Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Could this be a possible cure for Seb Derm?

done-only problem is that link is all over the forum. hopefully they will sort it soon enough
    Last edited by phlika29; 7th April 2008 at 11:09 PM.

Cheers Sarah. I am a bit of a 'geek', I do a bit of 'house cleaning' on infected PC's and do minor upgrades, that sort of thing, as a bit of an 'outside my main job' hobby. Mac's are the way to go to avoid all the c**p, I used them in work for years but I love the challenge of 'Windows' based PC's.

Back on subject. Thank you for the suggestions

PS. At least the site owner is aware of the problem, I'm sure they will sort that as quickly as possible.
    Last edited by allibear; 7th April 2008 at 11:19 PM.

Trouble is my new mac has a intel chip so I guess I am more suscetible. Don't thank me, all I gave you was a contaminated link

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    Trouble is my new mac has a intel chip so I guess I am more suscetible. Don't thank me, all I gave you was a contaminated link
    Don't worry its not the 'chip' it's the coding of the operating systems that makes the difference in the security levels between a Mac and a Windows PC and as Windows is more widely used and the bad boys like to p**s off Microsoft they are more commonly targeted with the exploits.

I wouldn't worry about giving me an infected link, the Internet is full of them, anyway they're easier to deal with than my infected face!
    Last edited by allibear; 7th April 2008 at 11:31 PM.

Ahh thanks that good to know. Hopefully the website will sort it soon enough as its a really good site.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve95301 View Post
    PLEASE don't wet yourself splitting hairs between "cure" and "treatment". Pyrithione zinc eliminates my seb derm. If it doesn't eliminate yours, fine, go ahead and say so, but lose the attitude.

No, there is a significant difference between treating and curing a diease. A cure, will effectively remove the disease as if you never had it, while treating it simply helps cover up the disease, though it is still there.

I have seen so many posts, on this forum and other ones, claiming "cures", and I just think the word should not be thrown around so easily as it has been. Your lucky that it eliminates your seborrheic dermatitis, because this is not the norm.

Wow. It's nice to see this thread caught on a little (even if it doesn't really pertain to the thread subject - it's fine, I don't care). I might as well ask a quick question ----

About 3 or 4 months ago, my forehead started to feel bumpy with tiny red acne dots. I thought it was just acne and it would go away, but soon the bumpiness progressed and then there was some random red blotchiness around my forehead. If you look really closely, you can kind of see dead skin flakes but not too much. It is also a tiny bit itchy. I'm hypothesizing that it's seb derm but I'm going to probably have to go to the derm to find out for sure. So right now, my forehead is bumpy with small red pimples (at least I think they're pimples), some large pimples (which are definitely pimples), it's a tiny bit itchy every now and then, and it has very small amount of flakes when you look really closely (I'm not sure if my skin is just dry from the acne wash or not). I'm not quite sure what it is but it really bothers me. I finally got a handle on my rosacea to the point where it hardly bothers me anymore and now I get this.

Do these symptoms sound like Seb Derm to you guys? I'm thinking it could also be rosacea on the forehead with some acne but I'm not sure because I never feel my forehead flushing.

Edit ---- Oh and I forgot to mention another important symptom: increased oiliness in the forehead. I have a feeling that it's Seb Derm but does Seb Derm make your skin red and blotchy? Oh and how easily can the red blotchiness be reversed? Is it on the same level as reversing the redness of rosacea?
    Last edited by jx242; 8th April 2008 at 06:55 AM.

Default Seb Derm or Rosacea or Both

Quote Originally Posted by jx242 View Post
    Wow. It's nice to see this thread caught on a little (even if it doesn't really pertain to the thread subject - it's fine, I don't care). I might as well ask a quick question ----

About 3 or 4 months ago, my forehead started to feel bumpy with tiny red acne dots. I thought it was just acne and it would go away, but soon the bumpiness progressed and then there was some random red blotchiness around my forehead. If you look really closely, you can kind of see dead skin flakes but not too much. It is also a tiny bit itchy. I'm hypothesizing that it's seb derm but I'm going to probably have to go to the derm to find out for sure. So right now, my forehead is bumpy with small red pimples (at least I think they're pimples), some large pimples (which are definitely pimples), it's a tiny bit itchy every now and then, and it has very small amount of flakes when you look really closely (I'm not sure if my skin is just dry from the acne wash or not). I'm not quite sure what it is but it really bothers me. I finally got a handle on my rosacea to the point where it hardly bothers me anymore and now I get this.

