Thread: Hand veins and leg spider veins: sclerotherapy or laser?

Default Hand veins and leg spider veins: sclerotherapy or laser?

I've become very aware of the enlarged veins in my hands lately, and they are just going to get more noticeable as the weather warms up. I don't have Madonna's hands, but the veins bother me enough that I'm considering sclerotherapy. Have any of you had sclerotherapy? What was your experience like? How long did it take your veins to subside?

I also have some small spider veins on my legs that I could get laser for, or I could go for sclerotherapy, too. Does anyone out there have any experience in spider vein correction? I've heard sclerotherapy is more effective than laser, but potentially more painful.

Thanks!

Hi Tompkin,
    I`ve had both laser and sclerotherapy done on my legs and my shoulder and can honestly say that the sclerotherapy is much more effective and less painful then the laser was . The sclerotherapy also took fewer treatments and is much cheaper!
    25, Mild subtype 2

Thanks, Katgo! I was leaning towards sclero just because I know that laser does take several sessions. I have a consult set up for May.

(Hey, do you still have snowbanks in your streets? I've seen only one teeny one in a shaded lane with little traffic, so I might finally put the shovel and bag of salt away soon.)

Smile

lol i'm lucky NO MORE SNOW ....at least on my street and thats good enough for me! It must be time to take off the snow tires
    25, Mild subtype 2

Sclerotherapy is the way to go if you are going to get rid of spider veins in the legs. A big advantage that sclerotherapy has over laser treatments is the fact that the sclerosant solution will block off the "feeder" veins as well as the bigger more visible vein. The feeder veins may not always be effectively treated by lasers. The basic idea behind sclerotherapy is that the solution seals the vein and makes the body send the blood through other veins. The body will then naturally absorb the "dead" vein over a period of time. Treatment will usually require more than one session and the sessions are typically about twenty minutes. The draw back is that it can hurt more than laser treatment which is typically almost painless. If you can deal with the discomfort and the needle I say that sclerotherapy is the way to go. Always see your doctor though before going to a spa to get treatments done.

http://www.veinclinics.com/compassst...rotherapy.html

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Katgo View Post
    Hi Tompkin,
    I`ve had both laser and sclerotherapy done on my legs and my shoulder and can honestly say that the sclerotherapy is much more effective and less painful then the laser was . The sclerotherapy also took fewer treatments and is much cheaper!
    Yes , I agree! I wish they used it for face, but needles too big I guess!