lines left by the crystal were greatly alleviated by the use of R.P.
    Can't be detected in these photos.
    Abnormal skin texture still can though.