Thread: Need some Advice

Default Need some Advice

Hi All,

Over the last 4 weeks i have noticed a red rash like area on each side of my face, starting from the edge of my nose spreading out about 2 inches. Im a 26yr old male and i live in new england. The weather conditions out here can be harsh on your skin. Spring hit about the same time this rash/rosacea started. Being in my mid 20s my skin is naturaly oily and sensative. This rash seems to flair up in hot areas, i notice it the most when i get out of the shower. However it is visable throughout the day. It is red, burns a little and is a little itchy. It is also rough and the skin can become dry and flaky. Ive also notices red/flaky skin in my eyebrows and mustache. I havent been to the doctor yet but I was just curious as to your opinions as to what this may be.
    I have included a pic.

Default Classic

Quote Originally Posted by lookingforadvice View Post
    Hi All,

Over the last 4 weeks i have noticed a red rash like area on each side of my face, starting from the edge of my nose spreading out about 2 inches. Im a 26yr old male and i live in new england. The weather conditions out here can be harsh on your skin. Spring hit about the same time this rash/rosacea started. Being in my mid 20s my skin is naturaly oily and sensative. This rash seems to flair up in hot areas, i notice it the most when i get out of the shower. However it is visable throughout the day. It is red, burns a little and is a little itchy. It is also rough and the skin can become dry and flaky. Ive also notices red/flaky skin in my eyebrows and mustache. I havent been to the doctor yet but I was just curious as to your opinions as to what this may be.
    I have included a pic.
    This appears and sounds like classic sebborheic dermatitis. Seb Derm is a condition of the skin which nomrally affects the eyebrows, hariline, bears/moustache area (of men) nasal folds, causing inflammation which manifests as red, itchy, flaking skin. Frontline treatment normally consists of daily application of antifungal creams (containing ketoconazole or ciclopiroxolamine) with or without a mild steroid such as 1% hydrocortisone. Thereafter maintenance is usually required to keep it under control, some people have success with applying these creams 1-2x/week once it is under control.

Other options include anti-fungal pills, yeast/sugar free diets and a host of other possibilities. The Similar and co-existing forum threads on this board have a lot of information about seb derm.

Thank you fir the reply, I have a Dr apt today and intend to meet with my Allergist, dermatologist, as well as blood work to check for vitamin deficiencies. I will also pick up the pH test at my local CVS and see how that comes back.

I would agree with J-Mill, looks like seb derm to me