Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaving (male face) question

Default Shaving (male face) question

Hi all!

Lately I've been getting really bad patches of irritation after I shave. The area is red and about the size of a quarter, with a white area in the middle. It itches, burns and is a pain in the butt in general.
    I HATE having facial hair, (the day after I shave still looks good mind you) but if I shaved more often I'd probably be permanently red.

So, I'm wondering if people are:

a) Shaving against the grain but shaving less often

or

b) Shaving normally but shaving more often

Which causes less irritation for you? (Or someone you know.)

I'm using a Mach 3 and Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel. I have been for probably about 4 or 5 years.

Thanks a lot!

Hello

After years and years of trying many products and spending thousands of dollars, I will give u my secret weapon. Many friends are using it, its cheap, and last a lot. I will never understand how this companies that make this shaving gels that NEVER work, keep on going.

Apply Cetaphil lotion or the store brand on your beard and let it for a couple of minutes (apply generously)
    Heat a cup of water for 1 to 1.5 minutes (depending on your microwave)
    Use Bump fighter razors, before each use, put then on a plastic cup with a bit of alcohol.
    After u heat the water put the razor in the cup for a couple of seconds or more and start shaving.
    Rinse the razor with the hot water and shave following your hair growth.
    After u shave rinse off the remaining cetaphil lotion and pat dry. Apply sparingly NIvea Sensitive skin balm or Aveeno Ultra Calming Night Cream.
    Hope this helps!
    Erik
    31 year old male from Puerto Rico
    Skin type: oily

Clinique Mild Liquid Soap
    Clinique Instant Mineral Relief Powder
    Clinique Almost Powder Makeup SPF 15
    Metrogel 1%
    DERMAdoctor Acne Control Serum
    DERMAdoctor Born to be Mild for seb derm
    SOLODYN 65mg:
    Supplements
    Digestive Enzymes Veggie caps
    Probiotic 60 Billion
    Zinc
    Selenium
    Dry Vitamin E
    Vitamin D

I shave every day, against the grain, in the shower, warm water, disposable, no shaving cream. As long as I'm in the shower for several minutes (wash my hair first), the steam softens my beard enough that there is zero irritation.

I never found a shaving cream that didn't cause a bad reaction, even the ones supposedly for sensitive skin. Even the blades with lubricant strips were bad.

1,000mg Solgar MSM
    25mg diphenhydramine
    Rosacea Care moisturizer, tinted ZincO
    I avoid multi-vitamins and most other high-dose vitamins and supplements, oil-based supplements (like omega 3/6, A, and E), nitrite preservatives, sugar, fruit, milk, exercising in a warm room

Less is more!

Retired Moderator

I also shave only in the shower for several reasons. More convenient, faster, and softens my beard much better. (No offense Erik but shaving is already a pain in the ass. I don't want a recipe for shaving.)
    I use the aveeno shaving cream, don't shave very often, shave with the grain of the hair, and only use single blade cheap disposable razors. The Mach 3 and other multiple blade razors do give a much closer shave obviously, but for me anyway, they also provide much more irritation.
    I like a razor that just knocks down the heavy stuff but doesn't take a thin layer of skin off with it as well- which is what I think some of the 3, 4, or now 5 bladed razors do- besides they are fairly expensive.
    I find that the combination of shaving less often and only in the shower so my beard is softer keeps the irritation to a minimum.
    Yours,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Erikson View Post
    Apply Cetaphil lotion or the store brand on your beard and let it for a couple of minutes (apply generously)
    Heat a cup of water for 1 to 1.5 minutes (depending on your microwave)
    Use Bump fighter razors, before each use, put then on a plastic cup with a bit of alcohol.
    After u heat the water put the razor in the cup for a couple of seconds or more and start shaving.
    Rinse the razor with the hot water and shave following your hair growth.
    After u shave rinse off the remaining cetaphil lotion and pat dry. Apply sparingly NIvea Sensitive skin balm or Aveeno Ultra Calming Night Cream.

