Thread: Vbeam Tomorrow - Swelling

Default Vbeam Tomorrow - Swelling

so i go for my third & last treatment tomorrow. i must say that so far it has helped, but there is definately still some visible permanent redness there. i still flush too, it just doesn't stick around as long. overall, i guess i am happy w/ the results.

my reason for posting though has to do w/ the extreme swelling i go through. is there anything besides ice or frozen peas that can help the swelling go down faster? i really hate being out of commission for over 5 days because of how swollen i get. my cheeks swell so bad that they cover my eyes and for the first few days i can barely see! and i really don't think ice helps all that much. i ice my face for 5-10 mins (it's all i can take) every 2 hours or so.

Sleeping with your head raised (head higher than your heart) may help.

Not much else I can think of although I did read in the article about warm room flushing that swelling post IPL can increase swelling as the cells may take up the water (something like that anyway).

Hi Lauren...I understand perfectly....I swell up like a giant marshmellow and my eyes are slits...it's soo bad I can't get my contact lens in and my heads so huge my glasses don't fit! YUK

This happens to me no matter what I do....tried sleeping elevated but it's hard to do alnight and truthfully it just doesn't work IMHO. Ice or very cool compress does help some around the eye area for me but I still look dreadful...sorta like a chip monk storing to much food for the winter!

So to my knowledge there is nothing that will stop that awful swelling.....only time makes it better.
    Dx 1998

I'm sorry to hear that your swelling is so bad!

Can you ice every hour for 5-10 minutes instead of 5-10 minutes every 2 hours? And instead of frozen peas or those plastic coolpacks, see if you can get a proper cloth icebag (or two) you can fill with your own ice cubes. I use one on each cheek and find that the cold seeps through without feeling as if I'm giving myself frostbite. If you stick it in and out of the freezer every hour or so, the cubes don't freeze into a solid mass. Leave the bag out of the freezer but (if possible) in a cooler when you go to sleep to prevent a full freeze-up over the 8 hours or so.

Sleeping with a couple of pillows, as has been mentioned, will help a little, and keeping your room cool can't hurt.

You might also try an antihistamine like Benadryl every 3-4 hours (check package directions to be sure). My eyes swelled up badly with a freakish reaction to dust and pollen a couple of summers ago. I barely managed to get my contacts out before my eyes turned to slits, then had to be led blindly down the street to a drugstore to get some Benadryl, which definitely helped.

But it sounds as if your face is programmed to swell, and swell badly. All these tips may help a little, but you just may have to be patient and wait it out. I know how much it sucked for me to have even mild swelling on my VBeam this week, so you're going through a lot more than that. But you are getting results, so hold on fast to that thought!
    Last edited by tompkin; 10th April 2008 at 06:28 PM.

You might try taking benedryl at bedtime and also, try some arnica.

Good luck,
    meg

Quote Originally Posted by meg View Post
    You might try taking benedryl at bedtime and also, try some arnica.

Good luck,
    meg

thanks everyone!

what is arnica?

i have tried claritan which seemed to be no help. i try to sleep on my recliner but then i miss sleeping w/ my husband & dog it's so uncomfortable for me to sleep on more than 1 pillow. but i do try! i will have to ice every hour now, i really have no choice. the first day or two is easy, but then i get tired of doing it! i just hoped there was another 'quick fix' i was unaware of. oh well!

I think benedryl would be better than claritan in this case - for swelling.

Arnica is an herb that reduces inflammation. I think you can get it many ways, but I have used the homeopathic version where you put these tiny round pills under your tongue. I think we got it at Whole Foods. They may also have topical options. See this info below:

Medicinal Uses and Indications
    Arnica is used topically for a wide range of conditions, including bruises, sprains, muscle aches, wound healing, superficial phlebitis, rheumatic pain, inflammation from insect bites, and swelling due to fractures.
    Homeopathic preparations are also used to treat sore muscles, bruises, and other conditions caused by overexertion or trauma. Homeopathic doses are extremely diluted. They have no detectable amount of the plant in them and are generally considered safe for internal use when taken according to the directions on the product labeling.

Meg

meg, thank you very much!

this is great because ironically, whole foods is acorss the street from my derm, and i always stop there after treatments! thanks!