Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Could this be a possible cure for Seb Derm?

Default A cure for seb derm

IMO the cure for seb derm has nothing to do with fixing skin turnover rates or sebum production but fixing the immune system dysfunction that causes the body to "over react" to naturally occurring yeast on the face.

BTW I posted on this before, be wary of P&G's research, P. Zinc assists dandruff by correcting skin turnover rates, as far as I know it has no effect on yeast. The research claimed effectiveness against the M. Globosa fungus, but study after study over the last 2 decades have placed the blame at the feet on the M. Furfur yeast. In any event right now there is only control, no cure. That being said it would be nice if some researchers got off their collective duffs and checked into better treatments than what we have. My derm admitted that he has an easier time treating people with psoriasis than seb derm or rosacea. Psoriasis has uv-b and biologics, what do we have, head & shoulders and metrogel, its like living in some weird futuristic society!

Quote Originally Posted by historybook View Post
    PLEASE don't spread misinformation.

Pyrithicone zinc is NOT a cure of seborrheic dermatitis. While their is a link between the yeast and seb derm, it is not the whole case, or else antifungals that I have been using for 6 weeks would have "cured" me, but actually it hasn't done much at all that normal moisturizing has done for me in the past.

While there are connections that pyrithicone zinc can help treat seborrheic dermatitis, it is in NO way a cure, and no dermatologist will say that pyrithicone zinc, cures it.
    PLEASE don't wet yourself splitting hairs between "cure" and "treatment". Pyrithione zinc eliminates my seb derm. If it doesn't eliminate yours, fine, go ahead and say so, but lose the attitude.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

I think the distinction between "cure" and "maintenance treatment" is quite an important one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve95301 View Post
    Seb derm is just dandruff of the face.
    Can I ask a question on this?

Before I developed Rosacea I would say I just had 'normal' skin. No excessive dryness or oiliness in any area. When I started experiencing major flareups that lasted for quite a along time I noticed that my whole face would become quite oily but my cheeks and forehead would feel uncomfortably tight, burny and itchy. I eventually started getting flakey bits of skin in these areas. I just thought this was over dryness of the skin in these areas, balanced nicely with the oil slick I also seemed to develop on a permanent basis around my nose. Do you think this possibly could have been seb derm.?

I haven't had this going on for the past 3 months or so now and the oiliness around the nose has calmed down, but I am just curious to know, as if it starts again it is helpful to know what you might be dealing with.

I would also be prone to a bit of what I would always have called 'dandruff', (I have only heard of the term seb derm in recent months), in the hairline at the forehead and sometimes around the nape of the neck, even long before I had a problem with Rosacea.

Allibear

It does sound very much like seb derm

edited to remove link (see below)
    Last edited by phlika29; 7th April 2008 at 10:53 PM.

[quote=phlika29;179790]Allibear

It does sound very much like seb derm

Cheers Sarah. I was quite interested in the connection between seb derm and yeast infection being discussed here. 5 or 6 years ago I had problems with a reoccurring yeast infection of the throat, (have never had it 'down below' ), leaving me with a constant sore throat for a few years. I was generally a bit run down at the time, working long hours, not getting enough sleep and a bit overstressed. I was prescribed anti-fungal pastels for it on several occasions.

I have not had that reoccur for a few years now, (guess what, I changed jobs), but maybe if one has been susceptible to some form of yeast infection in one part of the body it would seem logical that they may be prone in other areas.
    Last edited by phlika29; 7th April 2008 at 10:58 PM.

I would say so. There are many things you can try if it comes back such as the supplement pau d'arco, lemon juice in water, raw garlic. I find cutting back on sugary foods, wheat and dairy helpful.

Sarah, the link 'Seb Derm' is being blocked by Kaspersky IS. It is blocking the malicious http script belonging to Trojan.JS.Redirector.e This malicious JavaScript is usually embedded in HTML pages hosted in a Web site. It may also be spammed via email. Successful download routine allows this Trojan to execute its malicious activities on the inffected PC, usually to hijack IE and keep redirecting the user to fake program sites. The webmaster of the site dosen't put it there the page is usually hacked by the bad boys out there.

I have tried it a few times now and it gets blocked everytime. It could be a false positive on behalf of Kaspersky, but with malicious scripts detected on web pages by the web AV, I doubt it. It's late and I haven't time to hunt around the Kaspersky forum to see if there have been any false detections of this, but will have a look into it tomorrow night.

A a precaution I would remove the link.

I have no option to edit my post no.16, where I have quoted the live link. Could I ask an administrator to remove the link please.

Okay I have removed the link. I have no idea about anything you just said-went way over my head. I work on an apple mac and it doesn't appear to have any problems with it.

The link is to the new zealand derm net. Its a link that has been used thousand of times before so hopefully there isn't a problem with it. Actually you are right-just seen this message at the top of their page:

Announcement: some of our visitors are experiencing undesirable redirections at present. These are completely beyond our control but we do apologise for the inconvenience. We are endeavouring to restore DermNet NZ to its usual state as fast as possible.