Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to take against the swelling of the nose?

Default What to take against the swelling of the nose?

What medicin or cream exist against the swelling of the nose?

Please give me some advice.

Isotretinoin - that's the only thing I know of.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

Antihistamines may help.

Default What to take against the swelling of the nose?

Hi

With regard to nose swelling, roaccuate may help. It has eased my severe nose burning (10mg every second day for 3 months) but sadly it has not helped much with the swelling. Topical medications, demodex treatments nor antibiotics did not work for me at all.
    Hope this helps.
    bd eyes

Retired Moderator

Swed-
    I concur with Steve. However, you need to make the distinction between general swelling versus rhynophyma. Rhynophyma isn't swelling so much as an overgrowth of tissue (the sebaceous glands themselves). There isn't really any swelling involved. Not the kind of thing you can put an ice pack on and the swelling goes down.
    Accutane has shown some promise and efficacy when taken in early stage cases of rhynophyma.
    Rob

PS-
    Margaret-
    Glad to hear the accutane has begun working for you- even if only half as much as you would like!
    Hope all is well-
    Rob

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boyandhisdog View Post
    Swed-
    I concur with Steve. However, you need to make the distinction between general swelling versus rhynophyma. Rhynophyma isn't swelling so much as an overgrowth of tissue (the sebaceous glands themselves). There isn't really any swelling involved. Not the kind of thing you can put an ice pack on and the swelling goes down.
    Accutane has shown some promise and efficacy when taken in early stage cases of rhynophyma.
    Rob

PS-
    Margaret-
    Glad to hear the accutane has begun working for you- even if only half as much as you would like!
    Hope all is well-
    Rob

How long do you guys dare to take Accutane/Roaccutan? What I heard it only helps against Rhynophyma when taking the medicin. And I donīt think I can take Roaccutan in a small dose for the rest of my life.....so life really sucks!

Retired Moderator

Swedboy-
    I went back and glanced at your photos. Perhaps your swelling has happened since those photos but I sure don't see anything even remotely resembling rhynophyma.
    If memory serves again, weren't you using B5 to control oil production. This will likely have very similar benefits to the use of Accutane.
    But, specifically, in answer to your question, there are people who have been on lo dose accutane for years. I don't have time to dig up the links but over at David Pascoe's site (they changed the name- think it is the Rosacea Support Community- something like that), he has several links to long term accutane use.
    That said in my opinion based upon some reading, it is believed that anything that reduces inflamation, concientious avoidance of triggers that induce flares, and good hygiene will go along way to prevent the incidence of rhynophyma. Really, the good news, is that actual rhynophyma is thankfully pretty rare.
    Yours,
    Rob

Don't put any crap on it. Neosporin, Bacitracin, peroxide, rubbing alcohol, etc. etc. etc. None of those things are meant for puncture wounds and that is what a piercing is. Peroxide especially carries the added risk of possible chemical burns and rubbing alcohol will only irritate things.

It sounds like it is probably infected but don't panic. Just keep doing the sea salt soaks, keep the jewelry in (if you take it out it can close and trap the infection) and if it gets worse - very painful, oozing pus, hot to the touch - go to your doctor for some antibiotics.

Hello all -

I often get a very swollen nose now - most days, in fact (new in the last 1.5 years). I get pain and burning and swelling due to the same factors that would affect my rosacea skin on my cheeks (foods, heat, exercise, etc.). The pores on my nose are also quite evident but that could be just due to the swelling. I do not get p & p's and never have. I do not get these on my nose nor do I get any other types of growths on my nose. What I am trying to figure out, are these nose issue a symptom of pre-rhinophyma or is it just that rosacea has now started affecting my nose. If so, why the swelling? Can anyone clarify please?

Thank you

Wendy

I have nose swelling too. It's really bad in the morning when I wake up, also when it's really hot. Haven't figuren out yet what it is.