Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lysine supplement

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    Just want to warn people to be cautious re supplements. No offense to the 3 new members ( monkeymagic, helen hickman, joninoxford)
    who just joined to post only 1 post (so far) about these supplements but my radar is on alert as it is interesting that we have 3 new members who joined just to post about how great these supplements are.
    Hi Melissa,
    When you say cautious, Is it because of scams/people with a vested interest in a certain product or because the people who recommend these supplements could be setting you up for a fall, i.e these supplements could invariably do you more damage.

I for one, and because I read Joninoxford's post on another forum ( cannot remember exact forum ) have gone and purchased Lysine. I have taken it for about a month and at the moment have so no change whatsover.

Also if they were to mention a certain "brand" of Lysine I could understand that there may be involved with the company.However the 3 poster's have just mentioned the supplement Lysine which can be purchased by numerous suppliers.

No offence, but I am just thinking aloud and being nervous at the same time, you have got my brain working overtime about whether I should continue to use Lysine.

MD

Joninoxford, Monkeymagic, MasK and Helen Hickman:

If you wouldn't mind, could you each just make declarations of any commercial connection with Lysine - its manufacture, retail, promotion etc; or if you have engaged in any other kind of contract or scheme (like a web-service), leading you to make your posts?

Apologies if you are genuine, but its a sordid thing to tout products onto people searching for solutions to health problems, so we need to be quite vigilant. Sure you understand.

(Mirradoga. It may be that the production of Lysine is controlled by one company, who would derive profits from sale, whatever the retail outlet. Just a thought.)
    Last edited by TheMediumDog; 23rd March 2009 at 03:37 PM.

Retired Moderator

Mirra-
    I agree with Missy that the sudden appearance of three new members suddenly touting one product is almost too much to believe, but that said, not one link or promotion from anyone as yet.

I did look around to see if there are multiple manufacturers of Lysine and apparently it is a pretty common substance. I was able to find a number of sources from various original sources. It is, I am given to understand, a very common additive to animal feed and the vast majority of it is manufactured for that purpose.

Maybe John didn't have rosacea, but instead had a cold sore? (As per this link)- http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/amin...or-herpes.html

And to Alex's one manufacturer assertion, it would seem that he is not so far off with regard to the manufacture of lysine as an animal feed and that they have tried to fix prices. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysine_...ing_conspiracy

But, in the same article, it states that there are various european and asian manufacturers. Point being, the rosacea market- even if this were a proven cure- wouldn't likely be a blip on the radar of a product that generates that kind of cash in that kind of quantities. So, we are not likely to be a target.

Anyway, just an opinion but Mirra, I would be surprised if it worked as well as now posted/advertised but wouldn't be worried about taking it.

Rob

Hi MD,

It's just that we seem to be targets for scammers sometimes and these people may do it for profit or mere entertainment who knows but I want everyone to read testimonials from members who seem to pop up for only 1 post with a healthy dose of skepticism. It's the NYC in me I guess

It just seemed weird that 3 new posters post one post about the miracle that is Lysine. And I am with Alex in that if I am wrong then no harm done but it never hurts to be cautious.

I agree with Rob that it probably cannot hurt you but it would not be a bad idea to run this by your doctor if you are taking large doses of any supplement.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Maybe John didn't have rosacea, but instead had a cold sore?
    Maybe Jon suffered from blushing and flushing from much of his life?
    Maybe Jon had ets in Italy twice but to no avail?
    Maybe Jon is the sort of decent fella who having found something that works for him is kind enough to return to the sort fora that he has not visited in many years to try and help others?

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Perfectly possible. But we just have to rule out the other possibility - there's nothing lost in doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by MasK View Post
    it sounds scary because of the impressive immediate result. I hope there won't be any rebound effect...
    I'm wondering what is in the Lysine that makes this huge difference.
    I've started 500mg morning and night on a empty stomach, I just felt some discomfort, like a little breathless when taking it. It streighten the circulation, so I feel it. But in my opinion, 500 mg twice daily isn't enough to start a difference.
    Did you feel this?
    Maybe with vitamin C there won't be this problem...

Which type of rosacea did you have ? Just redness and broken cappilaries? or papules etc?

MasK
    I'm sorry but I forgot to say that I didn't see any improvements yet. I was just reacting about what was said before.
    I've taken 1000mg a day with 1000mg vit C, since saturday evening. No BIG difference, but I must admit that there's something different. The redness is a bit fainting, but it could be so much things (digestion, what I eat, etc.) so who knows?
    But I still feel this discomfort when taking it, but it's not as much as before.
    I'll pruchase a Lysine+Vit C complex to see. Doesn't cost a lot.

I've read a lot of good things about lysine, in fact I've not read any negative things... Good for heart, prevention of heart disease, muscle-building, good against herpes, etc. Google it, pretty interesting. For rosacea, I don't know. But it really doesn't seems to be a dangerous substance, so let's try with low dosages...

MasK

Good luck MasK and let us know how it goes.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    I did a little search on google about amino acid lysine:

http://www.banishrosacea.com/index2.php really too commercial ;] site claiming its all down to amino acids..

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/ind...&#entry2319057
    Hey ive been useing L-Lysine for some time now and my skin is going so well, i hardly have any acne any more and together with BP its really working great. Im using the 1000mg once or twice a day in between meals, i guess you guys should try it i saw results within 1 week i couldnt find anything online about it but my mom happend to find out about it from a friend, so i tried, and great results so far

a negative:
    http://www.acne.org/messageboard/ind...howtopic=36744

cold sore cream:
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...183216565.html
    "It immediately cleared up my rosacea acne and redness."

http://groups.google.com/group/rosac...%2F2007-01%3F&
    "I've never given arginine and lysine a moment's thought, but walnuts seem to make my skin tinglier, oilier, and more inclined to clog. That might just be coincidental, but it does seem to happen each time I eat more than, say, a tablespoonful. A pity, when walnuts are otherwise so healthy."

anti lysine:
    http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question...5062252AAWNfmL
    Arginine is another amino acid, but its effect on the virus is the opposite of lysine's.
    hmz, my old post ;]] Tried l-lysine 1500 mg quite a while ago for a month and havent noticed any changes. I dont think that adding vitamin C could make a change.. but if some have hope in it, why not?
    reddish

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Hickman View Post
    I will be eternally grateful to Jon for the information on L-Lysine and Vitamin C. I have had rosacea for about a month, and it was getting worse. I tried 1500 mg of Lysine and 2000 mg of Vitamin C twice a day and, after the first day, noticed a dramatic improvement. After using the treatment for three days my rosacea has almost disappeared. Thanks so much, Jon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymagic View Post
    I have had Rosacea for over a year now and have been trying everything under the sun like many others to combat this horrible affliction!! Since reading this forum I decided to give the Lysine and Vitamin C a try.

I ordered 5 bottles of Lysine online for $20 and bought some Vitamin C. Since then I have taken 3 x 500mg Lysine pills combined with 2 x 1000mg Vitamin C morning and night and I am telling you my rosacea is almost gone!!!! I cannot believe it?? My skin is as clear as it was when I was a child. It has only been 3 days!?

PLEASE at least give this a try, what have you got to lose!!

My question though is do I have to keep taking these supplements forever or just until my body neutralize's?? if someone can answer would be a great help..

THANKYOU!! THANKYOU!! My life has begun again

I'd like to know what were your symptoms? Just redness and broken capillaries? or p&p's?
    Thank you.