Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homosexuality was illegal in the USA up to 2003??

Default Homosexuality was illegal in the USA up to 2003??

I watched a show on tv yesterday where they briefly mentioned that up to the year 2003, homosexuality was ILLEGAL in the USA. I this true?? Seems insane to me, that must be decades after most western countries!! Im hetero, and Im of the opinion that I couldnt care less what other peoples sexuality is. That it would be illegal as recently as five years ago in a democratic country seems totally crazy...

Hey Sweden,
    Not in NYC that's for sure.
    And I have never heard of that before but maybe in some backward states it was but really never heard of this.

On another note, have you come to NYC yet?
    And if so, did you have fun?

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Retired Moderator

Sweden,
    I have never investigated this subject but I believe it is likely a matter of definition. Certain sexual acts are still illegal in the US. Generally speaking, they are very old but still on the books. By the same token, in the state of West Virginia there is actually a law that states an adult may not ride in a baby carriage. It seems strange but in our democracy, it is a lot simpler to get a law encacted than to get it removed. Generally speaking, they simply aren't enforced.
    So, without getting too graphic, perhaps they were referring to certain acts. Just a theory.
    Rob

Good point Rob.

Gee, I never knew about the West Virginia Law. Guess I'll have to do my carriage riding in another state

Default This is correct

Quote Originally Posted by boyandhisdog View Post
    Sweden,
    I have never investigated this subject but I believe it is likely a matter of definition. Certain sexual acts are still illegal in the US. Generally speaking, they are very old but still on the books. By the same token, in the state of West Virginia there is actually a law that states an adult may not ride in a baby carriage. It seems strange but in our democracy, it is a lot simpler to get a law encacted than to get it removed. Generally speaking, they simply aren't enforced.
    So, without getting too graphic, perhaps they were referring to certain acts. Just a theory.
    Rob
    You are dead on Rob. It is a certain sexual act that in fact is still against the law in a number of states, but never really enforced, and not homosexuality. In Canada this sexual act was against the law until, and I am not making this up, June of 19...69.

At that time they amended the law to allow consenting adults 18 and over to engage in it. This has become a topic of some discussion around here these days because the Canadian Government just raised the age of consent for all sexual intercourse in Canada to 16 from 14 (with some exceptions) but they did not amend that law. Gay rights groups are saying it is discriminatory for obvious reasons but the government has no plan to change this law. Of course, here in Canada, this law is not enforced (outside of forced situations).

Here are some other strange laws still on the books around the world:

In the UK:

It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament
    It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside-down
    In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless except as a clerk in a tropical fish store
    Mince pies cannot be eaten on Christmas Day
    In Scotland, if someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your toilet, you must let them enter
    In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman's helmet
    The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the King, and the tail of the Queen
    It is illegal not to tell the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing
    It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament in a suit of armour
    In the city of York it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow

The US and Internationally:

In Ohio, it is illegal to get a fish drunk
    In Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation
    In Bahrain, a male doctor can only examine the genitals of a woman in the reflection of a mirror
    In Switzerland, a man may not relieve himself standing up after 10pm
    In Alabama, it is illegal to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle
    In Florida, unmarried women who parachute on a Sunday could be jailed
    In Vermont, women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth
    In Milan, it is a legal requirement to smile at all times, except at funerals or hospital visits
    In Japan, there is no age of consent
    In France, it is illegal to name a pig Napoleon

Retired Moderator

J-
    Thanks for the info. And thanks for the tactful explanation!
    Rob

J-Mill,

You always have the most informative and fun facts!
    Thanks for that entertaining post.
    Now, I must go and rename Napoleon (my pet pig) before our big trip to France next year

Best wishes,
    Melissa

PS I think 14 is too young for any sexual act except kissing and maybe some waist up stuff. I guess I'm just old fashhioned that way

Default Explanation Required

Another fun fact: The reason it is against the law to die in Britain's House of Parliament is that they owe you a state funeral if you do. There have been stories of people in cardiac arrest being literally carried out of the Parliament building in order to avoid this.

Those wacky Brits! No wonder they make the best comedies.

homosexuality was illegal in Texas. i think that was changed in 2003. the law on the books was specifically "sodomy" which is kind of a broad term because it also applied to heterosexuals who were engaging in anal or oral sex.
    so being homosexual itself was not illegal but any kind of sex act which the law defined as sodomy was illegal. despite this, texas cities had fairly large gay communities where it was safe to be openly gay. the only situation i can imagine where the sodomy laws would be used against you is if the police were trying to bust you for something else but didn't have enough evidence but happened to catch you having sex. so if they thought you were selling drugs and raided your house and didn't find any drugs but found you doing somebody in the butt, they could arrest you.
    trying a new diet

In the U.S.....

It is illegal to carry a switchblade knife on a plane unless that person only has one arm!
    Andrea