Thread: rosacea remission with pregnancy?

Default rosacea remission with pregnancy?

Since my problems seem to have escalated once I was no longer pregnant or breastfeeding, several doctors and family member have suggested that a second pregnancy would cure my skin woes.

Anyone have this experience or know someone who was able to improve their skin during pregnancy? I'm curious, because it seems like it could easily go either way.

Thanks!

- Sari

a lady i work with told me that a friend of her's rocasea completely cleared up when she was pregnant. not sure if it was just during pregnany, or if it remained clear after birth. but yes, i have heard this before.

I didn't have full blown rosacea when I was pregnant (just mild redness on apple of cheeks and dry skin that was acne prone) anyway, my skin looked awesome during my 3 pregnancies! I believe it is due to the estrogen...as it is like 3 or 4 times the normal level and progesterone does increase also but not nearly like estrogen does....and after delivery our estrogen pluments and other hormones surge...prolactin for breastfeeding and so on. I think this drasitic suddenly drop of estrogen can cause a flare up for women that are prone to it.
    Dx 1998

Hi Sari,

As you say, it could go either way. When I was pregnant, 6 years ago, although I looked very healthy, my skin became much more red and flushy than it had ever been, and that continued afterwards. I didn't recognize it as rosacea at the time, and it's only in the last few months that my rosacea has progressed beyond having a "rosy" complexion; but in retrospect I think it was a factor. I was pregnant with twins, though, and went to full term, so there was a lot of blood circulating!

Best wishes,
    Kristina

My face was great when I was pregnant. I had seb derm and while I was pregnant it had gone completely. Also, my face was not red or oily at all!!!!
    But around 6 months after I gave birth to my daughter everything changed. Now my face is redder than before and oily. I believe that my seb derm is back but the good thing is that it's not flaky anymore and the quality of my skin is a lot better. Probably because I quit smoking as soon as I found out I was pregnant.
    Overall I would say that the quality of my skin is better after my pregnancy. The downside however is that it's redder than before