Thread: IPL for mild rosacea?

Default IPL for mild rosacea?

Hey guys, this is my first post on here. Looking for a bit of advice on whether or not it's a good idea to have IPL on my mild rosacea? Im a 22yr old male, I was diagnosed with rosacea about a year ago. Since then ive been able to get it pretty much under control with a good diet and aloe vera gel.

Im pretty worried about the 'progressive' aspect of this disease tho, and it scares me to think that things are only going to get worse unless I do something about it soon. My cheeks are pretty much the only affected area, and i dont really have 'full on' redness, more of a blotchy kind of appearance. Could laser be a good way to treat this early, so that I can prevent it from getting any worse? I hate the thought of this holding me back in life, especially as im still quite young.

Thanks in advance

My advice would be to wait a little, maybe until it starts to progress on to the nose (for us men it generally does manifest itself on the nose)
    I think you will get a more dramatic result from IPL or laser when there are more of the damaged vessels for the treatment head to focus on and zap.
    The offending vessels do return to some extent, and you will need some follow up treatment every year, so I am of the opinion it is better to start with a decent volume of vessels to destroy!
    It is also more cost effective to give the machine a decent workload on your first treatments.

Thanks for the reply. I recently read in the interview with Dr.Crouch (on this forum) that he recommends treating it early, and there is no point in waiting for things to progress? Do you not think that having it done early will destroy any vessels that could, in the future, lead to the condition worsening?

If you have it under control then I would hang on for a few months to see.

There is only risk of it progressing if you are still flushing a lot. Is this aspect under control?

If I could go back in time when my rosacea (which back then I didn't know it was rosacea) was mild and just on the apple of my cheeks....I would RUN to the best laser doc around and get Vbeam to clear it up...and then if necessary once every year or 2 go back just to keep it well in check...this is just my personal opinion but waiting for things to get worse never sits well with me.
    Dx 1998

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    If you have it under control then I would hang on for a few months to see.

There is only risk of it progressing if you are still flushing a lot. Is this aspect under control?
    Thanks for the reply phlika. Yeh, the flushing part isnt really that severe for me. It was when I was first diagnosed because I was under a lot of stress at the time, but its really calmed down now. I dont really get random flushes, maybe a few times a month. The only time i really flush is when im drinking, and even then its only sometimes. But im sure that even with occasional flushing things will slowly progress. Its just frustrating to think that this is the best my skin will ever look, and its all downhill from here!

Lookout, thats the kind of way I am thinking. Im hoping that if I treat it early then I may be able to forget about it for a while. I dont really want to wait until i despise myself before sorting it out!

Well I guess you could always pop along to Dr Crouch for a consultation and see what he says. But don't forget there is no guaranteed outcome.

In the beginning of my rosacea, flushing was not a problem what so ever...later though things started to happen, very rapidly. I wish i would have done IPL right then, but it is unwise to tell someone who just got their rosacea-problems to do ipl or laser treatments, because you might not progress at all, it is IMPOSSIBLE to know how the whole thing will develop. So my final advice is, just like someone mentioned earlier, that you go for IPL if things start to get worse, you shouldnt worry about things having to go too far if you do something early.

//
    dx early 2006.
    current stategy;
    finacea (on occasional spot), 20+ x IPL and 17+ low level PDL (n-light)