Thread: Swollen Cheeks and Rosacea

Default Swollen Cheeks and Rosacea

I am a 22 year old male. I have had intense 24/7 swelling in my cheeks since Iw as 16. Think chipmunk cheeks basically. I was not born with this condition, and I had a thin face up until about the time I turned 16. No on in my family has a swollen face, so its not just some hereditary condition. I have NO body fat either, and the swelling is not the least bit affected by changes in my body weight. So its not just fat or baby fat.

I was diagnosed with rosacea and seb a long time ago, and have the usualy symptoms and triggers which drive me nuts like everyone else, but on top of all this I have this instense swelling that I can feel at all hours of the day. Its very distracting, its like walking around all day every day as if you just got your wisdom teeth pulled and your face is all swollen. Its so bad that I cannot chew food without biting the hell out of my inner mouth the entire time. I constantly have blisters in my mouth because of this. I have never seen anyone else with a swollen face, and havnt seen anyone on this board report a problem like this with their rosacea. I dont even know if it is rosacea related, but I do no it is not natural and its slowly driving me insane.

I have the swelling all day, but certain things trigger it and make it worse like: eating, eating spicy food, drinking coffee, drinking anything hot, laying down, cloudy days, stormy days, washing my face, getting my face wet, anxiety, eating ice cream/anything cold. and ESPECIALLY air born allergiens. There are more but I cant think of them right now. The ONLY time the swelling goes down a little is when im lifting in the gym and have some sort of "muscle pump".

I have a theory that it might be a blood flow problem. Like ive got a ton of vascular non-sense in my face that shouldnt be there and the veins are leaky or too full or something and its just making my face swell up.

Has anyone heard of or experienced anything like this before? Its just not right, most people just think ive just got a fat face...but i dont think most people with baby fat in their faces or who are a little over weight can actually feel a very strong physical swelling. Ive gone to doctors about it but none seem to care/know what to do. I dont think anyone understands how serious this is, they think its just a cosmetic thing or something. But in reality i cant even think straight with this constant pressure in my face.

Sorry if my post comes off as whiny or anything, im just at my witt's end with this and saying im frustrated might be the understatement of the century.

Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Your post does not come off as whiney at all. It sounds like someone looking for help.

People with rosacea do get swelling for just the reasons you describe but perhaps not to quite the extent you mention.

Have you ever thought about lymph. My understanding is that lymph drainage can help fluid retention. I am not sure that this would be suitable for rosaceans though.

Perhaps someone else can suggest something.

Default Puffy cheeks

Hello:
    I'm sorry that you're having a rough time. I can definitely relate to the puffy cheek syndrome although you seem to have it worse than me. One thing you might want to try first is anti-histamines. I have found them to help when I am puffing up do to environmental allergens. Where is the swelling in the cheeks? Is is next to the nose and under the eyes or is it more on the lower part of the face near the jaw? I have had both types of swelling. The swelling around my jawline was due to a cortisol deficiency. Most docs will not test for this; you have to go to a naturopathic doc or sometimes a compounding pharmacist will do it. If your adrenal glands are not working you will have a lot of inflammation in the body...one place it may show up is in the saliva glands which causes your cheeks to swell in that place. My cheeks got really puffy when I was put on thyroid medication. I went to three different docs and everyone patted me on the head and told me not to worry about it. I finally found a naturopathic doc who ran adrenal saliva tests and found out why my cheeks were so puffy. I am now taking a natural herbal supplement to try to heal the adrenal glands. It is working to an extent...my cheeks are less puffy at the jawline.

In terms of rosacea, my cheeks are puffy around my nose. IWhen I smile, it looks sometimes like I have too much fluid in my face and everything is being pushed forward...my guess is that my lymphatics are no longer able to drain at the necessary rate. The weird thing is that I was never really red with rosacea; I was more puffy and my skin was bumpy and blemishy looking. I do a lot of things to control my cheek puffiness. I take antihistamines, low dose accutane, and follow a strict diet...no alcohol, no sugar, no gluten, no dairy, no citrus fruits (lemons are okay), no tomatoes. I also noticed that when I took a herbal supplement called "Humaworm" for intestinal parasites my puffiness went down, but then I drank some alcohol and they puffed back up again. I am thinking about using low level light therapy next to reduce the inflammation. I'll let you know if it seems to have an effect.

Some people might also suggest that you have laser work done. I am keeping it at the back of my mind as a last resort but I am hesitant because it is expensive and I'm a little scared of it. I'm also reluctant to stop accutane for the six months before getting it done. My nose, forehead, eyelids, and chin swell up in addition to my cheeks and the accutane has been a Godsend for me in that respect...although I still have problems if I eat the wrong things.

Good luck to you and let me know what you decide to try.
    Queta

Hi,

My face is quite puffy as well.... I used to have a very "tight", small face and cheeks, but after many years of rosacea my cheeks are swollen and puffy and the overall shape of my face has really changed. I hate it. But in my case it is definitely related to flushing in my face. The more I flush, the more my face is swollen and puffy the day(s) after. I don't know what you can do about it, except for trying to avoid flushing and in my case I try to avoid eating too much salt.

Sorry that I can't be of more help...

best wishes Natalja

By the way: the picture of me is old, from 2005, by the way.. I don't know how to upload a new one, my face is now much more round...

the swelling is in my cheeks...no swelling in any other part of my face except maybe my nose a little. It gets worse with allergies, but unfortunately also gets worse with antihystamines (sp). I have a feeling its a lymphatic problem and that my face just doesnt drain fast enough to keep the fluid from building up. I also know that rosaceans have alot of veins and stuff, more than normal, in their face which I assume proably leak more than normal in turn adding more fluid to the problem than normal.

Im currently looking into lymphedema/morbihans disease to see if it may apply to me, as well as thyroid diorders (a side effect is facial edema).

As of right now im in pretty bad pain, ive been biting the inside of my mouth alot lately when i eat and all I have know is a dull ache left over from it.

If anyone has any info on the above diseases/disorders let me know.

Thanks for the replies too, each one is appreciated.

Default Puffy cheeks

Hi
    Might want to try Nasalcrom, a mast cell inhibitor. It's over the counter and available at pharmacies like Walgreens. It's in the antihistamine section. It takes a few weeks to kick in (you have to use it every 4-6 hours) but it has definitely helped me.
    Blessings
    Queta
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson