Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could this be a possible cure for Seb Derm?

Default Could this be a possible cure for Seb Derm?

http://www.egowoon.com/sub_06_11.htm

Scroll down to "Gobayasi sebaceous gland removal" in the middle there. I don't really know much about the causes of Seb Derm so I'm not very sure if this would help it or not. What do you guys think? I myself have a sort of red, blotchy, bumpy, and itchy forehead with acne and I'm still not even sure if I have Seb Derm but I just wanted to share this link with you guys.
    Last edited by jx242; 6th April 2008 at 06:27 AM.

There's already a cure for seb derm, it's pyrithicone zinc, which is in dandruff shampoos. Seb derm is just dandruff of the face.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

Oh, thanks for the info. I was under the impression that it couldn't be cured, only maintained. I'll have to go buy some of that stuff and see how it works.

Hi jx242,

Quite a few of us seem to have seb. derm. without having oily skin - mine is very dry at the moment; so removal of the sebaceous glands wouldn't be a treatment I'd consider. I too have always been under the impression that seb. derm. can't be cured as such. Certain treatments like anti-fungal topicals and zinc pyrithone can kill off some/all of the yeasts that we react to ( though zinc pyrithone does nothing for me, on the face or scalp). But I think of the condition as my skin's tendency, for whatever reason, to overreact to these yeasts - after all, they're present on everyone's skin, but most people don't have a problem with them. So in that sense, there is no cure, unless we could somehow stop our skin reacting in this way.

Best wishes,

Kristina

I tried the H&S and it did nothing for me....so if this is the cure for SD it stinks IMO.
    Dx 1998

Retired Moderator

Gosh, if the cure for seb derm is pyrithicone zinc, wonder how all those dandruff shampoos manage to stay in business?
    I for one have tried p zinc containing facial washes and I assure you, it may help to control it, it may help make it less evident, but it sure as hell doesn't cure anything. So, as a cure for SD, I second the "it stinks IMO" as well.
    Rob

p zinc is not a cure. It can be a great help for some people, mading the physical symptoms of seb derms barely visible, but the root problem is still there. For others, including me, p zinc has no effect whatsoever.

I bumped up the thread "Genetic code of dandruff cracked" in the "News, research articles & Current affairs" section... The study conducted by Proctor & Gamble found pyr-zinc can help it but is no cure all, they found that there can be several different fungi responsible for it and are now coming up with a treatment to erraticate it or tame it into submission... good read and P&G has deep pockets for research, sooner rather than later I believe they'll have a "cure" for the fast turnover of skin cell formation found with seb-derm and dandruff.

Interesting. Thanks guys. I suppose the procedure in the link I posted is only good for acne and etc. But I don't know how good it would be to destroy your sebaceous glands. I have heard that the sebaceous glands in humans are pretty much vestigal though.

PLEASE don't spread misinformation.

Pyrithicone zinc is NOT a cure of seborrheic dermatitis. While their is a link between the yeast and seb derm, it is not the whole case, or else antifungals that I have been using for 6 weeks would have "cured" me, but actually it hasn't done much at all that normal moisturizing has done for me in the past.

While there are connections that pyrithicone zinc can help treat seborrheic dermatitis, it is in NO way a cure, and no dermatologist will say that pyrithicone zinc, cures it.
    Last edited by historybook; 7th April 2008 at 01:17 AM.