Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ancestry?

Question Ancestry?

I hope a thread on this subject hasn't already been started... If there has already been one, please disregard mine.

I was just curious as to what everyones ancestry is on this forum? I recall reading somewhere that there seems to be a high percentage of individuals with rosacea in Ireland and the British Isles, so this could possibly suggest a genetic link to the condition, if that is indeed true.

I realize in the United States many of us have a wide variety of nationalities, but Americans usually tend to be along the lines of Irish, Scottish, English or German anyway. It also seems to me that this condition is almost exclusive to effecting people of European descent (probably due to our fair skin) with the exception of a few people of Iranian ancestry I've seen in the past who looked as though they had rosacea as well (though Iranians are Caucasian and some tend to genetically cluster with Central Europeans anyway, so this isn't much of a stretch from European).

My family is from Northern Spain, specifically Asturias & the Basque Country, both regions not only being Celtic culturally, but also sharing very high frequencies of R1b type DNA, which is also the main DNA marker in Ireland and the British Isles.
    Last edited by MikeXavier; 23rd May 2008 at 03:35 PM.
    "The prerequisite for action is the will and the courage to be truthful."

Retired Moderator

Have heard rosacea referred to as the "curse of the celts".
    I for one am 50% Irish, 50% German/Austrian. Blonde, light skin (formerly, now red), light eyes. Family history.
    Check, check, check- all the things that would pre-dispose me.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by boyandhisdog View Post
    Have heard rosacea referred to as the "curse of the celts".
    I for one am 50% Irish, 50% German/Austrian. Blonde, light skin (formerly, now red), light eyes. Family history.
    Check, check, check- all the things that would pre-dispose me.
    Rob
    I've also heard the "curse of the Celts" line This could very well be the case...

I'm not aware of any family history of the condition, in my particular case. I know that my mom has a slight reddish undertone on her face (as well as having freckles), but she's never been diagnosed as having rosacea. However, my sister (who is 25) seems to now be developing rosacea, which is ironic considering her skin is more olive complected than mine.

I had blonde hair and blue eyes as a child, though now my hair is brown and my eyes are green. I do have somewhat pale skin, but no freckles.

Sub-racially, I'd be categorized as being Proto-Europoid/Nordic, which is basically the Basque Nordic type, having no genetic relation to the Northern European -R1a- type Nordics. Proto-Europoid/Noridc (sometimes called "Keltic" or "Keltic-Nord") is also predominant racial type Ireland and the British Isles. Though I may be digressing into anthropological classification now, which may not have anything to do with rosacea.

Digress away, it's a fascinating subject. For a while now i've been swithering about taking a DNA ancestry test, however the cost has been putting me off as it's quite prohibitive. I'll probably go for it someday, i've always been curious as to what's been thrown into the pot over the centuries to produce me.
    Last edited by redKen; 23rd May 2008 at 06:42 PM.

My great grandparents were from
    Austria
    Poland
    Russia
    Romania

That's quite the mix

But no one in my family has had rosacea as far as I know and in my immediate family there is only perfect skin besides mine

Primarily German, Irish and Maori. Very fair skin...

Quote Originally Posted by melissawohl View Post
    My great grandparents were from
    Austria
    Poland
    Russia
    Romania

That's quite the mix

But no one in my family has had rosacea as far as I know and in my immediate family there is only perfect skin besides mine

Your ancestry is actually more genetically homogenous than you may think; however, culturally you come from a very diverse background (though it appears mainly Slavic). It's a good blend

Many Europeans are basically related to each other, in one way or another, somewhere down the line. The whole continent has been subjected to numerous invasions and genetic exchanges throughout history. Most of the European nationalities we acknowledge today were created along political lines, as opposed to ethnic ones. Therefore, the entire notion of a "pure" Italian, Englishman, or what have you, is an inherently flawed concept.

I'm sorry to hear you were the unlucky person out of your family to inherit this condition. That's pretty much the same situation for myself.
    Last edited by MikeXavier; 24th May 2008 at 06:18 AM.

I'm a 'bitza' - a bitz of this and a bitz of that! LOL On my Dad's side I'm about 5th or 6th generation Australian but with a Scottish surname! On my Mum's side it's Irish, English and Portugese. I think that's about all of it?

I definitely see a family history of Rosacea in my family - most definitely the curse of the Celts! Luckily there are only a few of us who have 'full blown' Rosacea! Sadly, I'm one of them!

I do believe it is in the genes somehow.

Jen

I'm 1/2 German, 1/2 English; I think both sides go back like that a fair way. The English side has a history of skin problems, specifically eczema.

What an interesting subject! I wonder if in a few years time decent history will be able to be written at the ethnic/genetic level, that is able to explain cultural, political phenomena etc.

I'm sure that right now, if resources were devoted, they could make a stab at finding genetic similarities among rosaceans, and begin to isolate what is responsible at that level - the common contributing factors.

Similar to Melissa, my great grandparents are from Poland/Russia. Not the warmest place in the world!