A serious business shaving. A ritual. I heartily endorse your thorough and ingenious approach, Eric!

I too use a cup of very hot water to dip the razor in but I boil the water in a kettle - your use of the microwave intrigues me. I must look into it!

What are 'Bump fighter' razors BTW? What a very manly name! I want some.

Understanding, have you tried using shaving oils (or indeed jojoba oil or similar) ? Better than gels, IMO.

When I shave, I do so in the evening since the skin has the night-time to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by boyandhisdog View Post
    I also shave only in the shower for several reasons. More convenient, faster, and softens my beard much better. (No offense Erik but shaving is already a pain in the ass. I don't want a recipe for shaving.)
    I use the aveeno shaving cream, don't shave very often, shave with the grain of the hair, and only use single blade cheap disposable razors. The Mach 3 and other multiple blade razors do give a much closer shave obviously, but for me anyway, they also provide much more irritation.
    I like a razor that just knocks down the heavy stuff but doesn't take a thin layer of skin off with it as well- which is what I think some of the 3, 4, or now 5 bladed razors do- besides they are fairly expensive.
    I find that the combination of shaving less often and only in the shower so my beard is softer keeps the irritation to a minimum.
    Yours,
    Rob
    OH ROB YOU CRACK ME UP!!!!

recipe for shaving!!!!!

I really can't use 3,4,5 bladed razors, it feels like in running a grass trimmer through my face (not that I've done it)

Nowadays I can only shave like once a week, any advice, sometimes I have problems with some people at my job or elsewhere. They want to see me clean cut, they always manage to tell how handsome I look shave. I really gave up giving explanations OH U HAVVE SUSH A BEAUTIFUL FASE DARLINGG!

Metrogel 1%
    SOLODYN 65mg:
    Supplements
    Probiotic 60 Billion
    Zinc
    Selenium
    Dry Vitamin E
    Vitamin D

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GJ View Post

A serious business shaving. A ritual. I heartily endorse your thorough and ingenious approach, Eric!

I too use a cup of very hot water to dip the razor in but I boil the water in a kettle - your use of the microwave intrigues me. I must look into it!

What are 'Bump fighter' razors BTW? What a very manly name! I want some.

Understanding, have you tried using shaving oils (or indeed jojoba oil or similar) ? Better than gels, IMO.

When I shave, I do so in the evening since the skin has the night-time to recover.
    Thanks GJ!

Try carefully by heating the water for a minute 1st, then u go on shaving to see how good it works, Don't forget to let the water sit for almost a minute to get all those microwaves away from the water

I used to shave at night too but I've been doing it in the mornings lately. I can't apply the vita oil after I shave, on my neck, don't know why

I have never tried those oils, where can u get them?

BUMP FIGHTER LINKhttp://www.asrco.com/PageView.aspx?N...D=1&RegionID=1

Metrogel 1%
    SOLODYN 65mg:
    Supplements
    Probiotic 60 Billion
    Zinc
    Selenium
    Dry Vitamin E
    Vitamin D

Thanks for the link, Erik.

I use King of Shaves' oils (widely available). However, my skin is pretty well behaved at the moment...I suspect many rosaceans would struggle with it.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by GJ View Post
    Thanks for the link, Erik.

I use King of Shaves' oils (widely available). However, my skin is pretty well behaved at the moment...I suspect many rosaceans would struggle with it.

Cheers
    U r welcome GJ

I will check out the King of Shaves products, I think Walgreens has it.

Metrogel 1%
    SOLODYN 65mg:
    Supplements
    Probiotic 60 Billion
    Zinc
    Selenium
    Dry Vitamin E
    Vitamin D

Like previous posters, I find shaving in the shower is best. Beyond that, I think general skin maintenance, to include moisturizing, will go a long way to improving your shaving experience.

I'm trying out a new product that I discovered in CVS: Burt's Bees Shave Cream. It has Calendula as an ingredient which I have read about on this board. Cost is a little under $8.00 and it appears that there is enough to last at least one month. So, not terribly expensive. I'll post again if I'm enthusiastic about results.