Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from South Florida

Thumbs up Greetings from South Florida

Hello fellow rosacea sufferers,

I'm truly glad that I came across this forum as I believe it will certainly help me better understand this strange skin condition.

I have been suffering from rosacea at least as far back as the age of 16 (I'm 21 now). I don't think my condition is quite as severe as some cases I've seen, but I was indeed diagnosed as having rosacea by my dermatologist about a year ago now. Unfortunately for me, I live in Florida and I understand that hot weather is one of the many factors which irritate the condition (?)

I'm looking forward to speaking with and learning from all of you.

Last edited by MikeXavier; 23rd May 2008 at 07:48 AM.
    "The prerequisite for action is the will and the courage to be truthful."

Hi and welcome on board.

You may like to bookmark this link as a handy reference.

It would be useful if perhaps you could describe your symptoms a little and what you have tried so far.

Best wishes

Sarah

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    Hi and welcome on board.

You may like to bookmark this link as a handy reference.

It would be useful if perhaps you could describe your symptoms a little and what you have tried so far.

Best wishes

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Thank you very much for the link, I really appreciate it. I'll make sure to look it over as soon as I have the chance.

My symptoms are basically a redness of (parts of) my cheeks, nose, and a bit of my forehead. Some days my face is worse than others, though I understand this is common. Nearly everything irritates my condition, for example: Going outside, working out (or anything physical, for that matter), heat of any kind, etc.

So far I've only tried a few medications. One my doctor prescribed to me called "Finacea," another medication which my dermatologist prescribed (which I forgot the name of because I stopped taking it immediately because I had some sort of allergic reaction to it) and the last one I tried was an over the counter medication called "Prosacea". None of them seemed to work, at least to the point where it was noticeable to me. Though I must admit that I stopped taking Finacea and Prosacea after each tube ran out, so I'm not sure if I should have attempted to take them longer or not in order to start seeing some sort of substantial results...

As embarrassing as it is, I've resorted to now using foundation make-up to try to cover-up my redness, though I'm even having problems finding the right type for my skin type and shade because I'm too ashamed to ask anyone I know for advice

I'm quite interested in the laser surgery treatment, but I'd like to learn more about it before I rush into anything that serious.
    Last edited by MikeXavier; 23rd May 2008 at 08:10 AM.

Retired Moderator

Mike,
    Hey, it is traditional to welcome new members but I always feel it's a shame we have to welcome anybody to Rosacea.
    Anyway, I live up the road from you in Fort Lauderdale. It's like living on the face of the sun here as you know.
    If there is anything I can do, let me know. Don't be ashamed of the cover up. While I am definitely not going shopping with you, you are certainly not the first guy to resort to that option.
    Best,
    Rob

Hi Mike,

Finacea didn't work for me either. I am currently trying Oracea, but this only to control inflammation induced P&Ps. As for the redness, I have found IPL to help tremendously. It has also greatly helped the burning/stinging sensations associated with flushing/blushing.

Make sure you check out the Laser section. There is a ton of great info in there.

Welcome to Rosacea
    Andrea

Quote Originally Posted by boyandhisdog View Post
    Mike,
    Hey, it is traditional to welcome new members but I always feel it's a shame we have to welcome anybody to Rosacea.
    Anyway, I live up the road from you in Fort Lauderdale. It's like living on the face of the sun here as you know.
    If there is anything I can do, let me know. Don't be ashamed of the cover up. While I am definitely not going shopping with you, you are certainly not the first guy to resort to that option.
    Best,
    Rob

Hey Rob,

Tell me about it, I mean I love Florida and tropical weather in general, it's just too bad I cannot enjoy it as much as everyone else.

It's nice to meet you man.

Quote Originally Posted by asammy1 View Post
    Hi Mike,

Finacea didn't work for me either. I am currently trying Oracea, but this only to control inflammation induced P&Ps. As for the redness, I have found IPL to help tremendously. It has also greatly helped the burning/stinging sensations associated with flushing/blushing.

Make sure you check out the Laser section. There is a ton of great info in there.

Welcome to Rosacea
    I'm definitely going to look into IPL, thank you very much for the suggestion. I'll make sure to check out the Laser sub-forum as well.

Would it be possible to go the a makeup counter with a girl friend.

Alternatively have a look at the rosacea support section they have a great section on makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    Would it be possible to go the a makeup counter with a girl friend.

Alternatively have a look at the rosacea support section they have a great section on makeup.
    Well, I'm single at the moment and the few girls I'm friends with I don't exactly think I'd feel comfortable going with. I've been trying to learn more about what's best to use online, so thank you for the additional link.

There are also threads here is you look in the topical section, they may be quite a way back by now though.

I do honestly think that if you go to a beauty place and just say what the problem is they would not be cruel at all.