Thread: Really bad past couple of days

Default Really bad past couple of days

I have no idea why but things have got much worse over the past couple of days. My cheeks have been red permanently for three days, and even when they're cool they are still reddish/pink. I'm getting really depressed and the MetroGel, although OK to start with, seems to be making things worse.

I hate this. It is making me stressed, and the two feed off one another, so it's a lose-lose situation unless I can find myself whistling contently at having a bright red face all day long whilst having people tell me I shouldn't spend so much time in the sun (despite the fact I have avoided sun exposure)

Hey

I find the metrogel makes me very red. I tend to just put it on a particular papule,etc.

If I were you I would perhaps leave it off for a few days and wait until the redness has subsided. In the meantime if you arent already doing so I would try some clarityn for a few days (buy the unbranded form).

Sarah

I agree, either leave the metrogel off for a few days, to give your skin a chance to settle, then perhaps just use it once per day for a while. And if all is ok, try and use it as recommended again.
    The instructions in my box suggest doing the same thing

When I was first diagnosed, I couldn't tolerate any topicals, as they only served to exacerbate the redness and burning.
    Because IPL worked for me for me back then, I didn't bother with metrogel at all, barring treating individual P&P's or small groups of them.

Now, it is different and about two months ago, I started trying the metrogel again. I find that every so often, I seem to get worse and then I cut back.
    Having said that, I am not really certain the cause is the metrogel, or perhaps there is another trigger and simply everything topical irritates the skin.
    It is worth a go though. If it helps, that is one problem solved.

I would just like to add here, whenever my face starts to heat, or is red, I apply an ice pack. When my face has cooled, I wait to see if it heats up again. If it does, I apply more ice. All this may only take a short time. (Ice pack wrapped in two tissues).
    I have found if I can break the cycle of redness, flushing and heat before it really gets going, I have more of a chance to return to base line. It helps to prevent, or at least cut down on the inflammatory response.
    At times, I also do this after applying a topical.

I know it sounds like a bit of a bother, but if this helps, why not? It is drug free and safe after all

Good luck!

Default mc

Quote Originally Posted by mc001 View Post
    I have no idea why but things have got much worse over the past couple of days. My cheeks have been red permanently for three days, and even when they're cool they are still reddish/pink. I'm getting really depressed and the MetroGel, although OK to start with, seems to be making things worse.

I hate this. It is making me stressed, and the two feed off one another, so it's a lose-lose situation unless I can find myself whistling contently at having a bright red face all day long whilst having people tell me I shouldn't spend so much time in the sun (despite the fact I have avoided sun exposure)
    So sorry to hear what you are going through. It seems like a virtuous circle at times.The more we fret over the red/burning face the longer it lasts. I have found that the metrogel made me burn. Where the metro cream was more soothing. I also found that the zinco (which I order from Linda Sy) was about the only thing that half way helped to calm my burning down. The zincoxide is so healing. Hang in there.
    Lynn

Same with me. I've been very bad these couple of days. It started with a mosquitoe-bite like thing that was itchy and red. Then it made my face red for the next couple of days. Till now, the moquitoe-bite like thing still comes out for no reason.

I think I'll start using the gel in the evenings only from now on ... or, if it continues to get worse, discontinue it after another week.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by mc001 View Post

Hi!

The same thing happened to me with the Metrogel 1%. At the beginning it cleared me up very fast but then it was a bit harsh on my face. I found the following solution: I apply Linda Sy's Vita Oil 1st as a buffer and then after a couple of minutes I apply the Metro. This really works 4 me, I hope it helps!
    31 year old male from Puerto Rico
    Skin type: oily

Clinique Mild Liquid Soap
    Clinique Instant Mineral Relief Powder
    Clinique Almost Powder Makeup SPF 15
    Metrogel 1%
    DERMAdoctor Acne Control Serum
    DERMAdoctor Born to be Mild for seb derm
    SOLODYN 65mg:
    Supplements
    Digestive Enzymes Veggie caps
    Probiotic 60 Billion
    Zinc
    Selenium
    Dry Vitamin E
    Vitamin D

Imo, I would stop the Metrogel. It's a propylene glycol base which breaks down the epidermis. If you're burning, your epidermis is compromised. I had such incredible intense pain when I put that stuff on in my worst times.

Folks who have a seb derm+rosacea combo..where it's really tough to keep the epidermis up all the time, are especially going to have an issue with the vehicles active ingredients are in if they contain barrier compromising things.

Erikson had a great suggestion of putting either vita oil or jojoba on a wet face prior to the Metrogel. This will kind of mimic a barrier & since jojoba is a carrier oil, the medicine will still access your skin. Unlike say silicone which may block it out. And btw-wait 20-30 min b/w each step so your face can desensitize a bit.

Best to you-
    Kristen