Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Hate My Face

Default I Hate My Face

I'm 32 and I've had what I assume is rosacea for the last 8 years or so. A while back it got to the point where I just couldn't take it anymore. I was tired of everyone asking me why I was red all the time. I don't know much about it other than what I've read on the internet. All I know is that my rosacea never goes away. I'm permanently red, no matter what. For the last few months I've been using Zenmed. It seems to help my rosacea from worsening when I drink or get in the wind or heat, but like I said, it never goes away, just gets worse at times. I have a few pictures here, although they're not that great in quality.

The one weird thing I've noticed about my rosacea is that there's always a normal white patch about the size of two quarters that's never been effected. My facial hair will grow in those spots, but anywhere the redness appears, my facial hair doesn't grow, or it is white. That's the strange part that I don't understand. This is the same on both sides of my face. It's like a rosacea donut from hell.

Anyway, any comments are appreciated. If you would like to maybe explain to me what I have or what you think I may have, your comments are welcome. As I said, I don't know anything more than what I've read on the internet.

.... also, can someone help me with some of the abbreviations that you guys use here? I've seen KP, sub derm, and a couple others. Is there a thread explaining them all? Sorry, I'm new to the place.

Smile

Hi, Im with u with the people asking "why r u so red?" "why dont u go to a Dr?" etc. like u dont see ur face on the mirror when u wake up! Anyways, that same thing happens to me, there r areas on my face that have NO redness at all but I was just diagnosed with this a month ago, my face has been like this for at least the last 6 months, non stop. My derm didnt say anything about the white patches but usually u r the one that has to tel them everything LOL. I use metrogel 1%, oral solodyn, rosanil wash and my face improved a lot but I still get one or 2 or 3 pustules that don't seem to respond to meds, what about u. Do u get itching on the white areas? Sometimes certain fungi are like that Did u take antibiotics in the past? Those may affect pigmentation of the skin, tell me about it, I first used tetracyclines for my acne many years ago. My main flush triggers so far are chocolate, stress (oh really!) enviroment (i hate that the most, before I could go anywhere, camping etc and now Im so worried about my face). Well my friend I hope I helped u a little here. I would like 2 know more about ur experience with Zenmed BTW Im 28.

KP=Keratosis Pilaris
    Seb Derm=Seborreic Dermatitis

Well, it used to be my triggers would be so bad that I would turn purple. I haven't had one of those since I began using the Zenmed. In fact, it was one of those outbreaks that caused me to start using it. We were out drinking with friends, and my girlfriend of all people says to me, "Man, you're purple." I've never felt so crappy in my life.

It has helped a tiny bit to fade the redness, but not a whole lot. I'll notice dots on my face where it has completely healed it, but they're pretty unnoticeable unless you're right on top of the mirror.

As far as the white spots on my face. They're both about the size of a quarter, and they're in the exact same spot on both sides of my face with the redness surrounding them. That just seems weird to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ajjacoby View Post
    I'm 32 and I've had what I assume is rosacea for the last 8 years or so. A while back it got to the point where I just couldn't take it anymore. I was tired of everyone asking me why I was red all the time. I don't know much about it other than what I've read on the internet. All I know is that my rosacea never goes away. I'm permanently red, no matter what. For the last few months I've been using Zenmed. It seems to help my rosacea from worsening when I drink or get in the wind or heat, but like I said, it never goes away, just gets worse at times. I have a few pictures here, although they're not that great in quality.

The one weird thing I've noticed about my rosacea is that there's always a normal white patch about the size of two quarters that's never been effected. My facial hair will grow in those spots, but anywhere the redness appears, my facial hair doesn't grow, or it is white. That's the strange part that I don't understand. This is the same on both sides of my face. It's like a rosacea donut from hell.

Anyway, any comments are appreciated. If you would like to maybe explain to me what I have or what you think I may have, your comments are welcome. As I said, I don't know anything more than what I've read on the internet.
    Your cheeks look a lot like mine. You are lucky in one sense, I have that exact distribution on my forehead as well, mostly red with a couple of white patches just to make certain that it doesn't look like I just got some sun!

You don't appear to have any papules or pustules (the acne component of Rosacea). My guess, you would likely benefit from laser treatment (IPL or PDL) which would both decrease your current redness, and if done properly, reduce your flushing/blushing response to triggers such as wind/cold and possibly alcohol. Alcohol btw is one of my major triggers and currently I have not had a drink in over 6 months, has helped significantly.

The Intensed Pulse Light and Laser Sub-Forum has tons of information you will find helpful. I would also highly recommend that you try and locate a dermatologist where you are living who has experience treating Rosacea, that will help as well.

Good luck and a little advice: people kept asking me why I was so red, etc., etc. After a while I started telling them I had Rosacea and explaining to them what it is and what a pain in the ass it is...no one asks anymore, in fact a few people started e-mailing me articles and studies on Rosacea hoping to help. The key is to educate people on it and don't just shrug it aside because you don't want to talk about it, the help and support you will receive can only improve matters.

I think you have a handsome face, a little redness does not detract from that.

Your face looks similar to mine in regards to the redness, but in addition my nose is also red. For me the nose thing is the worst, I think that the redness on my cheeks is easier to cope with than the nose.

I also have the white spots creating the "donut"-like shape on my cheeks, and I think the reason is how the facial bones go. When you stand straight the sun will shine on the patches most protruded and the cheekbones will make the upper shin and the ridge over the nose stand out more. The white parts is actually somewhat protected because it's centered on the shin that sinks in a little creating a small shadow, more protected from the sun.

ajjacoby,

Judging from your pictures you dont have a red line that runs across the bridge of your nose. But maybe the photos hide that? Is that red line ever there? Do you have that red symetrical mask that runs across the bridge of your nose and around your cheeks? It should look like someone has airbrushed that area in pink/red. That mask is symptomatic of Rosacea.

From your pictures it looks like you have KP. That white spot and the donut effect it gives is symtomatic of KP. Do you have very small plugging of your pores/hair follicles around the red areas of your face? Does you skin have a rough look to it?

yes i agree with the previous posting..the pattern of redness with the white in the middle is typical of KPRF, which I have. Yours isn't terribly bad. Look for tiny bumps really close up on you face. Its usually accompanied by KP on the body (keratosis pilaris), usually on upper arms, legs, buttocks.

laser, specifically pulse dye Vbeam is your best bet.

Terry