Thread: Itchy forehead/eyebrows sometimes temples

Default Itchy forehead/eyebrows sometimes temples

My skin is still in the process of healing from my allegic contact derm. I don't know if it's just the healing process, maybe my body still dealing with eliminating the toxic stuff, but my forehead and eyebrows are still pretty itchy. It kind of comes and goes, worse at night (makes me think of demodex), no redness, scaling, flaking, just itchy- more skin crawling than itch/scratch/relief. Sometimes my temples itch a little, too, or tonight my jaw line and chin are kind of itchy, again, no scaling, flaking, redness.

Any ideas? I've had three biopsies done, total, and seb derm has never come back as a differential. The biopsies even say the were stained for fungus and negative. It's kind of driving me crazy!

If it continues I'm going to ask my derm if I can try an anit-fungal cream or even premethrin to see if it will help. The Protopic helps some, but I just don't want to have to keep using it long term.

Thanks!
    ~J

Default Atopic

Quote Originally Posted by boo2facialredness View Post
    My skin is still in the process of healing from my allegic contact derm. I don't know if it's just the healing process, maybe my body still dealing with eliminating the toxic stuff, but my forehead and eyebrows are still pretty itchy. It kind of comes and goes, worse at night (makes me think of demodex), no redness, scaling, flaking, just itchy- more skin crawling than itch/scratch/relief. Sometimes my temples itch a little, too, or tonight my jaw line and chin are kind of itchy, again, no scaling, flaking, redness.

Any ideas? I've had three biopsies done, total, and seb derm has never come back as a differential. The biopsies even say the were stained for fungus and negative. It's kind of driving me crazy!

If it continues I'm going to ask my derm if I can try an anit-fungal cream or even premethrin to see if it will help. The Protopic helps some, but I just don't want to have to keep using it long term.

Thanks!
    ~J

Allergies and allergic reactions can make your skin itch without necessarily causing a rash (for instance eczema itches long before it rashes, hence the phrase the itch that rashes).

I am sure you have tried antihistamines, it can take a while to find one that works for you though. Other options include drugs like amitriptyline which in low doses reduces skin sensitivity/pain responses. It is an anti-depressant in much higher doses. Even at low doses it can make you sleepy and cause dry mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Mill View Post
    Allergies and allergic reactions can make your skin itch without necessarily causing a rash (for instance eczema itches long before it rashes, hence the phrase the itch that rashes).

I am sure you have tried antihistamines, it can take a while to find one that works for you though. Other options include drugs like amitriptyline which in low doses reduces skin sensitivity/pain responses. It is an anti-depressant in much higher doses. Even at low doses it can make you sleepy and cause dry mouth.
    I wonder if that is the same as Atarax, which I have, but haven't taken in a while. It was prescribed to me when things were really bad (to help with the itching). I think it is a anti-anxiety, the other one I know of is doxepin (I think) which is an anti-depressent, used to help with chronic hives. I tried that, too, but it made me flushy. Always fun!

I currently take THREE antihistamines! I take 1 Claritin, 1/2 Xyzal, and 1/4 of a Singulair (I know, why bother, but I think it does help reduce my redness, even at a low dose). I'm also taking a digestive enzyme, which is eventually supposed to help my body absorb the meds better. I had been trying Hope's Relief Cream, which has sulfur in it, so it might be from that. I stopped today and went to my rescue of Protopic and it feels better today. I also used a touch of Desonide on my eyebrows, just a dab!

I got my derm appt. moved up a couple weeks, so we'll see if she has any other ideas!

~J

ETA: I'm definitely familiar with the "itch that rashes"! I've had eczema on my right hand for five years now. This itching is not the same, though. It's a mystery!