Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What moisturizer do you use?

Default What moisturizer do you use?

Hello there,

I have been looking to buy a new moisturizer for my face...

I have tried a couple and don't want to keep purchasing and trying out things.. I really don't want to waste my money.

Most recently I have been using pure aloe vera purchased offline.. but aloe vera seems too drying to my skin, and I want to try something else out.

Most white cream moisturizers always stick to my dead skin after a shower.. and I have to either scrap off the dead cells/moisturizer and wash them off every time.. it is really annoying and I do not know anyone else that this happens to.

I cannot see where to edit my post so I will write a new one.. I have been looking into a natural oil, mostly emu oil. Perhaps someone has used emu oil and can comment on it

I have found that I cannot use any commercial moisturizers because they all break me out and make me redder (this includes everything from cheap drugstore brands to creme de la mer). What I do use is 100 percent organic jojoba oil (dessert essence brand). it does not break me out or burn when applied.

The way I use it is either :

1. wash my face with cleanser, then apply a few drops to my cheeks when my skin is damp

or

2. wash my face with jojoba oil, the whole idea being that oil dissolves oil. so i put a few drops on my forehead, nose, cheeks, and chin and rub it around to dissolve dirt,oil, skin flakes (on my cheeks i do this very gently with my fingertips) and then i wash it off with warm water (dont worry the skin is not oily after this, it actually feels nice and clean and soft).

Sorry but I have never tried emu oil. the idea kind of repulses me. sort of like using lard.

Hi badeliots - would you mind describing your wash routine with the jojoba in a little more detail?

Like, do you wet your face before you put the jojoba on, or is it important that its dry? I've also read that people put a hot washcloth on their face first, to open the pores. I'm scared of aggravating the rosacea with this, but it sounds kinda important.

Also, how difficult is it to get the oil off? Does it just come off as easily as a cleanser? Do you just use water and your hands?

(sorry for hijacking, historybook. incidentally, you might want also to look at the oil cleansing method, because you really shouldn't be getting that dead skin build up in the first place (for the moisturizer to cling to). It suggests too harsh a cleanser).

Mediumdog - I dont use the hot washcloth because it would irritate the hell out of my skin plus i dont think that pores open and close, they're not windows, so hot water doesnt open them it just irritates the skin and makes it produce more oil.

If I am washing with jojoba I apply it to dry skin because if the skin is wet u cant really get that surface stuff off and ur fingers just slide around too much.

1. start with dry face, take a super tiny amount of jojoba to try it, before u know how much u need. because if u use too much oil then ur fingers will just slide around and it will take forever to wash it off which could iritate the skin. so like 2-3 drops on forehead, couple more drops on nose, chin, cheeks. i do each area separetely because i only use my fingertips. so i start by rubbing the oil on my forehead, then nose, chin, and cheeks last. i rub it much harder on the rest of my face than my cheeks, there i do it very gently and my fingers just barely brush the skin. on places like my forehead i do it the longest, until i can actually feel the dead skin on my fingers (maybe around 20 seconds). when i finish rubbing each area its not even oily anymore from the jojoba, just barely tacky.

2. after i rubbed all the areas i start to rinse it off. i use warm ( not hot water) and just put my face under the water. on my forehead, nose, and chin i also run my fingers over my skin to make sure all the skin flakes,dirt, etc is removed. on my cheeks i just run the water very brieflly to remove the surface jojoba.
    3. after this my face feels very soft and clean, not oily and my cheeks arent dry, which is how they usually are. i tried using other oils but they were too thick and wouldnt come off as easily (like olive oil). and i think its pointless to use an oil if u need heavy duty cleanser and or super hot water to get it off, because ur stripping off all the moisture.

when i use cleanser, i apply a few drops of jojoba to dry areas after i wash my skin when its wet.

i am transitioning to just using the jojoba oil everyday bc i have noticed that on the days that i use cleanser my face feels dry underneath and oily on top at the end of the day, but if i use jojoba it just feels right. i havent noticed any breakouts or clogged pores. i use this jojoba cleansing at night, and in the morning i just wash my face with warm water.

let me know if you have any other questions. i think this method is also good because youre not using a cleanser with tons of chemicals and ingredients.

Thanks badeliots (sorry historybook, sorrrry) that's really really helpful. I really want to try this as my skin gets so dry, even from using a mild cleanser. So, with your cheeks, you still feel its doing the cleaning, even though you aren't rubbing it in very much?

I'm just a bit nervous, since some people report really bad breakouts from using this method. I wonder why?

OK so you're alternating with a regular cleanser every other day. Is that a good thing to do do you think?

And its ok to use jojoba on its own? I read people mix in castor oil as a 'cleansing oil' when they're using olive oil. But maybe its not necessary.