Do these symptoms sound like Seb Derm to you guys? I'm thinking it could also be rosacea on the forehead with some acne but I'm not sure because I never feel my forehead flushing.

Edit ---- Oh and I forgot to mention another important symptom: increased oiliness in the forehead. I have a feeling that it's Seb Derm but does Seb Derm make your skin red and blotchy? Oh and how easily can the red blotchiness be reversed? Is it on the same level as reversing the redness of rosacea?
    Seb Derm does not usually involve pustules or papules but since Rosacea and Seb Derm are seen so often together it is quite possible you have Rosacea with a seb derm overlap. Problem is some Rosaceans get flaky skin (scaling) and itchiness from Rosacea alone (presumably, I say that because there is no way to definitely rule out seb derm even with a biopsy, so are these people actually suffering form seb derm as well as Rosacea?).

Just some basic info to help overcome some of the miss info on this thread. I have seb derm terribly and it over laps my Rosacea btw..

"Seborrheic Dermatitis:

Seborrheic dermatitis is a common skin condition affecting millions of Americans. It shows up as flaking skin, or reddish patches. Unlike people with dry skin, the skin in people with seborrheic dermatitis is usually oily. It can be unsightly, itchy and, since it is often on the face, may cause embarrassment. It is not contagious. Scales form on reddened skin.

In adults seborrheic dermatitis usually affects the scalp, eyebrows, ear canals, sides of the nose, and behind the ears. It sometimes affects the armpits, chest and in the groin area. Most people with it complain of dandruff, especially on the back and sides of the scalp (bad dandruff bad dandruff is usually seborrheic dermatitis).

Stress, fatigue, weather extremes, oily skin and infrequent shampooing or skin cleaning make it worse. Severe medical illnesses, including AIDS, Parkinson's disease, head injury, and stroke are associated with seborrheic dermatitis. These are thought to make the normal skin care that prevents seborrheic dermatitis harder to keep up with. The vast majority of people with seborrheic dermatitis have no associated conditions.

Seborrheic dermatitis may start in infancy as cradle cap. It affects the scalp as thick, crusty, yellow scales. Children usually outgrow it by age 3 and do not normally get seborrheic dermatitis. Cradle cap is not contagious, it is not caused by poor hygiene, it is not an allergy, and it is not dangerous. Cradle cap usually does not itch, but it may. If excessive scratching occurs, it can cause additional inflammation, mild infections or bleeding.

The problem in seborrheic dermatitis is in the oil (sebaceous) glands and hair follicles. People with seborrheic dermatitis produce too much sebum (the natural skin oil). Later, pityrosporum yeast grows excessively in the sebum, sometime along with bacteria, making the dermatitis more persistent."

Then comes the excessive immune response that really stinks. Seb Derm is over production of oil. If your skin isn't oily, then it isn't seb derm, it's another form of dermatitus. I have read studies that the ONLY WAY to eliminate the out of control oil production from seb glands is castration which stops the production of (T) testosterone and your sex drive (yikes) or isotretinoin (accutane) which should be low dose as it has strong side effects. I've read that those castrated that had acne and seb derm prior that had castration, then had perfect skin after. Some with cancer that had to have their testes removed also reported that same.

I'd much rather get rid of my seb derm than Rosacea if I had to choose.

Paul
    Facial and Scalp Seb derm, Steroid cream induced Rosacea, tend to break out easily, very reactive, sensitive, allergic, malassezia gray biofilm.
    Using Celtic Sea Salt, couple pinches in large bowl of pure water. No cleansers. Chlorine shower filter.

Dont forget there are birth control pills that block testosterone and also spironolactone (if you don't fancy castration).