Thread: Topical Niacin pre IPL

Smile Topical Niacin pre IPL

Hi
    I have noted that some of you have had topical niacin applied before having an IPL treatment.
    Such a product is not available where I live, but the compounding pharmacy said they would be happy to make one up if they knew the percentage of the niacin.

Can anyone advise me of this?

Also, does anyone know if their IPL doctors make their own? Or is there a ready made product they can purchase in the USA?

Years ago, Dr Bitter's office said they were using Nioxin, which is a hair care product. They said it worked wonderfully. I was surprised, but since this was available in Australia, I went ahead and bought some. It did indeed work well and I achieved a far better result with IPL treatment. However, that was years ago, and since then, the company has revamped their products and they now contain ingredients which burn the skin.
    Hence my desire to find a product which only contains niacin.

Any information would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

I don't know much about it, but I know when my doc applies it to my face before IPL it is a terrible experience. Burning, stinging, redness. Pretty much just throbbing pain, but I feel like this really gets those vessels going, which has to help make the IPL session more successful.
    "Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

Is there any way you can preflush without such an extreme/invasive reaction? I have the heat turned up in the laser room as I'm waiting and I get a nice flush going for sure and it doesn't last as long as the niacin flush would so it's safer for you. Some doctors believe any flushing is bad so you do want to try and minimize it as much as possible after treatment. Doesn't the niacin induced flush last a long amount of time?

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Angry

I am having second thoughts now, as to whether I want to go the topical niacin way again.
    Reason being, the prolonged and possibly increased potential to flush afterwards.
    I never used to be a severe flusher. Bad yes. Red, swollen, painful face, yes, but the flushing wasn't as bad as it is now.
    Trouble is, as many of you know, it is so difficult to flush on demand.
    Someone mentioned using a hair dryer to induce a nice flush.
    I am now wondering if I might try that. I mean, in the treatment room, to keep the flush going.
    Last time the nurse soaked a face cloth in hot water for me, which she put into a bag. That seemed to work quite well, but only for more superficial veins. And when I laid down on the treatment bed, the flush wore off.
    Where as, at night, as soon as I lay my head on the pillow, my face flushes badly within a couple of minutes.
    Rosacea is such a nasty, temperamental disease!

I know, it sucks.
    Unfortunately I never have a problem flushing to heat...never. So for me at the doctor's office I always have a strong flush going if the heat is turned up. I would try the hair dryer and laying down so to ensure a strong flush. Good luck Mistica.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Default topical niacin

Hi Mistica:
    Personally I would avoid preflushing. You can cause angiogenesis doing this and that you want to avoid. If your dr applies a topical anesthetic before treatment, as you would with IPL (not with v Beam), that will induce a superficial flush itself and that is plenty. With reactive rosacea skin you don't want to freak it out too much. If done properly, IPL (I go to Dr Soldo and he uses the Lumenis One), will treat blood vessels that are shallow, medium and deep. And over a series you will get most of them without the risk of preflushing
    HTH
    ;o) Bridget

Dr. Bitter doesn't use topical niacin any more. If you want to preflush you can always take niacin tablets, although it's a bit uncomfortable (itchy).
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

Hi,

Thanks for the info and advice. It is always good to hear about and learn from other peoples experiences.

After many months of searching, I found someone with a Lumenis One IPL and I decided to go and see him as he had had lots of experience.
    We spoke about inducing a flush and the best way to do it and in his opinion, which is what I had felt for some time, is that topical niacin produces an artficial flush. And because one of my biggest problems now is deep, DEEP flushing, resulting in a horrible crimson face, we decided to just have me hop about the room and apply a warm cloth and bring it on naturally.
    This chap was trained in the triple pass protocol, but because I have such delicate, translucent skin, I felt reluctant to take risks, so we chose just one filter. The 640. After reading posts about how the Lumenis One was more gentle in the way the light was delivered into the skin, I was stunned at how painful I found it.
    I thought I was burning, but my skin was constantly monitored throughout and there were no signs of negative happenings.
    I recovered from the treatment really quickly, unlike my experiences with the Vasclight, which is all I have ever been treated with in the past.
    That surprised me too.
    Not using any artifical flushing agents was a good idea.
    That treatment was really a test to see how I reacted.
    I would have happilly returned for more, despite the 2 and a half hour flight.
    But here is the bad news. The clincian has gone to live overseas. Alas. He is not a doctor, but has a degree in the medical field. He wants to further his studies and then hopefully to work in the USA.
    Meanwhile Parisians will get the pleasure of his knowledge, as he full intends to continue his work there.

I know I have got off topic, but I just wanted to throw that in. If I find out where he is working, I will post the details. He is such a nice person and spent two hours with me.( After which I am sure he needed valium and a good rest).

Now, back to the drawing board for me. Alas.

Mistica,
    That's a shame.
    Can't he recommend any of his colleagues to you?
    I hope you find someone who is lumenis one skilled soon!

Best wishes,
    Melissa