Yeah, I was super nervous as well, but I have done this for about 5 days straight now, without using cleanser, and I didnt break out or get any clogged pores. I think some people might break out from it because the oil is supposed to bring to the surface all the stuff thats underneath, or maybe if they switch to oil cleansing abruptly or use a thick oil. But I sort of eased my way into it and my skin didnt get worse.

I think it is still cleansing my face because after I wash my face it feels clean. I know if i just washed with water I would feel some residue but even though i am just very lightly rubbing it on my cheeks they still feel very clean after and arent shiny. It is weird because I think the morning after (since I wash this way at night) my face feels less oily after oil cleansing than after washing with a cleanser. I know at the beginning it feels weird to be using oil to wash your face and not using cleanser, it makes you feel sort of dirty (hehe because of all the brainwashing in our society).

I use jojoba because its supposed to be closest to our natural sebum. I tried olive oil and I was very thick and hard to get off, so I didnt want to experiment anymore and just stuck with the jojoba. I dont think you need a mix for it to work. in my opinion oil is oil and i dont think one is cleansing or not, theyre all the same, you just have to find the one for your skin,. olive oil might be great for some people but i cant use it because it would take too much rubbing to get it off and the water would have to be much hotter which would irritate my skin.

try it once and see if your skin likes it, just start with a really small amount of oil

Historybook-
    I just bought some emu oil today. I have mild rosacea that is a bit worse right now due to allergic contact dermatitis. I have read that emu oil is good for both rosacea and dermatitis/eczema, so I'm giving it a shot. I have only used it once, though, just tonight for the first time. It did not sting or burn at all. (I read on one site that over a 10 year period a doctor has done a study with over 500 patients and none of them had a reaction to the oil). I'll let you know how it goes! Here are a couple links:

http://www.longviewfarms.com/

http://www.emu-oil.com/

I bought the Longview Farms brand from the Vitamin Shoppe.

Medium Dog-
    I think there is something they call "purging" when you start the OCM. Sort of like using an exfoliator, it brings all the yucky stuff underneath to the surface. I believe you can have a breakout for a week or so when you start OCM, but it should clear after that.

I had tried the Linda Sy Vita-Oil and while it made my face very calm and soft, I have also noticed these tiny red bumps popping up. Not sure if it's the whole purging thing, or a reaction to something in the Vita Oil. I switched to emu oil, right now as a moisturizer. I think I might try to cleanse with it, too, or try the jojoba as a cleanser.

Badeliots-
    Keep us posted on your progress! I'd like to try jojoba as a cleaser, but read that some people become sensitive to it. I'll give the emu oil a try for a little while and see how it goes!

~J

Quote Originally Posted by boo2facialredness View Post

I had tried the Linda Sy Vita-Oil and while it made my face very calm and soft, I have also noticed these tiny red bumps popping up. Not sure if it's the whole purging thing, or a reaction to something in the Vita Oil. I switched to emu oil, right now as a moisturizer. I think I might try to cleanse with it, too, or try the jojoba as a cleanser.

~J
    I love OCM and have tried a lot of the thicker oils. I use an 80/20 mixture of sweet almond, or apricot kernel oil / castor oil. I didn't get any tiny red bumps, though I did go through a purging of sorts. Lots of clogged pores became unclogged. I got a few pimples in the crevices at the sides of my nose because the thicker oils didn't rinse that well. I added a few drops of tea tree oil to my mixture which seemed to help with the pimples. I had been rinsing with a tepid/warm washcloth. I finally started using a mild cleanser to wash off the oil. I am excited to try badeliots method with the jojoba.

I use jojoba for moisturizing after washing. In a 4 oz container of jojoba, I add a teaspoon of organic fresh aloe, and a few drops of lavender for skin calming and antiseptic properties and also a couple drops of trea tree oil. Nice thing about having your own concoctions is that you're not dependent on a skincare company to continue the line of products you love. I do also like the eucerin skin calming lotion, speaking of big bad skincare companies.

boo2facialredness Can I ask where you read that about jojoba - about people getting sensitive to it - was it anywhere in particular?

Wicked Dish Rag That's a good idea, using a mild cleanser to get the oil off. I've been testing the ground a bit with badeliots' method, but I'm just a little concerned about all the rubbing and warm water required to get the oil off. It always surprises me (although it shouldn't) that it doesn't just come off with water. But do you think it takes the point away, using a cleanser on top of the oil? I suppose maybe you're getting a little bit of a deeper cleanse; and you'll retain some of the moisture? Or...?

Yeah, I'm looking forward to mixing up my own oils if this works. Do you actually notice a difference from the use of different oils (in terms of redness, for example), or is it more of a...how to put it...nice thing to do?