Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using treatments for demodex mites to cure papules and pustules

Post Using treatments for demodex mites to cure papules and pustules

Are there any people here with papules and pustules who have tried some of the treatments for demodex mites? Like permethrin, ivermectin and crotamiton.

I was diagnosed with papulopustular rosacea about 7 months ago when I was 35. At the moment I am pretty much obsessed with the demodex theory and the possibility I may have demodicidosis instead of rosacea. Particularly as I do not flush or go red from any triggers including the sun and I have none of the type-one rosacea symptoms.

I assume the long-time members here have read about the demodex mite theory many times. (See "Is it really rosacea" on page 8 of this pdf document with pictures.) Have you all tried the treatments and found they do not work? And if you have not tried the treatments, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Wistar View Post
    Are there any people here with papules and pustules who have tried some of the treatments for demodex mites? Like permethrin, ivermectin and crotamiton.

I was diagnosed with papulopustular rosacea about 7 months ago when I was 35. At the moment I am pretty much obsessed with the demodex theory and the possibility I may have demodicidosis instead of rosacea. Particularly as I do not flush or go red from any triggers including the sun and I have none of the type-one rosacea symptoms.

I assume the long-time members here have read about the demodex mite theory many times. (See "Is it really rosacea" on page 8 of this pdf document with pictures.) Have you all tried the treatments and found they do not work? And if you have not tried the treatments, why not?
    I can tell you that I think if you have been unresponsive to basic Rosacea treatment it is definitely an area worth looking at. Ivermectin particularly is effective in eliminating dermodex and when used short term has an almost zero side effect profile. Certainly worth a try. Testing includes a simple skin scraping which is fairly non-intrusive and it certainly is puzzling why many derms are not more astute on this issue. Dr. Joseph Bikowski by the way is a well known and very well respected researcher in the field of Rosacea and anything he says about it deserves serious consideration IMO.

Good luck.
    "Get busy living or get busy dying."

So far I have used crotamiton twice a day for the last 6 weeks and then for the last 10 days I have combined crotamiton once a day with permethrin. The creams are very easy to tolerate and go on like emollient. No irritation or redness from the creams.

After the first two weeks of using crotamiton, the itching and big red papules that came with the itching stopped.

On day 18, many small hard skin-coloured bumps appeared on the centre of my forehead and another patch of them on my cheeks to the left and right of my nose, with some going up the side of my nose. I have never had little bumps like these before. These bumps constantly renewed themselves in the same location for over 3 weeks. Then on day 39, the small bumps finally disappeared leaving normal skin.

I am on day 41 now, and still using both crotamiton and permethrin daily. My face is currently totally clear of all p&p.

Today I took 18mg of oral ivermectin as I wanted to kill off any other mites lurking where the creams can't reach, mainly the eye area, the ears and scalp. I am writing this 8 hours after taking the ivermectin. I have not noticed any side effects from the ivermectin.

I plan on taking a final dose of ivermectin in 7 days time. My doctor has never treated anyone for demodex so I have no idea how long it will take, assuming it works.

i've read that tree tea oil works well.

Wistar - Did you take 18mg of ivermectin every day since the beginning of your treament, 41 days ago?

Quote Originally Posted by blankmap View Post
    Wistar - Did you take 18mg of ivermectin every day since the beginning of your treament, 41 days ago?
    No, I have only taken ivermectin once.

Thanks.

Had you tried Metrogel beforehand? Did it work?

I'm trying to figure out if I'd respond to a similar treatment since I think my skin problems are also mainly due to mites.

Default Demodectic Rosacea

I have written extensively on this subject and have promoted the term demodectic rosacea as a rosacea variant. Dr. Plewig came up with the term demodectic rosacea. As one poster pointed out, a simple skin scraping examined under a microscope is all that is required to check the demodex density on a rosacean. Why doctors dismiss taking a simple skin scraping and examination under the microscope is a question you can ask your doctor. It would be interesting as I say in my book if a million rosaceans demanded that this test be taken the first time they went to a dermatologist to obtain a baseline demodex mite count to compare with any future visits. If a rosacean is suffering from demodectic rosacea and doctors dismiss the role demodex mites may play in rosacea and uses Metrogel and Doxycycline instead, it would be shame if later they discover that eliminating the demodex mite was all that was necessary. If you read the literature, demodex has been thought to play a minor role in rosacea since the 1950s. I have come up with a list of papers on demodex mites for your interest at this url:

http://www.rosaceans.com/html/rosace...xresearch.html

The list is quite exhaustive. Don't rule out demodex mites until you have a skin bioposy. Demand it. If demodex mites aren't the problem, then you can try something else. But if you find you have a high density count, that may be the problem. If a million rosaceans demand this test, there will be many more papers written on this subject with the data being collected in patient's records of demodex density counts.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Thank you, Brady.

What I find unprofessional (and unethical) is for dermatologists to not automatically perform a skin scraping. It's so simple, and no dr. would ever consider not performing an x-ray when a broken bone is suspected. Doctors need a re-education. I have gone to the dr. making suggestions (and even demands) in the past with horrible results. I "fired" those doctors, of course. I'm now in search of a dr. willing to listen and investigate instead of simply prescribing steroids and antibiotics (which only make matters worse). Those doctors are hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    I have written extensively on this subject and have promoted the term demodectic rosacea as a rosacea variant. Dr. Plewig came up with the term demodectic rosacea. As one poster pointed out, a simple skin scraping examined under a microscope is all that is required to check the demodex density on a rosacean. Why doctors dismiss taking a simple skin scraping and examination under the microscope is a question you can ask your doctor. It would be interesting as I say in my book if a million rosaceans demanded that this test be taken the first time they went to a dermatologist to obtain a baseline demodex mite count to compare with any future visits. If a rosacean is suffering from demodectic rosacea and doctors dismiss the role demodex mites may play in rosacea and uses Metrogel and Doxycycline instead, it would be shame if later they discover that eliminating the demodex mite was all that was necessary. If you read the literature, demodex has been thought to play a minor role in rosacea since the 1950s. I have come up with a list of papers on demodex mites for your interest at this url:

http://www.rosaceans.com/html/rosace...xresearch.html

The list is quite exhaustive. Don't rule out demodex mites until you have a skin bioposy. Demand it. If demodex mites aren't the problem, then you can try something else. But if you find you have a high density count, that may be the problem. If a million rosaceans demand this test, there will be many more papers written on this subject with the data being collected in patient's records of demodex density counts.

Thanks for your informative post, Brady. I was recently diagnosed with rosacea; in the past, I had medium-to-severe cystic acne. After numerous medications and finally Accutane use, it cleared up. But my face is still red on both cheeks and slightly on my forehead.

I don't flush/blush, and have no known triggers (heat, food, sun, etc). My dermatologist (technically a PA-C, not an MD--I don't really know the difference) did not perform a skin sample. I started Klaron and Metrogel last week.

I considered demodex a few years ago, but was unable to find much information. At the time, it seemed like one of those crazy "alternative medicinal theories" and they recommended soap made with Seabuckthorn Oil, which I ordered from Canada. It did absolutely nothing.

Maybe I need to look for a rosacea-specializing dermatologist..