Thread: LUX versus power/output/MCD

Post LUX versus power/output/MCD

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum.
    (Forgive me my somewhat poor English; I am Dutch).

First of all thank you guys for all the effort youíve been putting into this research on LLLT!

I Recently got myself two handheld devices, one yellow 590nm and one red 630-660-730-880nm.
    After two sessions holding the lights up to my face, I realized this is not the way to go when it comes down to long term/everyday commitment.

So a different approach is needed.

In time I would like to build a DIY unit, kind of like IowaDavid and Ivan have built (brilliant pieces of work!) but it will take a good while to figure out how exactly I want to do this and Iíll have to find a person with the skills (which I donít have) to build such a device.

As an alternative for now I am planning on making a unit with a couple of E27 screw base grow light bulbs, acne lamp kind of style, but with more bulbs and affordable.
    It seems that the wavelength of most of these grow light bulbs is in the 650-670nm range and the bulbs are usually around 5 inches in diameter, so I think a unit with 6 of these bulbs would do a great job in covering the whole face.

I came accros this grow light bulb on eBay (www.hiddenhydro.com):

These are the specifics:

Type and number of LEDs per bulb:
    High power 5 mm light emitting diodes (168 LEDs).
    Wavelength: 650 nm +/- 5nm
    Luminance in LUX centre: 4680 LUX
    3 inches down: 1700 LUX
    6 inches down: 110 LUX
    Power consumption: 10 watt
    Viewing angle of each LED: 30 degrees.
    MCD: 60-8000 MCD.

So far this bulb looks promising but what about these LUX data?

Before I had any interest in lamps I always thought that LUX refers to brightness only, but now Iím not quite sure. Do LUX data in some kind of way also refer to power or output or MCD?
    I am the first to admit that I am completely clueless about stuff like this.

So, anyoneís opinion on this bulbís LUX data and/or its capacity for RLT purposes would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi and welcome

I thnik you are right -lux appears to mean brightness.

I have no real expereince in RLT so am not best placed to comment but it appears that wavelength is the first consideration when buying a red light as it is this that will define the healing.

I am guessing that the brightness would perhaps define how long or how close you can go to it or what type of googles you should go for. It may also indicate that the sort of heat given off. In order to really know you will have to compare the levels listed with other commercial red light machines (used for skin issues).

It is very important to ensure that they are low powered leds (as opposed to high powered one).

As i said this is really outside my knowledge and so I would advise that you perhaps PM Iowadavid as he has built his own machine. Alternatively it may be easier to just buy one ready made.
    Last edited by phlika29; 31st March 2008 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks for the link.

I'll do some more research on the bulb.

Wink Growlight principle

Would you be able to send me some technical showing the spectral distribution and the power input to a light system?
    The working theory of Led light tube is PSU (Power Supply Unit), + Led diodes + PCB + Cover (Glass or PC)
    Let's analyse the every part of it,
    PSU: the input voltage can be R&Ded, now it's 80VAC ~ 264VAC,(AC to DC), using DC to dirve Led diodes
    Led diodes:
    Solar radiation is composed of of many different wavelengths light solar radiation with the wavelength distribution of what we call the solar spectrum. To reach the ground, solar radiation, including ultraviolet, visible and infrared in three parts. In the solar spectrum for plant life from the most important thing is the visible part (wavelength of 0.4 ~ 0.76μm), but the ultraviolet (wavelength of 0.01 ~ 0.4μm) and infrared (wavelength of 0.76 ~ 1000μm) has some significance. Scientific experiments have proved that different wavelengths of light on plant growth have different effects. blue-violet and green in visible light help the plant grow in the bud and play a significant role in the plants' shape (short and thick) ; At the same time, blue-violet light is the most dominant cell differentiation important light; blue-violet light can also affect the phototropism of plants. UV radiation is to enable the plant to certain growth hormone in vivo by inhibiting the formation, and thus inhibited the stem elongation; ultraviolet light also can cause a sensitive phototropism, and to visible light of blue, purple and green, the promotion of merocyanine pigment formation. Visible light in red and non-visible light in the infrared, can promote the seed or spore germination and stem elongation. Red light can also promote the decomposition of carbon dioxide and chlorophyll formation. In addition, different wavelengths of light for photosynthesis, plants also have influence on the product, such as the red light is conducive to the synthesis of carbohydrates, Blu-ray in favor of protein and organic acid synthesis.

Therefore, in agricultural production through the impact of light quality control the product of photosynthesis, can improve crop quality. Or at high altitude alpine plants, half are shorter short stem, leaf area reduced, fluffy hair developed, chlorophyll increased, stems and leaves have anthocyanins exist, flowers are the color characteristics, it is because of the low temperature in the mountains, coupled with UV.

We receive customers' requirements as we choose the right wavelength to develop, right now we have only 1 size 640nm red.7W/60cm led tube.For specific application, the right wavelength will be choose.