Thread: GREAT BOOK that lessened my burning and flushing a LOT

Default GREAT BOOK that lessened my burning and flushing a LOT

I'm reading a book that's helped me so much that I'm recommending it here -- The Clear Skin Diet (by Logan and Treloar).

It talks about the inflammatory basis of skin problems and how to resolve those with diet.

In the two weeks since I've been reading and following it, I've noticed MUCH less burning and inflammation. I can't recommend it highly enough!

Long story short, the book says to eat fruits, veggies, fish, and fiber, and to avoid meat, dairy, sugar, and carbs.

Also critical is to supplement with fish oil so you get those all important Omega-3 fatty acids that shut down the inflammatory pathways.

It taught me what worsened the inflammation; saturated fats (meat, butter, milk), corn oils, and foods that spike insulin levels rapidly. It also showed me what to eat to lessen the inflammation.

And this book is great on which supplements lower inflammation. It all helped me immensely!

Here's the link on Amazon, Amazon.com: The Clear Skin Diet: A Nutritional...Amazon.com: The Clear Skin Diet: A Nutritional...

I know the book SAYS it's about acne, but it's really about the inflammation BEHIND acne. I reasoned that my rosacea was inflammation-based, and that what helped stop that would lessen the rosacea. It did!

So don't be put off by the title word acne, please.

Hope this helps some people out there. It took me ages to figure out that in addition to IPL (great at removing the red from my face!), I also needed the right diet and supplements, and Red Light Therapy, to stop the flushing and burning that was creating so much of my misery in the first place.

Best to all,
    wrinkledclue
    Last edited by WrinkledClue; 18th April 2008 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WrinkledClue View Post
    I'm reading a book that's helped me so much that I'm recommending it here -- The Clear Skin Diet (by Logan and Treloar).

It talks about the inflammatory basis of skin problems and how to resolve those with diet.

In the two weeks since I've been reading and following it, I've noticed MUCH less burning and inflammation. I can't recommend it highly enough!

Long story short, the book says to eat fruits, veggies, fish, and fiber, and to avoid meat, dairy, sugar, and carbs.

Also critical is to supplement with fish oil so you get those all important Omega-3 fatty acids that shut down the inflammatory pathways.

It taught me what worsened the inflammation; saturated fats (meat, butter, milk), corn oils, and foods that spike insulin levels rapidly. It also showed me what to eat to lessen the inflammation.

And this book is great on which supplements lower inflammation. It all helped me immensely!

Here's the link on Amazon, Amazon.com: The Clear Skin Diet: A Nutritional Plan for Getting Rid of and Avoiding Acne: Alan C. Logan,Valori Treloar: Books

I know the book SAYS it's about acne, but it's really about the inflammation BEHIND acne. I reasoned that my rosacea was inflammation-based, and that what helped stop that would lessen the rosacea. It did!

So don't be put off by the title word acne, please.

Hope this helps some people out there. It took me ages to figure out that in addition to IPL (great at removing the red from my face!), I also needed the right diet and supplements, and Red Light Therapy, to stop the flushing and burning that was creating so much of my misery in the first place.

Best to all,
    wrinkledclue

Thank you for sharing this info with us. Can you enlighten us regarding which supplements does this book rave and how much of each is recommended? Also, what foods the author argues are the most and least inflammatory?

Does it say anything about digestive enzymes, Betaine HCl or probiotics?
    Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up again..

The book advises for probiotics-- lactobacillus and bifidobacteria, and talks about the importance of zinc, borage oil, and especially fish oil.

It draws a strong connection between dairy and inflammation, and talks a lot about the importance of omega-3 fatty oils-- says we all get too many omega 6 oils from corn oil, sunflower and safflower oil, and too many saturated fats from meat and dairy.

It recommends oily fish like sardines and anchovies and mackerel. Also lots of varied fruits and veggies.

Also it talks about the connection between foods that spike insulin (sugar, alcohol) and inflammation. Recommends against highly processed carbs.

It's taught me a lot! And now that I look back on the boards, I can see a lot of the same info there, but sort of piece-meal. For me, it's nice to have most of the info all in one place.

It also talks about the importance of a high fiber diet in reducing inflammation.